↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LOF POWERspring pedal assist
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 10 of 14 <123 ... 91011 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Shoulda gone for a LOF clutch too. Takes all the power same weight as original... Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #798004 13th Oct 2019 9:22pm
Roger

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Java Black
Fitted this today after putting the job of for a while as most on here found it a pig to do.
Took me 15-20 mins and was no effort at all (largely due to experience gleaned here) so here is a breakdown of how i did it:

Step 1 Depress the clutch to remove the old spring - with the clutch depressed you can lift the square loop bit of the old spring off with big red (large flat bladed screwdriver that does all the jimmying and prying jobs).
Don't mess about with cutting pieces to length, the below set up of scraps worked fine.

Click image to enlarge

Step 2 Compress the LOF POWERspring - usually done in a vice, for some strange reason i don't have one so used some irwin quick grip clamps and was terrified of the spring popping out and hurting me! Laughing Once clamped use some reasonably thick cable ties to hold it compressed.

Click image to enlarge

Step 3 (and this is where it can be a 15min or 3hr job!) Free the clutch pedal so that you can fit the POWERspring completely from behind the pedal, keeping the pedal out of the way! If you are replacing any of the bushings do it now before you start, i only needed to replace the central bush as the other two were fine.

Click image to enlarge

Step 4 Get the left prong in and you will notice that due to the spring being under tension the right prong won't line up and both prongs are too close together to seat the right one properly if you do get it in.

Click image to enlarge

Step 5 Get some mole grips on the extreme left of the left hand prong poking out the other side of its bushing (I did have some fancy auto-grip needle nose mole grips but they were pants so i just used my normal cheapo ones).

Click image to enlarge

Step 6 Use a screwdriver to lever against the pedal and get the right hand prong into its bushing (this takes very little force as you are only spreading the currently deformed spring rather than loading it) - you can guide the right prong while spreading by holding onto the right hand coil, i just didn't have enough hands to photo that as well.

Click image to enlarge

Step 7 While using the screwdriver to hold the right prong in, depress the pedal and jam it down again. (there was just enough tension on the screwdriver to allow my free hand to take the picture)

Click image to enlarge

Step 8 Remove the screwdriver and mole grips then lever through the spring holes to bring the spring forward so that the central mount lines up with the recess on the back of the pedal.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Step 9 Cut the cable ties while you keep the spring held forward the same way as the step above (the ties are under a lot of tension so cut very easily).

Click image to enlarge

And that is it done, just check it is fully seated (i needed to pry the right hand prong back into place as it was half out due to cutting left cable tie first)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #817707 1st Mar 2020 1:42pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Awesome explanation - I've been putting off fitting mine due to the faff involved
Post #817903 2nd Mar 2020 2:59pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
The cable ties are the key - thanks!

I did it differently, keeping the pedal pushed down doing it all from the front. I compressed the spring in a vice and cable-tied it so it was an exact fit. Then hooked in the "U" part of the spring at the back of the pedal and wiggled the arms into the bushings. The critical part was keeping the "U" hooked in when releasing everything, so I put a bit of rope through the coils and pulled down and back whilst using a storm lighter to melt the ties (easier and quicker when one handed). Released the pedal, then the rope and job done Thumbs Up

p.s. I also bent the little brackets (with the spring arm bushings) inwards slightly, as the LOF spring is quite a bit narrower than the original and the seating looked a bit iffy. Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #819420 13th Mar 2020 2:24pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Dickie Davies here, with World of Sport!

I've just fitted mine this afternoon. It only took about ten minutes... once I'd struggled for a couple of hours (including fitting it back to front - it's quite challenging to remove when you do that).

But the cable ties were key in the end, so many thanks for the guide, above.

I'll have to report back on how it feels tomorrow once I've used it for work.
Post #819869 16th Mar 2020 5:23pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
After a few days, I can say it's a massive improvement. You might not realise at first but then try sitting in a traffic jam for an hour Rolling Eyes (they've closed the borders here and people are being stupid...)
Why on earth didn't LR make it standard Question Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #819875 16th Mar 2020 6:19pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I've been pleased with mine driving around today. It's certainly lighter, and my clapped out knee appreciates that, but as I think has been said elsewhere, being a 2.2, it's not really 45% lighter. I'd suggest about 20%, but definitely a worthwhile improvement and well worth the money.
Post #819993 17th Mar 2020 5:29pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
May try this tomorrow Shocked 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #829130 3rd May 2020 10:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PCM

United Kingdom 
Try the LOF master clutch cylinder with this spring. I noticed a small difference with the spring, but a massive difference with the master cylinder. A bit more of a pain to fit, but well worth it.
Post #829211 4th May 2020 1:48pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
FOR SALE

I have a brand new in packaging one of these, only not fitted as I have the LOF master cylinder

happy to post to anyone whom wants it and lives in mainland UK for £15, DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #829216 4th May 2020 3:19pm
ibexman

United Kingdom 
I’m waiting for the video 🤔
Post #829261 4th May 2020 7:35pm
keith

Scotland 
Ok another mod I’ll have to fit just because every one else has done it.
LR90. I’ll take your spare one please. Thanks for the saving.
PM sent

Keith
Post #829266 4th May 2020 7:55pm
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Roger, Ive been putting this off since I bought it at Peterborough last year!

I followed your instructions and within 15 mins it was fitted Very Happy

Actually enjoyed fitting it, the worst part was compressing the spring in the vice and the fear of it springing out
I put a zip tie through the spring and bottom of the vice just in case Shocked

The actual install was very easy and it has made a decent improvement over the original

Thanks for the tips Thumbs Up 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #829804 7th May 2020 11:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
24heuer

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
just done this.
Tried the cable tie method many times and failed yesterday evening - i just couldn't get anything to line up and stay lined up.
I had to give up I was getting so mad! Rolling with laughter
Had another go this morning using the LOF method with some thin nosed mole grips and brute force - it took 10 minutes maximum. Thumbs Up
I'd recommend trying this way first.
Unfortunately with all the messing about yesterday I damaged the u shaped bush that sits in the pedal so I have it all to do again at some point! Rolling with laughter Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
http://24heuer.com
Post #854541 6th Sep 2020 10:57am
914PAW

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Baltic Blue
Many thanks particularly Roger, really good step by step guide. I’ve just done this on my 03 TD5 and it took about 30 minutes using the strong cable tie technique. Although the clutch isn’t that bad on my Defender it does give my left knee a bit of a work out if it’s stop start. So I’m hoping this just takes the edge off that. Will post experience when I’ve driven her for a few days.
Post #886747 20th Feb 2021 3:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 10 of 14 <123 ... 91011 121314>