↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 57 of 84 <123 ... 565758 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
Green&Gold

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Willow Green
Looks fantastic, need to consider doing the same.
Zagato wrote:
After shots as promised from this weeks work. A damn good clean, chequer plate always time consuming but mint now... just have to do the mudflaps, it's a dog truck used as intended so won't stay clean for long but the three layers of polish will help preserve the paint as well as the full body and chassis treatment. Unfortunately it wasn't treated sooner Sad but the owner is a top bloke, is not worried, he has a near new collectors Defender so no problem. Even on a 2009 reg it has holes on both sides of the body capping under the rear windows... get them treated folks, saves so much time and money preventing these nasty issues and it won't drop by maybe 3k in price as well by all the body corrosion that could be prevented.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #757789 10th Feb 2019 3:49pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
JUST TO CLARITY THE WORK DONE BELOW IN THE SECOND PICTURE WAS NOT DONE BY ME FROM A FEW POSTS AGO!

This is my work using Dinitrol, I am not criticising the other work it is just different, 4941 Dinitrol underbody is smart matt black and not sticky.

Click image to enlarge

[quote="Johan H"]I just got the Puma back from rust prevention (NOT ZAGATO). I have now done it three times since new.
Here som pics, in some weird way I get a lot of satisfaction looking at these.

Click image to enlarge
Post #757905 11th Feb 2019 8:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Green&Gold

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Willow Green
Thanks, clearly a big difference, chalk and cheese! Thumbs Up
Post #758007 11th Feb 2019 5:52pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks, takes time just getting the muck out!!

This is the Defender the pic was taken from which has just gone out, a really nice 15K Defender, untouched, original spec Cool

Click image to enlarge

It didn't look look like that when it arrived but I couldn't resist giving her a gentle wash to show her off Very Happy Have to admit I wish I hadn't sold my new 2010 Defender Big Cry it would still be mint now Wink

As a contrast I am working on a new Toyota battery thingy this week, gutless apparently up hills Confused

Click image to enlarge
Post #759260 17th Feb 2019 6:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jb71

United Kingdom 
Took my 90 over to Chris today at lunchtime.

Back in Jan 2016 I picked it up new from the showroom and drove it straight to Chris's house where he then spent the next few days giving it a full protection.

It leads a fairly pampered life but it is still used pretty much daily and despite this, the work that Chris did at the time has meant that now 20k miles on the car is still in superb condition underneath and around the body.

It'll go back to Chris in the coming months where it will have a top up in any places that Chris deems necessary, which should then see it through the next few years.

Money well spent in my books!

Thanks Chris Thumbs Up
Post #761410 1st Mar 2019 5:29pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Picture of 'Green&gold's little truck Cool

Click image to enlarge
Post #767144 6th Apr 2019 6:41am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Recently treated another 70th Anniversary model which was much needed, unfortunately the owners have no idea about the corrosion on them despite LR's insistance they have been done properly Rolling Eyes Shocking on such an expensive vehicle. All treated once again with ACF -50, and clear Dinitrol Corroheat so now look fantastic underneath and the usual body areas are protected Cool no pictures i am afraid as the owners understandably don't want there vehicles identified with corrosion.

A different picture instead then of this weeks work. A 55 year old Two Stroke SAAB 96, and still mint underneath Shocked if only LR would underseal there range from new, it,s not just Defenders that start bubbling with corrosion on body and chassis after two years, many were rusting in show rooms, including Disco's and Range Rovers. I do these now also for those that want to protect their investment.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #768375 13th Apr 2019 7:36am
L110CDL

England 
Nice Saab, haven't seen one that old for a long time, thanks for the pic Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #768765 15th Apr 2019 9:23pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I like seeing all these pics, thanks Zagato. Bow down

I wonder if white wall tyres will ever come back in fashion Whistle James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #768797 16th Apr 2019 8:41am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
A Defence Secretary's personal 90 used as an off-road toy when in the country that I have done from new regularly and another one straight out of the muck fresh from Morocco.

Click image to enlarge

The only way to get the muck out is with the aid of a decent pressure washer. A lot of people ask what I use so this is it, a commercial spec Kranzle HD 7/122 TS. Make sure you get the TS version and ideally you will need a 90 degree lance. I have also had made up specially a smaller hand held gun only inches long. Despite appearances it Is very heavy so get one with wheels if you need it. This is more of a garage based one. It is about £500 but will last years compared to Karchers/Nilfisk that are designed to last 40-50 hours. This is in a different league, brass, stainless steel etc components and even has its own oil dipstick!

Have fun and thanks to all my clients for providing such internationally varied soil for my tommies to grow in Very Happy

I am doing top ups for £150 if any of mine need doing after 4-5 years Thumbs Up
Post #776023 3rd Jun 2019 9:59am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great work! I do wish you were closer Big Cry Mine was done by others 3 years ago and could really do with a go over. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #776026 3rd Jun 2019 10:26am
NormanD

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Chris, where did you get the 'smaller hand held gun only inches long' from and at what cost?
I suffer the same problem as when trying to clean underneath as the supplied lance is much too long and doesn't point in the right direction.
I have the same pressure washer, excellent piece of kit. NormanD WE191

2015 110 XS Utility
2014 VW Caravelle 180 Executive
Post #776751 8th Jun 2019 7:28pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Hi Norman, it is a M2000 gun with a 22mm x 1/4 adapter with a 030 nozzle. You probably just need the adapter and nozzle about £30 posted from Aquaspray 01925 444464 speak to Keith if you cannot get it locally. Oh and even the fastest guns in the south should wear goggles with these Shocked Wink not to mention a snorkel and wetsuit!

Click image to enlarge
Post #776756 8th Jun 2019 7:58pm
NormanD

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Chris, thanks for the info, shopping to be done Monday NormanD WE191

2015 110 XS Utility
2014 VW Caravelle 180 Executive
Post #776762 8th Jun 2019 8:31pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Love this colour Cool

Click image to enlarge

So from the top....

Thorough clean and flush.
Windows sealed.
Bonnet to bulkhead hinges plates whichever are bare metal in between and many are blowing treated, as well as under rear tub cappings also bare metal underneath completely exposed and can rot through on weld points under rear windows in 5 years Shocked
Window catch, wing mirrors, hinges, wiper spigots, air intake screws and clips, slam panel, engine bay brackets, catches, fasteners etc, bulkhead, top of chassis.
Bulkhead top via redundant wiper spigot holes and seal against water ingress.
Window blocks.
Radiator frame, headlight rims, screws, bumper fasteners, inner bumper.
Footwell and bulkhead fasteners and brackets down to little screws. A and B post.
Bottoms of doors with ACF-50 then penetrant wax. ACF-50 design specifically for electrolysis so use it.
For 110's, rivets, seat base fasteners and rivet heads, seat belt nut, etc.
Cavity flushed and filled near seat base end from underneath, removal of grommet!
Chassis exterior acid rust converted with Dinitrol RC900, then layer of Dinitrol ML, then layer of Dinitrol 4941 Underbody Wax plus Dinitrol 447 Stonechip for rear wheel arch etc
"Sills treated with ACF-50 then ML not heavy underbody wax, just trapping in corrosion otherwise!
Chassis needs small extension nozzle to get into every small hole on crossmembers, no good just spraying underneath with a gun! Includes rear tub spreaders which rot unseen.
Axles, brackets, fuel tank cover, diesel filter cover, etc etc as well as sidesteps, rear step, rear crossmember.

It,s no good just washing the chassis and spraying underneath with a gun on a compressor, you need to get into the small holes for effective rust prevention from inside out and don,t use a rock hard buzzweld product, you are just hiding the rot underneath. It won,t stop rust, just stop it showing through an impenetrable layer, it was designed originally to be a rock hard coating for rear tub load beds as an alternative for putting down plyboard.

Addressing the body is equally important, especially rear cappings...

Have fun.... or I can do it for you Very Happy

Last edited by Zagato on 29th Jun 2019 4:02pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #779514 29th Jun 2019 10:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 57 of 84 <123 ... 565758 ... 828384>