↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Bath clean air zone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
SJM2018

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Bath clean air zone
I occasionally have to drive my 2011 CSW into Bath and have been paying the charge for every journey.

Back in April I decided to actually look into who needed to pay, because I was told it doesn’t apply to private cars.

Turns out they were correct, but the website still reckons I needed to pay.

Tried to contact the DVLA to get to the bottom of whether I needed or not, but that was a waste of time and I never managed to speak with anyone.

So anyway, back in April I drove in and didn’t pay the charge.

I waited four weeks to see whether I received a penalty notice (and paid for all the other visits during April and early May).

Anyway, after four weeks with no PCN, I stopped paying and have probably driven in the zone 5/6 time since.

However, yesterday I received the PCN for the instance back in April….three months later!!

I’ve contested on the basis my vehicle is a car and they haven’t served the PCN within a reasonable time.

I suspect I may end up paying this charge, but will contest all the others on the basis that I had assumed I was fine (and was waiting to see if I got fined).

Will let you know how I get on!! 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #956399 24th Jun 2022 7:54am
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
Corr blimey, sounds like you’ve taken a very reasonable approach. I hope at the worst they reduce the value of any penalties to just what you would’ve paid in charges… but wouldn’t it be great if you got clarity on whether you should be paying those charges or not!
Post #956404 24th Jun 2022 8:47am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Good luck with this, I will be extremely interested to hear how you get on.

It seems to me that it is iniquitous that private owners of privately-used Defenders are penalised solely because the vehicle is in the N1 "Light Goods" tax class, because under the C&U Regs it is not a Light Goods vehicle, it is a Dual Purpose Vehicle which just happens to be taxed as though it was an LGV.

Bath is now one of a growing number of cities and large towns which I will simply never visit whilst they continue do this. I know that one person boycotting them will make no difference, but I like to think it is hitting the local economy albeit to an insignificantly-miniscule extent. Very Happy
Post #956405 24th Jun 2022 8:53am
custom90

United Kingdom 
In that Council there are a lot of liars, discriminative practices and behaviours going on hidden behind the scenes.

One of them being one of these Eco warrior employees.

There’s is a significant amount of corruption and infighting and cover ups going on there.

I cannot say any more than that, but believe you me I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t have just cause and I would honestly call them one of the worst councils in the U.K. and that CAZ thing is only the tip of the iceberg I can tell you.

If I could sum them up in two words harsh as it sounds it would be - morally bankrupt.

You’ve been warned.
If you do have contact with them you’ll find you’ll be told to do as you are told, and do it now.
You can form your own conclusions to that attitude. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #956427 24th Jun 2022 12:43pm
SJM2018

If I was being super self critical; I’m happy for it to be taxed as a commercial vehicle (and benefit form the significant saving), so I could see an argument that I can’t expect to have my cake…

However, the wording is incredibly vague and even on the PCN it isn’t clear that my vehicle should be charged.

I suspect my appeals will be rejected, but I’ll contest them all the way to any adjudication / Court proceedings.

It doesn’t rain, but it pours; I’ve also just been hit with a bus lane fine! I swerved to avoid one of those illegal scooters that had shot out in front of me from a side street. My near side wheels crossed the white line by about a foot. You can see the scooter rider in the picture, so hopefully my appeal should be successful.

I’m honestly not a reprobate, these are my first PCNs for ~17 years! 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #956432 24th Jun 2022 1:18pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
custom90steve wrote:
In that Council there are a lot of liars, discriminative practices and behaviours going on hidden behind the scenes.

One of them being one of these Eco warrior employees.

There’s is a significant amount of corruption and infighting and cover ups going on there.

I cannot say any more than that, but believe you me I wouldn’t say it if I didn’t have just cause and I would honestly call them one of the worst councils in the U.K. and that CAZ thing is only the tip of the iceberg I can tell you.

If I could sum them up in two words harsh as it sounds it would be - morally bankrupt.

You’ve been warned.
If you do have contact with them you’ll find you’ll be told to do as you are told, and do it now.
You can form your own conclusions to that attitude.

is this a labour council by any chance? Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #956455 24th Jun 2022 5:21pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Lib dem, or at least that’s the name they go by. Rolling with laughter Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #956486 24th Jun 2022 8:38pm
SJM2018

UPDATE

So I’ve had a response from the Council, that’s put me in a bit of an awkward position.

They’ve rejected my claim, but have offered to cancel the penalty charge, provided I pay the £9 CAZ within the next 14 days.

If I challenge their decision and go to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal, then the offer is rescinded and if the TPT rules against me, then I’ll have to pay £9 plus the full fine (£120).

I’ve called the TPT and asked whether they’ve dealt with anything like this before, but the chap I spoke to hadn’t, said it was a very grey area and it could go either way.

He suggested I email and ask whether there have been any previous adjudications relating to dual purpose vehicles and the Bath CAZ - which I’ve done.

On one hand, I could easily pay the £9 and then challenge all the future fines (5/6 to come), explaining that their delay in responding to the original contravention (together with the vague rules / issues with dual purpose vehicles) resulted in me reasonably thinking I was ok.

On the other, I don’t think I should have to pay anything and on principle I think I should challenge, plus I have to consider all the future £9s.

The fact that the council responded so quickly and have offered to cancel the fine makes me think either 1) My appeal was answered by someone kind and decent at the council; or 2) They’ve already lost an appeal and know I’ll win!

My plan is to wait and see what my email uncovers and go from there. 2011 CSW XS 90
Post #956813 29th Jun 2022 10:33am
custom90

United Kingdom 
They don’t want any more Tribunal cases that’s what’s it’s all about, they are in serious trouble with many things like this and Taxi drivers so they are trying their best to tone anything down they possibly can to save face. Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
Post #956860 29th Jun 2022 7:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The link which Brickbox posted in Pickles's thread makes interesting reading.

It is a Government page which states that "Bath has a Class C clean air zone" and further on "There are 4 types of clean air zones, Class A to D.
    Class - Vehicle type
    A - Buses, coaches, taxis, private hire vehicles
    B - Buses, coaches, taxis, private hire vehicles, heavy goods vehicles
    C - Buses, coaches, taxis, private hire vehicles, heavy goods vehicles, vans, minibuses
    D - Buses, coaches, taxis, private hire vehicles, heavy goods vehicles, vans, minibuses, cars, the local authority has the option to include motorcycles"

Therefore according to the Government Bath only charges (can only charge?) for buses, coaches, taxis, private hire vehicles, heavy goods vehicles, vans, minibuses. A Defender is none of these, therefore I feel it could be argued that the charge is iniquitous, and equally so for any type of pick-up truck or other DPV. Bath will probably argue that a Defender or other pick-up is a "van", but in the eye of the law it is not, it is not even a good vehicle.

I don't know if there is any merit pursuing this line since local government is full of the kind of deranged zealot who is not open to reason, but it can't do any harm.
Post #957023 1st Jul 2022 8:59pm
23GPS

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
I've also stopped visiting Bath. Low emission zones are just a cash cow for lazy ineffective councils to raise income off the back of supposedly improving air quality. By way of example my Euro 4 2.4 Defender 110 can enter the Bath caz for free, but if I use my less polluting Euro 5 2.2 Defender 90 I have to pay the charge. Crazy! Keep it simple - poverty spec.
Post #957119 2nd Jul 2022 11:05pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
As above- my 2008 2.4 has no charge being an M1 category I assume? 2008 2.4 110 Utility XS.
Post #957120 3rd Jul 2022 6:25am
spudfan

Ireland 
Then there is this
https://www.msn.com/en-ie/cars/news/lambet...9cfc7e6173 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #957817 10th Jul 2022 12:58pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
we tried to register for an exemption recently

rang up no help at all and referred to the website.

filled it all . site crashed a few times so not ideal.

sent it off.

waited a while and got an email to you have missed a picture of the v5. hmm well the one i uploaded must be invisible. so instead of having to log in and send them another piture we have to fill the whole form in again.......petty and useless springs to mind.

hey ho another place off the radar for visiting ..
Post #957818 10th Jul 2022 1:33pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Remember when computerisation first hit the scene? All the promises of less "paperwork" etc. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #957819 10th Jul 2022 2:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>