↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LOF POWERspring pedal assist
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 14 <123 ... 1011 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
lonewolf

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
I’m going to fit mine soon.......been building up to it since christmas Laughing
Im going to try the LOF Luke video first before I resort to the cable ties.
I asked LOF if I could leave in the existing bushes if they’re in good order and he said that would be fine.
Wish me luck.....I’ll post how I get on.
Post #888197 27th Feb 2021 9:08pm
914PAW

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Baltic Blue
Having lived with it for a few days I can confirm that it’s a huge improvement, coupled with the MUD seat rails it has made the driving experience much more comfortable. To note I didn’t have any existing bushes, just a spring running from the tab on the clutch pedal to an anchor point above on the underside of the dash. I couldn’t see how I would fit without the cable tie method, the LOF video shows a spring being fitted on a clutch pedal removed from the car which makes access much easier! Others have managed so obviously it’s possible.
Post #888225 27th Feb 2021 11:50pm
lonewolf

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Ok then as promised........it’s on Thumbs Up
Easily removed the old one then following the LOF Luke video I pushed the pedal down as far as it would go after loosening the stop screw on the back of the pedal box.
As the existing bushes were good I left them in place and slotted the spring into place on the back of the pedal arm.
Now the fun bit.......I tried pushing the left hand leg into place but couldn’t get it near the bushes hole.
I thought there’s no way I can push this on!
I removed the spring then tried to tie it up with cable ties but the biggest I had weren’t up to the job.
I thought this is not good so back to the LOF way.
This time though I got myself right into the footwell and using my fingers and a good dose bad temper Evil or Very Mad I managed to pop the left leg into place.........now I’m motivated big time.
The rh leg was a lot harder to move though.......now I’m deflated!
To get around this I used a piece of wood 15x8 mm x260 LG with a vee filed in the top in the centre of the 15mm side.
Using this and holding the coil with my other hand I pushed the rh leg into the relevant bush quite easily.
Success.
I didn’t feel the need to crimp in the bush flanges as the legs on the new spring are longer than the old one so it should sit there ok.
I retightend the bump stop screw and went for a short drive.
It definitely feels lighter and different so will probably take a couple of drives to get used to it.
45% lighter.......hmm I’m not sure about that but there is a difference.
Also when I did get it on I realised I hadn’t used any mole grips or pliers just fingers and the stick of wood.
Jobs a goodun Thumbs Up
Post #888302 28th Feb 2021 3:33pm
hmp125

Australia 
Well have done the job and fitted both the spring and a new master and must admit it is a lot lighter than previous.
That part I am happy with, the part that I am not happy with is that I had to replace the back stop bolt with a slightly longer one because with the original one the new spring would stick over centre.
Also to have a reasonable biting point my pedal height is about 160mm which is about 20mm higher than the LR spec of 140-5. and being 6'4" I now have to come in sideways on the pedal.
Just wondering if anyone here has had the same experience.
Post #892945 21st Mar 2021 8:00am
Tonser

United Kingdom 
I've just fitted the LOF spring to mine, and I'm pleased to say it was pretty straight forward, took about 20 minutes. Removing the 17mm stop bolt in the engine bay seemed to be the key. That allowed me to push the pedal right into the rubber floor mat with a couple of bits of wood wedged against the seat box. Then long nose mole grips to ease the left hand side into the bush, and the then the right. I eased the left and right bush mountings a tad wider apart to fit the spring then eased them back narrower once it was fitted.

I haven't driven it yet, but stationary the pedal feels a good bit lighter.

Tony
Post #897704 12th Apr 2021 1:04pm
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
Having mine fitted on Wednesday, save my knees and might even get the better half driving it Thumbs Up Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #897731 12th Apr 2021 3:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Fit the power master as well if you can. My clutch is now lighter than the wife’s disco sport.
Post #897734 12th Apr 2021 3:35pm
windy81

Wales 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Firenze Red
i tried the LOF master cylinder and it just wouldn't work for me. Wasn't pushing the slave enough to disengage the clutch.

Adjusted it fully to get the fullest travel to no avail. Shame really I was really looking forward to a lighter pedal
Post #897737 12th Apr 2021 3:47pm
hmp125

Australia 
Exacly my problem as well, also heard from a local LR club member who had done the LOF master replcement has the same problem.
Will be pulling the LOF master out and put the original back in. Waste of money and a lot of time and agroo.
Post #897952 13th Apr 2021 11:21am
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
ohh thats not good reading! the master cylinder was on my wish list for this year Big Cry

Is it pot luck they don't work on some or a particular model? 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #898018 13th Apr 2021 3:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tonser

United Kingdom 
Had the 110 out for its first drive today with the LOF spring ... the pedal is definitely lighter, and the new bite pressure takes a few gear changes to adjust to.

Only issue is that the pedal now rests quite bit higher than it did previously, its pretty uncomfortable so I'll have to look into adjusting that. I guess the stronger spring just pushes it further up as nothing else was adjusted.

Cheers
Tony
Post #898073 13th Apr 2021 8:13pm
hmp125

Australia 
For what i understand is tht the LOF master hs a smaller bore which results in more pressure but with a longer stroke to get the same amount of fluid through. The result was that the bite point is all the way down the stroke and with the clutch sll the way against the backstop I have only about 10mm before engaging which makes for awfull control especially off road. Gear shifting while in motion is fine and light.
Things improve a bit setting the pedal higher but being 6.4, too high and I am on to the steering wheel or have to come in sideways on the pedal
Post #898100 14th Apr 2021 12:22am
HardCharger

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Just to share my experience, bought the LOF Spring and PowerMaster as I was going to replace a badly leaking clutch master.

Fitted the spring, no problems but as mentioned in the last few posts, no way was the PowerMaster usable with the supplied rod thing that engages the clutch. What we wound up doing was taking apart the old clutch master and use the rod from that one. Worked nicely.

The clutch pedal does stand prouder compared to the brake and accelerator pedal. There's a learning curve not to apply too much pressure or the pedal has a tendency to stick to the bottom then bounce back up or you must pull up with the tip of your boots. Used it for a few months happily.

Unfortunately, the PowerMaster began to leak so I had to replace with a stock clutch master. No biggie, the spring still helped. Then one day, I hear a snap and the clutch pedal was funky. Upon inspection, the LOF spring had snapped!

Luckily, I still had the original spring as I had to replace the clutch pedal together with the master cylinder. So now, back to stock.

Contacted Luke and explained the situation. Upon further investigation, I apparently purchased a "first generation" set which had some issues. He offered to replace them but I still haven't received the replacement kit. I guess this COVID thing and new orders have delayed my kit. In any case, I'll be ordering the one piece rear drive member shaft things from him, maybe he can include the replacements when he sends those.
Post #898102 14th Apr 2021 3:55am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
LOF fitted and wow... incredible difference.

Town and Country in Cubbington advised me against the power master cylinder upgrade as the slave would struggle to manage the additional pressure and it could cause premature clutch failure.

But to be honest, this small change with just the LOF pedal spring has made a big difference.

And to top it off, he supplied and fitted it FOC.... talk about the cat that’s got the cream.... Mr. Green thanks Gregg Thumbs Up Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #898162 14th Apr 2021 10:51am
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Really glad I found this thread, was about to order the Red Booster, but this seems it's definitely worth a try first.

Will report back once fitted!
Post #898440 15th Apr 2021 2:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 14 <123 ... 1011 121314>