↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Painting Internal Brickwork - Garage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Painting Internal Brickwork - Garage
Not strictly an LR query but the garage will be used for fixing them so I hope that's close enough Very Happy

We've recently bought a house and before I drag all of my tools/clutter from storage, I'd like to paint the internal garage walls white to make it a bit brighter. The garage is free-standing, single skin brickwork with breeze block column on each side and there's a DPM along the bottom. Is throwing a few coats of masonry paint going to cause any problems with damp? It felt quite damp after the rain last month but we've subsequently fixed the missing roof tiles so hopefully that has cured it.

There also seems to be multiple types of brick used with structural bricks going 7 courses up and then a combination of the stripy bricks shown on the right of the picture and sandy bricks for columns on the left of the picture plus the breeze blocks at each side. I've read up online and there appears to be a lot of discussion about painting Fletton bricks which I think these might be, can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance, Harry

Click image to enlarge
 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #824961 13th Apr 2020 1:17pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I did my garage with white masonry paint 7 years ago and it still looks great if you can see past all the crap and spider webs. I didn’t have any damp problems though.

Whilst it is empty, I would strongly recommend doing as much as you can to make it dry, warm and smooth of floor, as once you start filling it up you’ll never have the opportunity again. I insulated where I could, mostly the ceiling, put a load of extra sockets in, ran water to a sink, had it plastered, and laid a smooth floor. I now spend more time in there than I do in the house! 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #824963 13th Apr 2020 1:29pm
Oldsalt

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
I used masonry paint on my garage walls nearly ten years ago and it still looks good and with no damp problems. I would suggest painting floor as well as the main problem was persistent dust from the concrete floor, I sealed it first with diluted pva and then used garage floor paint (Hammerites I think), it could probably do with recoating now but the dust problem disappeared permanently.
Post #824988 13th Apr 2020 3:12pm
TACK

Like above painted mine 8 years ago with masonry paint. Did it with a roller. Been fine.
Post #824990 13th Apr 2020 3:36pm
Chugga90

From the picture you posted, they do not look like fletton or LBC rubbish.
They look like a very hard class B engineering type brick or similar format, ie hollow with holes on there inner structure.
You should not get any damp through the bricks, might through the mortar joints if it’s exposed or ground level up higher than slab level?

Couple of coats of masonry paint should be fine.

Thumbs Up
Post #824993 13th Apr 2020 3:38pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I laid a new floor in mine and floated it do as to avoid the forever painting the floor requirement. Walls, I have a mix of brick and block. Just painted the lot white 11 years ago. Very please I did it. No prep nothing just straight on. Still all ok now. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #825015 13th Apr 2020 6:21pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
If worried about damp check that the DPM hasn't been bridged both inside and out. It may be my eyes but is the DPM at floor level?. If it is single skin it could be that water is being wicked through the bricks/mortar, you should be able to sort this by applying a clear sealer on the outside making sure to stay above the DPM. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #825143 14th Apr 2020 10:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1