↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > What the hell is wrong with some people?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 14 <123 ... 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
I am in my 70's and have not been outside the house for 8 days. The prospect is that this will continue for another 11 weeks.
Neither I , nor Small , relish that , but if we can do it anyone can. Take up a new interest, learn a language, if you have a garden use it..do some decorating, etc. We cannot even volunteer because of our ages, but you might be able to. We would if we could.
This is a dreadful time, but it is a lot worse for others.
Good luck to you all and stay safe.
Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #821319 25th Mar 2020 9:56pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
markb110 wrote:
Dare I say it (and not meaning to give any offence or excuses for the idiots) we in this country are not used to death as a society.

Death is something most people see through a Hollywood film, and then see the same actor in the next movie.

CNN and Sky news show disasters and wars around the world but show only broken buildings, not broken bodies so not to cause offence or risk complaints.

People pass away behind closed doors (hospital, care home) not in view of neighbours. having sat with both parents for their last 24 hrs it is certainly not like the Walton's or any other TV show. I'll leave that there.

Until these people lose friends and families it will never hit home because death only happens to someone else, not directly affecting their lives.

The law and with the backing of the army has to go in hard, but fare, we cannot appear to be like a communist country.

Our troops must also be given the assurance that their judgement is final and that there is not a bleeding heart lawyer waiting to pounce in ten years time.

Stay safe all.

I’ve seen too much death and sadness for any one life in my career and I’m sorry to say that it’s broken me. I can’t carry on intensive care medicine any longer (confession - I’ve burnt out twice now, and so I’m stopping for my own good).

Death is Ok most of the time. Eventually, we all die. If it’s any comfort death is far, far more unpleasant to watch than it is to die. The body has ways of disconnecting consciousness near the end and we can ‘manage’ most suffering (Palliative Medicine has made an entire medical specialty of it).

What’s worrying me is that sometimes death isn’t right nor fair nor just. Those deaths haunt you. You carry them with you. I carry many with me (and the cries and desperation of their loved ones). There will potentially be many unfair, unjust deaths in the coming months if we lack absolute resources to treat. That is terrifying to me.

I will, no doubt, be thrown back into the deep end these coming weeks - as I have the required experience and ‘skill set’.
Post #821322 25th Mar 2020 9:59pm
Slideywindows

England 
Sobering ^.
Post #821343 25th Mar 2020 11:06pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Doc P. If you end up back on the front line, then thank you. Always think of the people’s lives that you have saved rather than the ones that were beyond saving. There will no doubt be many kids and maybe grandkids alive today who otherwise wouldn’t be here had you not saved someone years ago. 👍
Post #821361 25th Mar 2020 11:52pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
doc p I lost my both parents and fiancée in hospital the staff was fantastic if it was not for them I would have been totally lost my parents was a good age so you can accept that my fiancée was 28 and died in my arms the hurt is unbelievable . . if was not for people like yourself taking time to look after someone you don't know what a sad place it would be can I say with all my heart thank you
Post #821392 26th Mar 2020 8:51am
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I’m truly sorry for your loss.

I have saved lives and I do get thanks from patients and families.

Thank you for your kind words. I’m wallowing in a little self pity, that’s all. Don’t worry - I am getting help and I have still got the other half of my job to go to full time in (anaesthetics).

What’s important is that we can all do the right thing.
Post #821406 26th Mar 2020 9:44am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Hear, hear to that. It is heart-warming that over 400,000 people agree with you.

There are far more people doing the right thing (far more than just those who have volunteered for the NHS) than there are mindless morons as mentioned in another thread. A national crisis brings out the best in us. Just one example from many, round here the taxi drivers are now running a free delivery service for pharmacies, organised entirely off their own bat.
Post #821407 26th Mar 2020 9:53am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
The main problem is that with so many TV Radio channels and all the other online distractions to choose from and not all of them carrying the message a lot of people don't understand because they don't get the message direct. I am amazed that the Government hasn't directed all media and online distractions carry the message repeatedly so that the message gets through.

I saw a local TV report on Tuesday, the reporter asked to elderly people why they were out on a shopping high street. The reply staggered me and Mrs Arc.
Woman "Just out shopping luv but the shops are all shut".
Reporter " but you are not supposed to be outside"
reply from woman "Why is something going on?"
Reporter "Don't you watch the news or read the papers about the Covid spreading"
reply " No we switch over when the news comes on, nothing worth listening to on it".
The reporter just looked down the lens of the camera and shook his head.

It must be hard to get children to understand what's going on. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #821413 26th Mar 2020 10:16am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
My 87 year old Father in Law lives with us and he is in total denial about the Corona virus pandemic, despite watching all the continual advice on TV he still wants to go out, Barbara has had quite a few robust discussions with him about staying at home. We have quite a large garden which he can wander around in but he just doesn’t get it.
Post #821420 26th Mar 2020 10:41am
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Doc P wrote:

I’ve seen too much death and sadness for any one life in my career and I’m sorry to say that it’s broken me. I can’t carry on intensive care medicine any longer (confession - I’ve burnt out twice now, and so I’m stopping for my own good).

Death is Ok most of the time. Eventually, we all die. If it’s any comfort death is far, far more unpleasant to watch than it is to die. The body has ways of disconnecting consciousness near the end and we can ‘manage’ most suffering (Palliative Medicine has made an entire medical specialty of it).

What’s worrying me is that sometimes death isn’t right nor fair nor just. Those deaths haunt you. You carry them with you. I carry many with me (and the cries and desperation of their loved ones). There will potentially be many unfair, unjust deaths in the coming months if we lack absolute resources to treat. That is terrifying to me.

Damn Mate, hope you're OK.

I had an incident a few years ago that left me heavily traumatized and numb, bottled it up and only became worse. it would go round and round in my head for hours, Days,weeks, months and years. I Struggled with sleep. I wondered how i would do next time despite there being no next time, how i could have done things different and how that could have had a different outcome... I refused to admit i had a problem.

I saw councillors, and all that and asking how i felt about it didn't help me one bit.

One day i saw somebody in a similar situation online and i wrote down what had happened in my event second by second, i wrote it factually and without emotion. It helped me to accept what had happened, that i acted correctly, that i would do the same again under the circumstances and got a lot of Thoughts out of my mind. Really helped me.

I went from having daily reminders of my incident set off by a cool breeze to maybe only thinking about it months apart. Today being an exception.

I'm not going to lie and say that i'm all OK, but i'm mostly there. I struggle with Relationships as i can seem distant and protective.

Ultimately it doesn't matter where i was, what i did and under what circumstances i was under.
It all boils down to that I was there and did the best that i could given the circumstances, nobody and not even myself could have asked for more.

Not saying you should do what i did, but accepting that you have a problem is the first and largest step. It can only get better DocP and i hope it does. I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #821428 26th Mar 2020 11:06am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
It mainly seems to be the young and the old who don’t get it.

I don’t wish to generalise as there are more than enough sensible people in those age ranges like Swine & Small and my parents who do get it and are acting sensibly.

I don’t think it helped publicising that Prince Charles has tested positive but has mild symptoms and is otherwise well. This is why people aren’t listening and is ammunition for their actions and attitude. “If I get it I will get mild symptoms”. Tell that to the parents of 21 year old girl Chloe Middleton who sadly passed away with Covid-19 Shocked
Post #821429 26th Mar 2020 11:13am
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
rashers I could not agree with you more we need to get on with it and do our bit where and if we can there's a report saying a infant has died in America that's just awful
Post #821439 26th Mar 2020 12:30pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
About time the law stepped in.

There's been a number of reports of people coughing at the UK's key workers while claiming to have coronavirus.

Today Max Hill QC, the Director of Public Prosecutions for England and Wales, said he was appalled by these reports - and warned that anyone who deliberately coughs at police, NHS staff or shop workers who are keeping the nation going will face the full force of the law.

That's because coughing at anyone at all - including the public - in such circumstances is assault. The maximum sentence for common assault is six months in jail - and up to two years for attacking an emergency worker carrying out their duties.

Mr Hill says: “Let me be very clear: this is a crime and needs to stop. The CPS stands behind emergency and essential workers and will not hesitate to prosecute anybody who threatens them as they go about their vital duties.” For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #821470 26th Mar 2020 4:19pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Appalling gilarion Crying or Very sad

Again, we have reports today that Prince Charles is back 'working' at his desk with Covid-19.

I wish they weren't reporting this. It is adding fuel to the people who think that this thing is a walk in the park. 'Charles is 71, he got it, he's ok, I will be too'.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar...e-analysis

This story from the Guardian explains how Spain got it absolutely horribly wrong and are now paying the cost. It's a bit of a read but very scary.
Post #821507 26th Mar 2020 9:09pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
This year will go down in history, As the year the world shut down.
We are going to have some hard times a head, people going to be a out of work, businesses are going to struggle.
But a lot of people are not thinking about that at all, the more they are out and about for no reason at all, the more we will have to wait. Me and my dad couldn't believe how busy our road was! it was just like a normal working day! It should be like a sunday afternoon or a very early in the morning.
I thought last year was a bad one for some of us, looks like this one has got the full world on its knees.
We have even had a fight broke out down our local B&Q, i think that was over the place closing its doors.
All stupid if you ask me, we should be doing our bit and staying at home, yeah there isnt much to do, at home. But you can always take up a new hobby. I have rebooted one of my hobbies. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #821534 26th Mar 2020 11:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 14 <123 ... 121314>