↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Removing (temp) TD5 air con / footwell foam insulation query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
Removing (temp) TD5 air con / footwell foam insulation query
Hi, I am stripping the interior of my 110 and attempting amongst other things to fix various leak points in the front dash/windscreen/footwells. Can anyone tell me what I need to do the remove the aircon lower dash section. I have unscrewed the centre and side screws but the blower unit is fixed to what I think will be an insulated gas pipe.

Do I need to get it emptied first then remove. I want to remove the sound proofing footwell cover so can get for corrosion and monitor everything for leaks.

On another note, are the footwell foam insulation/soundproofing sections that I'm removing any good and should be kept? Given that there is naff all soundproofing over the tunnel, seatbox, second row and rear tub, tis probably making very little difference. I plan on trying to rectify this however.

Thanks for advice
Post #532550 18th May 2016 12:35am
nickhodgson

If there is gas in your aircon you need to have it removed then you can disconnect the pipes and remove the whole aircon unit. After disconnecting the wiring.

Depending on the model the sound insulation fitted to the footwells and bulkhead is pretty good. Also depends on what sort of condition yours is in. I have in the past fitted Tdci or TD5 insulations to other defenders (with a few small modifications) and have been happy with the result. 1995 300tdi Defender 90 P/UP
2011 Puma Defender 130 D/C
2000 300tdi Defender 110 P/UP
2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
Post #532561 18th May 2016 6:38am
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
thanks finally managed to remove in the end. Those footwell inserts do look good but seem to act as water sponges for the leaks! If I can get them all plugged will probably add dynamat to the panels, replace them and cover with carpet.
Post #532787 18th May 2016 9:40pm
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
incase others wanting to remove the zircon part of the dash its done as so.

degas the system. Mine was totally empty!
unscrew the 2 screws either end of the dash and the central large screw. This detaches the whole unit.
unplug the multi connector on the back of the central fuse box.
unplug the condensation pipe in the foot well.
from the engine bay side unscrew the two screws that hold the pipes from the compressor to the round part that pokes thru the footwell vertical panel. This sits in a rubber ring.
from in the footwell gradually wobbles the unit and pull until the connector pulls thru the rubber ring and the whole unit comes away.

Bobs your uncle!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #532794 18th May 2016 9:53pm
thewrongspeed

Scotland 2000 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Epsom Green
Currently facing the same situation of wanting to remove the OEM soundproofing to take a look at (and treat) the bulkhead areas above the pedal boxes and the passenger footwell. I really don't want to have to be removing the aircon stuff every time I want to gain access to those area so I think I'm going to cut the soundproofing into three sections. It seems that cutting it either side of the tunnel should make access really easy in future. He says, hoping.
Post #1040804 23rd Jul 2024 12:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1