Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #821990 29th Mar 2020 11:07am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
zilch wrote:
RDR wrote:
Thats cheating not using the OEM scissor jack Laughing ]

Thumbs Up

I think I've seen a trolley jack used in one video, and the scissor jack in another. I guess if you're not paying for the tyres or any consequential damage you don't really care about hammering the vehicles.
Post #822003 29th Mar 2020 11:49am
Francisr

France 
J77 wrote:
Perhaps

I don’t fancy the cost of a Defender EV or PHEV.

Indeed, I am hearing a lot of bad things about the Range Rover Hybrid (reliability).

However, in 'Europe' it will be more and more expensive to buy a thermic engine only car. Carbon taxes are higher every year. Some big cities in Europe will soon be closing their doors to Diesel, old cars and big thermic engines.

Finally, if I buy a new Defender I hope to keep it for some years and then resell it.
What will be the legislation related to thermic engine only cars in 5 years or 10 years (in France or anywhere)...hence will I even be able to resell it? That's something one needs to think about before buying a €80k car....(I think).
Post #822051 29th Mar 2020 2:51pm
Supacat

I'm beginning to believe that this is the crux of it:

Sirish Chandran (@SirishChandran) Tweeted:
The evo verdict on #NewDefender is out:
“Audi, BMW, Bentley, Porsche, VW, none has dared to go diff lock to diff lock with #Defender in the past. Their problem now is that the Defender is able to match them on road as well as beating them off it”

Read 👉 https://t.co/OypYhklzGQ https://t.co/HuznvVPONx https://twitter.com/SirishChandran/status/...00290?s=20
Post #822084 29th Mar 2020 5:09pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Review from an Oz off-road mag: https://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/does-the-al...-find-out/

"Where The All-New Defender Stands Out

When the terrain gets rough, the 2020 Land Rover Defender rides better than any other stock 4WD I’ve tested, over almost any surface. It’s better than segment competitors like the Jeep Wrangler with its softly-sprung solid axles, and it’s even better than the desert-bashing Ford Raptor and its three-inch diameter Fox internal-bypass shocks. ...

That impressive ride quality sets the rest of the tone for the all-new Defender—it’s perhaps the most-comfortable way to travel off-road in mildly technical terrain. Performance over undulating boulders and rocks is impressive, with the suspension reacting hundreds of times per second to the current conditions. The Defender is nothing less than surefooted and inspires confidence in everyone from the most-novice weekend warrior to the professional off-road driver; though those with more experience may find the driving experience a bit more “digital” than they’re used to. ...

Where We’re Concerned
Historically speaking, Land Rover doesn’t have the best reputation for reliability, but it is important to know that aside from a few pre-production issues I experienced, the Defenders I personally drove in Namibia gave me zero reason for concern. Reliability on the other hand is something that has to be earned with time, so I cannot comment on that. It is worth noting that as a brand Land Rover is much more reliable than it used to be, currently echoing the golden era of reliability for Toyota, according to America’ Consumer Reports. ...

Proving Its Mettle (Dirt Road Performance)
... On a closed course section of Namibia’s finest corrugated gravel, we were cruising near triple-digit speeds while having a casual conversation about our jet lag; at which point we decided it was best to slow down as neither of us could tell an Oryx from a Kudu, and when they say road hazards are real in Africa—they mean it. The speed and comfort in which you’re able to cover ground in the all-new Defender is unprecedented. Modern day explorers who find themselves on rugged dirt roads in the middle of nowhere more than they do the Rubicon Trail need to take note of the Defender. Hands-down, it’s the most comfortable way of getting from A to B in the backcountry.

Van Zyl’s Pass (Technical Terrain Performance)
... The Defender’s traction control is class-leading, minimally intrusive, and quick to react, thanks to the the now customisable Terrain Response system that allows you adjust everything from steering feel to throttle sensitivity. Sure, you can’t go and tell the system to completely lock your differentials, but in my opinion, that binary school of thought is out-dated. What if I don’t want my differential completely locked because I want to be able wiggle my way through obstacles and actually be able to turn? ...

Within less than a hundredth of a single wheel rotation, the Defender’s traction control system was able to apply brake pressure to prevent wheel spin and enable traction on the more challenging sections of Van Zyl’s Pass. Terrain Response communicates with the suspension which is capable of both cross-linking the airbags to allow it to function as if it had a solid beam axle—another reason the Defender is so sure-footed.

Overall, the Defender exceeded my expectations on technical terrain, but let’s be realistic, if you’re buying a new vehicle for the sole purpose of turning it into a rock crawler, you’re going to, and should, buy a Jeep Wrangler. If you’re an explorer who doesn’t want to turn back when the going gets rough, then the Defender is all aces.

Skeleton Coast (Mud, Water, Sand)
... You couldn’t imagine a worse environment for a pre-production vehicle, especially a Land Rover Defender. Dust. Mud. Sand. Water over the hood. Repeat. We would be wearing all of them in triplicate had we been in a classic Defender. We must have had over a hundred water crossings that day, and let me tell you that the Defender didn’t have a single issue. Sure, we had to pull out the winch, we had multiple tire failures, and we lodged a rock in the brake caliper. But it was real four-wheel driving—this is the kind of stuff that is supposed to happen. ...

Frankly, I’m surprised we made it through them all, the Defender really has the capability of putting power down in a controlled way that few other vehicles can match.

Somewhere in the Hoarusib River Canyon, a place I never thought I’d be, driving a vehicle I never thought I’d see, the all-new Defender finally made sense to me. It isn’t supposed to be a replacement for its former self. It’s supposed to be an all-new vehicle for an all new world—for an all-new buyer.

The only thing that remains the same? There’s no finer way to travel the world than behind the wheel of a Land Rover Defender.

Should You Buy It?
If it turns out to be reliable, I can’t think of a vehicle I’d rather take on a legitimate expedition. It is powerful, comfortable, and depending on the engine selected, economical. While there are more time-tested vehicles available, none would be able to get the job done with a better balance of efficiency, safety, and comfort, while carrying more than anything else in its segment." --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #822449 31st Mar 2020 9:13am
pbhawkin

Australia 
Quote:
It also benefits from being able to use that extra ride height up to 80km/h, an improvement over previous Land Rover models fitted with airbag suspension.

From the above article.
I don't think I have seen that mentioned anywhere before?
A big improvement over Discoverys which dropped the height back to standard over 50Kmh and here in Australia a lot of tracks can be done at 60Kmh+ but still have a high center between the wheel tracks that would risk the undersides if at standard height.
Post #822474 31st Mar 2020 11:28am
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
So who would buy a D5 over this?
Surely it's only a very small %-age who just want the extra little bit of space or luxury...
I'm wondering what the D6 would have to bring to the table to make it sell.
Post #822476 31st Mar 2020 11:40am
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
" those with more experience may find the driving experience a bit more “digital” than they’re used to. ...

Modern day explorers who find themselves on rugged dirt roads in the middle of nowhere more than they do the Rubicon Trail...

...you can’t go and tell the system to completely lock your differentials...

but let’s be realistic, if you’re buying a new vehicle for the sole purpose of turning it into a rock crawler, you’re going to, and should, buy a Jeep Wrangler.
"

So in summary, if you enjoy off-road driving and want the best vehicle for extreme terrain, buy a
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

Last edited by DSC-off on 31st Mar 2020 5:17pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #822478 31st Mar 2020 12:13pm
Supacat

Not sure how accurate that report is if they include statements like this:

"It is worth noting that as a brand Land Rover is much more reliable than it used to be".
Post #822479 31st Mar 2020 12:38pm
nidge n

If it was 35K to 40K then i think it would sell. But its not, its up there with the dear stuff. That on its own limits off road use. Your a brave person to spend that kind of money and take off to oblivion. So the price you have to pay for capability becomes a little irrelevant if your fearful of damaging your investment. That was the charm of the classic defender. Use it as you need to, fix it as necessary.
Post #822486 31st Mar 2020 1:09pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Only reason you would buy a d5 over this if you want proper 7 seats with Range Rover luxury. The d5 has a larger load space floor too but it’s compromised by the tapered sides and rear. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #822589 31st Mar 2020 9:08pm
zilch

Australia 
DSC-off wrote:
"So in summary, if you enjoy off-road driving and want the best vehicle for extreme terrain, buy a
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

If you want to spend all your time plugging over rocks i think that was the answer, if you are doing overlanding with
a mixture of terrains, i believe there summary was the Defender is a better option (assuming they ensure it is
reliable, but then again jeep is notorious in OZ for electrical issues) yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #822641 1st Apr 2020 3:13am
diduan

Bulgaria 
I think we can't say yet how suitable the new defender suv will be for overlanding, because nobody has used it for this (yet). We should wait for the new Defender 2020 forum subsections dealing with all the problems the suv will have when (if) used off road. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #822644 1st Apr 2020 7:17am
zilch

Australia 
Hope it is feasible for Martin to set up a separate forum for the defender 2.. this sub forum
is hardly a model for new owners to share issues and problems, there is just to much negativity yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #822685 1st Apr 2020 10:10am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 170 of 351 <123 ... 169170171 ... 349350351>