↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 56 of 84 <123 ... 555657 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Merry Christmas all, hope you all got some LR goodies in your stockings this morning! Thumbs Up
Post #747273 25th Dec 2018 8:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Apologies for the poor picture but I just wanted to relay my sad excitement of getting a Defender in, the first since Christmas! I have been working on Supras, brand new cars and even a Robin Reliant but just as a 2012 Discovery went out (I am now also on the sister Discovery site, don't worry they rust just as much as a Defender, the same shocking lack of decent paint process on the chassis, if not worse due to the design) a 2009 Defender came in, covered in Censored , stinking of dogs and surface corrosion everywhere... Excellent, love it, I can really get my teeth stuck into this girl, to my delight James the owner who uses this 90 as intended and is not interested in show queens (more on that later as he has a Defender withy only 400 miles on it) has agreed for me to do my usual rust prevention treatment on his 90 plus sorting out and re-painting the rear cross member plus a complete clean and polish... well as soon as James left I was on it, so excited, even on a Sunday, the pressure washer and steam cleaner came out after digging out all the muck and giving her a thorough flush. I am going to transform this girl and will enjoy every minute of it. Before and after pics to follow.

Funny ain't it... but some things in life just define you, a Defender is what I am about... luv em! I know of a mint 65 plate adventure 110 for sale that I did from new and it,s mint... would I love to preserve that. Perhaps I should change my morality, advertise extensively, mis lead folks about the work, rip everyone off, build an empire, buy grand houses, run around in super cars etc etc Nooooooooooooooooooo. What comes around goes around yer idiots, i have seen fools go down this road so many times and know of them now, yes even the big so called companies in LR magazines.

Do an honest days work for a days pay. Flashy cars and lifestyle doesn,t mean a thing. Who cares but you? It will all come crumbling down repeatedly, destroying your relationships, family, life etc. You may have the nounce, character, and front to keep a business pushing thorough against all the complaints and claims but where does it get you in life. Most could do that, it,s nothing to be proud of, the effort you put into robbing people could easily be put into the honest work in hand. So what have you accomplished, who are you at the end of the day and your life. Just a hyped up shallow person. It,s so easy to wack a car up on a ramp, ignore the rust and hide it with thick black Censored ! Why not respect yourself and those you know, take pride in your work, be proud of yourself and do a proper job.... you will be nothing in life otherwise despite what you drive...

OK sorry, on a rant, had a beer or three but sorting people out on the straight and narrow was a past career of mine as a senior manager responsible for a borough youth and community service.. although I have ALWAYS been rust obsessed since stripping my first SAAB down at 13 years old. There were plenty of unethical egos in the community service environment who became senior international figures but what empty lives and lonely characters they became... reliant on how people perceived them for their job description. Criminals at the end of the day only accountable by how many times they can close and re-open a business. More should be done to quash those that make a career out of taking advantage of others for financial gain.

Just to add, my next three jobs are Defenders, happy days, I am not rich but my wife who has always been a teacher enjoys her life and our two kids... life is about family, good relationships and real friends... money doesn,t mean a thing past a basic level. Apologies for the sermon/rant... the beer has kicked in Rolling with laughter

Last edited by Zagato on 21st Jan 2019 8:35am. Edited 7 times in total
Post #752613 20th Jan 2019 3:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Amen brother.
Post #752633 20th Jan 2019 4:59pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Good on you. That’s how I run my business too. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #752639 20th Jan 2019 5:31pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Thumbs Up Bow down James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #752643 20th Jan 2019 5:39pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Sorry I was on one last night Embarassed having just heard a very well known company is back on the scene!

Anyway... "Hey kids, Zag here, stick around and stay tuned for another top tip". ACF-50 is quite effective under Dinitrol ML, and 4941 where an acid converter is tricky to use e.g. in hidden areas or metal which flexes such as springs. It takes the Dinitrol longer to go off and may not fully set but it is enough to be resilient to wear and the rust is stabalised underneath. I treated an area on my car with just ACF-50 and it has not rusted anymore after a year, I also treated my springs plus 4941 Underbody wax on top and scraping it back the corrosion has not got any worse. The ACF-50 pump is useless, aerosols are better but if you have a compressor and want to go wholesale on something a high pressure, low volume paint gun is the way to go Thumbs Up
Post #752732 21st Jan 2019 8:27am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Any oblique hints possible about who the 'very well known' company is please?
Post #752813 21st Jan 2019 4:49pm
Rickydodah

Zagato wrote:
Sorry I was on one last night Embarassed having just heard a very well known company is back on the scene!

Anyway... "Hey kids, Zag here, stick around and stay tuned for another top tip". ACF-50 is quite effective under Dinitrol ML, and 4941 where an acid converter is tricky to use e.g. in hidden areas or metal which flexes such as springs. It takes the Dinitrol longer to go off and may not fully set but it is enough to be resilient to wear and the rust is stabalised underneath. I treated an area on my car with just ACF-50 and it has not rusted anymore after a year, I also treated my springs plus 4941 Underbody wax on top and scraping it back the corrosion has not got any worse. The ACF-50 pump is useless, aerosols are better but if you have a compressor and want to go wholesale on something a high pressure, low volume paint gun is the way to go Thumbs Up

Not Zeibart surely? I started with nothing and still have most of it left!
Post #752825 21st Jan 2019 5:49pm
APK

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
Zagato wrote:
I am not rich but my wife who has always been a teacher enjoys her life and our two kids... life is about family, good relationships and real friends...

Sounds like wealth to me!

Will keep coming back to you Zagato Very Happy APK

MY2016 110 Adventure Corris Grey
MY1997 110 County Station Wagon 300 Tdi Alpine White
Post #752991 21st Jan 2019 11:09pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
After shots as promised from this weeks work. A damn good clean, chequer plate always time consuming but mint now... just have to do the mudflaps, it's a dog truck used as intended so won't stay clean for long but the three layers of polish will help preserve the paint as well as the full body and chassis treatment. Unfortunately it wasn't treated sooner Sad but the owner is a top bloke, is not worried. Even on a 2009 reg it has holes on both sides of the body capping under the rear windows... get them treated folks, saves so much time and money preventing these nasty issues and it won't drop by maybe 3k in price as well by all the body corrosion that could be prevented.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Zagato on 19th Feb 2019 5:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #753703 24th Jan 2019 6:48pm
London 52

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
And that is how's it done!! Bow down Bow down
Post #753735 24th Jan 2019 8:42pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Very nice work Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #753741 24th Jan 2019 8:52pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks folks but to be honest the pictures make it look better, it's a pretty rotten dog truck so the work which I am not proud of and the price reflects that, you would need to spend at least a couple of days on the body alone but not for £40! No point in counter productive efforts and cost although I did more hours on this and enjoyed it, why not it,s stress free work and enjoyable transforming something. I am more into REALLY nice condition vehicles that I can get really anal about. I used to win quite a few Concourse de Elegance cups at club level for my detailed hobby. That is what I really enjoy, treating every nut, and cleaning every millimetre as I am doing tonight with my own bonnet in the lounge Rolling with laughter this is when my efforts are really effective.

Click image to enlarge

EDIT... The pictures of the work in Johans post below was not done by me.

Last edited by Zagato on 19th Feb 2019 5:41pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #753757 24th Jan 2019 9:12pm
L110CDL

England 
Totally agree with you there on your rant/sermon Thumbs Up

I am the same and have the same views as you, very nice work on the 90, i do love to clean Millie and i could spend a day or two on doing it, pure therapy Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #753768 24th Jan 2019 9:39pm
Johan H

Finland 
I just got the Puma back from rust prevention. I have now done it three times since new.
Here som pics, in some weird way I get a lot of satisfaction looking at these.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #756265 4th Feb 2019 3:49pm