Home > Off Topic > Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine
At least one UK manufacturer is heading in the right direction:-

Setting the standard JCB is set to showcase its hydrogen combustion technology, electric drivetrain and efficient diesel engines at CONEXPO-CON/AGG in Las Vegas. This will be the international debut of the hydrogen combustion engine in North America.
JCB Chairman Lord Bamford is leading the project to develop JCB’s hydrogen technology. He said: “The JCB engineering team has made enormous strides in a short space of time to develop a hydrogen internal combustion engine and it already powers a JCB prototype backhoe loader and a Loadall telescopic handler. As the first construction equipment company to develop a fully working combustion engine fuelled by hydrogen, I’m delighted we are now able to present this technology on the international stage.”

Click image to enlarge
 Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #979315 23rd Jan 2023 8:24am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Encouraging that at least one engineering mind is thinking in the right direction.

See also https://www.defender2.net/forum/post914216.html from July 2021.
Post #979354 23rd Jan 2023 12:33pm
Nick-St

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Post #979374 23rd Jan 2023 2:15pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
This is clearly becoming a big deal in heavy plant:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64248564 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #979375 23rd Jan 2023 2:20pm
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
LRA I was going to post that link. Hydrogen and diesel in an existing engine. Sounds promising Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #979453 23rd Jan 2023 7:53pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
i am sure ford did a prototype 20 years ago with a hydrogen powered car, waste product was water.
I have a feeling that this will be the way to go and electric powered cars will do a U turn. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #979667 25th Jan 2023 12:24am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Electric powered cars are feasible, electric (battery) commercials are not, so great to see JCB leading the way on a working alternative. I understand there will still be infrastructure issues about the transport and storage of the fuel but I'm sure that will be overcome. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #979672 25th Jan 2023 6:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
After all the energy turmoil the last year or two it is hard to imagine a power grid that can charge all these vehicles and heat all these houses. In France they are (were) talking about rolling blackouts, which is common in states like California (summer) and Texas (winter). That is prior to any meaningful electrical car load. Where is all this electric energy going to come from?

Liquid fuels ARE much easier and efficient to distribute among the planet than gaseous fuels. They also provide more security against (short) supply disruption. During the fuel transport strikes in France I kept filling my diesel tank full when I could and had a few jerry cans as well. (We had to park up my wife's car for a few weeks because we ran out of petrol)

I can't help but think that the old 'technology will solve the problem' is running out of steam and what we need is a fundamental and unpopular change in lifestyle: less of everything. Since I work from home I do a fraction of the miles I used to do.
Post #979675 25th Jan 2023 7:33am
Bowbearer

United Kingdom 1985 Defender 110 200 Tdi SW Auto Baltic Blue
I think the Government see Electric as a stop gap. They didn't invest in the Battery Factory in the North East and are investing silly money into Bacton to turn it into a Hydrogen plant.
Post #979869 26th Jan 2023 2:27pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The issue is not really getting an engine to run on hydrogen, that's been around for many many years. The difficulty with hydrogen is the production, transport and storage. You need a lot of energy to make it and it is much more difficult to handle than petrol or natural gas. I think it's going to be best suited to depot or site based vehicles that return to a single place for refueling, so I think you'll see its use in heavy trucks and plant (as here) for that reason, plus their unsuitability for batteries will offset some of expense and inconvenience that'll come with hydrogen. I can't see a big network of publicly available hydrogen filling stations taking over from the petrol station we have now.

Regarding whether the grid will handle the load of electric charging... I've heard directly from National Grid that the National and Regional distribution networks (I don't recall the correct terms here) are fine, but it is local distribution that will struggle. However, to paper over that issue until it's fixed they are now installing charging stations with a big battery alongside that sort of trickle charges at a tolerable rate constantly even when the chargers aren't in use, and this then feeds the high demand of the chargers when needed. It's sort of like a buffer, like how a water header tank in a house works. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #979891 26th Jan 2023 5:23pm
Berni99

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Excellent comments Bluest. Thanks for the effort.
Post #979912 26th Jan 2023 6:23pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Bowbearer wrote:
I think the Government see Electric as a stop gap. They didn't invest in the Battery Factory in the North East and are investing silly money into Bacton to turn it into a Hydrogen plant.

It was likely a lame duck before it even got going, some strange happenings today the least - no fan of this lot but they called it right in holding back any public cash

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/...production
Post #979926 26th Jan 2023 9:06pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Bowbearer wrote:

That wasn't a policy-based decision, though. It was because that specific project didn't do what they said they would to meet the criteria to receive the money. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #979975 27th Jan 2023 7:19am
kenzle8a

Synthetic fuels will be our main stay for decades to come.

Electric cars really need to be able to do tripe if not four or five times the distance of a ICE car to really be a proper long term solution, not just an equivalent.

I know in certain circumstances at present you can run an EV for a lot less, however the days of free charging will end.

For plant, haulage, farming etc Hydrogen and electric will leave us with a lot of expensive junk sat about in a couple of years.

All IMO of course.
Post #979989 27th Jan 2023 8:26am
Tim in Scotland

Free charging in Stirling city ends on 1st Feb - cost is not unreasonable 35p/kW on fast chargers, 25p/kW on the slow AC chargers. It had to come and wasn’t going to last for ever and it’s still a huge amount cheaper than charging at the likes of Gridserve and Ionity - it would help if commercial CPO’s didn’t have to levy 20% VAT on charging whereas VAT is only 5% if you charge at home. And in 2025 VED of £165 will be levied on all EVs, it’s zero at the moment Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #980022 27th Jan 2023 11:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>