Home > Technical > THE webasto Thread
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 16 <123 ... 141516>
Print this entire topic · 
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
T1G UP wrote:
SteveS wrote:
TIG UP - I had mine professionally fitted but for RHD vehicles particularly finding a suitable mounting location seems to be difficult for the TDCi. FWIW mine ended up on the nearside chassis rail inside face along side the gearbox/bell housing.

Other considerations for me were - location of air intake for good wading capability - this ends up in the engine compartment near the heater fan c/w a u-bend to trap air and keep water out

there small units. Under the heater duct in the NS wings sems the best use of space. Either that or above the turbo like BPmans.

knocking up a test loom and rig. I'll be getting the pump on wednesday soo should have a test fire by the weekend.

The unit has a max cut off temp built in which i will be testing.

Couldn't fit it there for some reason (but essentially a bit lower down in that same region is where it ended up) - and the OS wing has the ARB compressor fitted on my truck so ruled that out. Pre-commissioning it on the bench is a good idea. I think above the turbo option only works for LHD trucks IIRC previous posts
Post #166417 4th Sep 2012 10:11pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
SteveS wrote:
T1G UP wrote:
SteveS wrote:
TIG UP - I had mine professionally fitted but for RHD vehicles particularly finding a suitable mounting location seems to be difficult for the TDCi. FWIW mine ended up on the nearside chassis rail inside face along side the gearbox/bell housing.

Other considerations for me were - location of air intake for good wading capability - this ends up in the engine compartment near the heater fan c/w a u-bend to trap air and keep water out

there small units. Under the heater duct in the NS wings sems the best use of space. Either that or above the turbo like BPmans.

knocking up a test loom and rig. I'll be getting the pump on wednesday soo should have a test fire by the weekend.

The unit has a max cut off temp built in which i will be testing.

Couldn't fit it there for some reason (but essentially a bit lower down in that same region is where it ended up) - and the OS wing has the ARB compressor fitted on my truck so ruled that out. Pre-commissioning it on the bench is a good idea. I think above the turbo option only works for LHD trucks IIRC previous posts

im gonna fit a rear heater in aswell..like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320971090016?ssP...1423.l2649 it'll keep thr rear warm, and it can run off the engine / webasto. i find the rear doesn't heat up very well at all even in our -10.
Post #166418 4th Sep 2012 10:21pm
T1G UP

Ok BIG day today.

Went and fought to get the fuel pump, and a part of the loom. Bodged up a loom and it fired! Took 2 attempts as the fuel pump needed priming and i'm struggling to keep up with the flow rate of the 22mm inlet.

So i'll find a header tank,a central heating one and run it again.

The webasto Z/C manuals wiring schematic was incorrect colour wise but it seems that they all share a common configuration as regards to the pins.

i'll get a better water circuit and put a video up.

costs so far......still less than a meal out for 2 Thumbs Up
Post #166945 7th Sep 2012 8:42pm
T1G UP

so the webasto works. i have on another thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic14891.html found what i was looking for with the help of Dgargel Thumbs Up and they are on order with relay holders and new pins.

so i now need to sort the loom out. Are the pins a standard type for these type of plugs or are they a webasto only thing? I have the original plugs along with my bodged up loom but a new one is in order.

I have founds some Tees for £3 ea that will allow me to tap into the F&R to the heater and some hose. I 'll need to buy and exhaust, change the inlet to one with a filter and mount the unit.

FYI, Also found this as a potential timer. i don't want or need one T BH but @ £9 its a cheap digital timer. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221081628505?ssP...624wt_1344
Spend so far...less than a oner Whistle
Post #167116 9th Sep 2012 1:16pm
dgardel

Italy 
Post #167117 9th Sep 2012 1:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dgardel

Italy 
For the timer, I have this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110946658702?item=...mp;vxp=mtr

plug
http://www.ebay.it/itm/EBERSPACHER-WEBASTO...826wt_1103

cheeper with no alarm
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Timer-Webasto-/2511...500wt_1351

Minitimer
http://www.ebay.it/itm/EBERSPACHER-DIESEL-...863wt_1103 Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #167118 9th Sep 2012 1:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

Testing the Z Thumbs Up

http://youtu.be/rM9XccsDVPI

i did 4 vids. there was 18 litres of water and it heated it in 10-15 minutes.
Post #167390 10th Sep 2012 4:33pm
T1G UP

Great service...relay here already!

Didn't buy from italy in the ends as the slapped a £30 delivery charge on for 2 relays Rolling Eyes

got them off ebay.

stripped the unit today. looking to mount the unit.

How do you get the heater air supply bit out
Post #167684 11th Sep 2012 6:59pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
great video Marcus - you still have a fair way to go but £250 looks possible. have you serviced the unit yet ?

AFAIK the air inlet is just clipped onto the unit, you may want to buy an air filter housing for it or make something up.. maybe from a lawnmower ?

have you decided where to mount it yet ? Daniele used an entreq kit that fits near the gearbox/xfer box x-member, probably worth having a look on the entreq site, I believe Bren may even have one in stock.
Post #167704 11th Sep 2012 7:58pm
T1G UP

i've strip it earlier steve. looks OK TBH.

i'm gonna try and fit up under the wing by the bulkhead. IRB / mobile centre fit them there i believe. easy for wiring and water pipes.

waiting back for a price for the plugs so i can make a new loom.
Post #167743 11th Sep 2012 9:37pm
dgardel

Italy 
T1G UP wrote:
Great service...relay here already!

Didn't buy from italy in the ends as the slapped a £30 delivery charge on for 2 relays Rolling Eyes

got them off ebay.

stripped the unit today. looking to mount the unit.

How do you get the heater air supply bit out

Confused Embarassed Big Cry Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #167790 12th Sep 2012 8:40am
T1G UP

Quote:
AFAIK the air inlet is just clipped onto the unit, you may want to buy an air filter housing for it or make something up.. maybe from a lawnmower ?

Sorry Steve i meant the air intake off the 110! the big plasticy bit that feeds the heater.

Also where would i tap into the 110 fan electrics. Theres a big black and orangy wire going into the fan motor.

Also do you have a fitting kit parts number for a puma, ie the hoses / Tees supplied?
Post #167792 12th Sep 2012 8:52am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
have a look at cobs documents, it's all in there, but yes, essentially the orange wire is where you need to enter the system. note the webasto wiring loom has a mass of wires but by far the most hd are the wires for the fan so make sure you use the same or higher rated.

the webasto loom has a relay, when not energised, the power flows through the orange wire as standard, when the relay is energised the power comes from the webasto, so you will still need to have the fan switched on to make the inside warm with the webasto

also, note the way the heater switch/valve works on the truck
Post #167815 12th Sep 2012 10:42am
T1G UP

bpman wrote:
have a look at cobs documents, it's all in there, but yes, essentially the orange wire is where you need to enter the system. note the webasto wiring loom has a mass of wires but by far the most hd are the wires for the fan so make sure you use the same or higher rated.

the webasto loom has a relay, when not energised, the power flows through the orange wire as standard, when the relay is energised the power comes from the webasto, so you will still need to have the fan switched on to make the inside warm with the webasto

also, note the way the heater switch/valve works on the truck

Many thanks.
Post #168027 13th Sep 2012 8:42am
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Had my Thermo Top C professionally installed today, very pleased with the quality of the work and location of heater and exhaust run. Thumbs Up

How are you planning to plumb in the pipe work to the original system ? 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #169830 21st Sep 2012 11:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 16 <123 ... 141516>