↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 69 of 84 <123 ... 686970 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Zagato wrote:
Yes Corroheat will go straight on, no etch primer needed. Agree also about putting a coating over the galv. Galvanising is just putting on a sacrificial zinc layer (and not that thick in some cases), trapped mud can rot through the thin zinc layer in no time. By putting a barrier on top of the galv, it makes the structure pretty rot proof. It's why you should do the same with a new galv chassis. Damp mud sitting inside your box sections or on top of your chassis rails can rot through surprisingly quickly. Thumbs Up

Similar to supposed red oxide paint, galvanising has had its day for many applications. With all the rock hard, impenetrable paints now on offer (not good on old rusty metal, fine on brand new metal) galvanising is an expensive process that is not the most environmentally friendly way of priming and protecting metal. It takes time for these old industrial processes to change... simply spraying paint is so much quicker. These rock hard paints came from the development of similar paint used years ago to go directly onto flat beds so you didn,t need to cut boards to put in the back of your truck for protection.

The big difference between paint and galvanising is that the galv bonds to the steel so it won't flake or peel. Small scratches won't allow water under the coating to slowly lift it off. Also, as galvanising is dipped rather than sprayed you get to the hidden areas that are often the areas that rust out.

Galvanising has a life span that varies with the environment it is in. Extra protection can't be a bad thing. With ongoing maintenance I think a galv chassis could last many lifetimes.

Whilst galvanising is an old process it still works well - though there is now not the same lead content as there used to be.

This is only my opinion, but give me galvanised over painted every time. Not as pretty as painting though.
Post #897129 10th Apr 2021 6:26am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Swings and roundabouts isn,t it. Galvanising can chip especially on edges or where you have to put in a fastener, where as these rock hard paints can be hit with a hammer without causing any damage. They don,t peel and certainly don,t flake... get it on your skin and it's there for weeks, get it on the paint lid edge and you won,t get the lid off again. Instructions are to decant it into your paint pot Shocked it Is incredibly strong stuff, think bonding cement rather than paint. Mud sitting in a box section will rot through galv... mud sitting on top of this paint in a box section will never do anything to compromise the impenetrable barrier. I have seen new galv chassis rust in mud trap areas after 5 years. If they had been painted on top of the galv they would have been pretty bomb proof.

Last edited by Zagato on 10th Apr 2021 9:29am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #897159 10th Apr 2021 9:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
WarPig wrote:
Thats interesting to read Zag, thanks.
I'll order some Dinitrol, it seems to be about £25 (posted) per 500ml can.

P.S I assume it's worth also applying to the load/floor area prior to fitting a sheet of rubber or ply?

Thanks.

Wouldn,t hurt to but not really necessary :thumbsup:
Post #897161 10th Apr 2021 9:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kenzle8a

Zagato wrote:
Swings and roundabouts isn,t it. Galvanising can chip especially on edges or where you have to put in a fastener, where as these rock hard paints can be hit with a hammer without causing any damage. They don,t peel and certainly don,t flake... get it on your skin and it's there for weeks, get it on the paint lid edge and you won,t get the lid off again. Instructions are to decant it into your paint pot Shocked it Is incredibly strong stuff, think bonding cement rather than paint. Mud sitting in a box section will rot through galv... mud sitting on top of this paint in a box section will never do anything to compromise the impenetrable barrier. I have seen new galv chassis rust in mud trap areas after 5 years. If they had been painted on top of the galv they would have been pretty bomb proof.

Any recommendations for DIY ish (farm shed job), I may start building a spare chassis up over the summer.
Post #897162 10th Apr 2021 9:32am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
How do you mean, "building a spare chassis up". Is this a new chassis? Is it already galvanised or ungalvanised. There are many suitable products on the market, even rubber based stuff you paint farm building metal superstructures with. I like the POR-15 range but there are many on the market, choose also by which will go onto galv if it is already galvanised and if you need it to be UV resistant I.e. Rear crossmember. The picture below is one I have just taken as an example for one of the previous posts, it may not be an example for your question.

Click image to enlarge

So think bonding cement not paint. This particular POR-15 comes in two parts like an epoxy, it can be hand painted or sprayed. It takes 3 days to fully go off etc etc... bloody hard stuff and yes you cAn belt it with a hammer and nothing happens.

If you are building up an old chassis then I would use the Dinitrol range. You don,t want to put this stuff anywhere near old metal where there is a risk of rust. You are just trapping the rust in, as said soooo many times. They don,t stop rust as they claim, they just stop it showing through.... have fun Thumbs Up

Last edited by Zagato on 10th Apr 2021 10:04am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #897163 10th Apr 2021 9:47am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Back for a few pretty pictures. This was very nice, came in for a comprehensive clean, polish, engine bay basic detail etc...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Top tip on those engine ancillaries that are now deteriorating! Arm yourself with a Dremmel and some Autosol, this pic shows the left end bit done and the night and day difference.. spray with ACF-50 afterwards and it will stay shiny...

Click image to enlarge
Post #897169 10th Apr 2021 9:56am
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
Zagato wrote:
Swings and roundabouts isn,t it. Galvanising can chip especially on edges or where you have to put in a fastener,

Galv should not chip off as it should bond with the metal. If it chips or peals then it has not been done correctly. If you drill a hole the only galv that comes off should be taken off with the drill bit. The only time it should come off with a hammer is when the metal deforms.

As I said previously, a big advantage with galvanising is it gets into the nooks and crannies, something that paint can't, which is why we use cavity treatment.

Galv can't cope with welding as it burns off, but that is the same with paint.

I agree that galv can corrode through, it is sacrificial not impenetrable and that must be considered regarding further treatment and ongoing maintenance. An additional layer of tough paint would definitely be an advantage.
Post #897179 10th Apr 2021 10:32am
kenzle8a

Zagato wrote:
How do you mean, "building a spare chassis up". Is this a new chassis? Is it already galvanised or ungalvanised. There are many suitable products on the market, even rubber based stuff you paint farm building metal superstructures with. I like the POR-15 range but there are many on the market, choose also by which will go onto galv if it is already galvanised and if you need it to be UV resistant I.e. Rear crossmember. The picture below is one I have just taken as an example for one of the previous posts, it may not be an example for your question.

So think bonding cement not paint. This particular POR-15 comes in two parts like an epoxy, it can be hand painted or sprayed. It takes 3 days to fully go off etc etc... bloody hard stuff and yes you cAn belt it with a hammer and nothing happens.

If you are building up an old chassis then I would use the Dinitrol range. You don,t want to put this stuff anywhere near old metal where there is a risk of rust. You are just trapping the rust in, as said soooo many times. They don,t stop rust as they claim, they just stop it showing through.... have fun Thumbs Up

Cheers, it will be a new galvanised chassis. My one is ok for a bit yet but I'd like to have one ready when needed. Mine is pumped full of Lanougard and Dynax UB atm but its also 17 years old and has lived a life.
Post #897180 10th Apr 2021 10:33am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Mossberg wrote:
Zagato wrote:
Swings and roundabouts isn,t it. Galvanising can chip especially on edges or where you have to put in a fastener,

Galv should not chip off as it should bond with the metal. If it chips or peals then it has not been done correctly. If you drill a hole the only galv that comes off should be taken off with the drill bit. The only time it should come off with a hammer is when the metal deforms.

The reality is I have worked on many Marsland and Richards Chassis, two of my own from new that had the galv chipped in places on arrival, the same with Ifor Williams trailers and my boat trailers which easily chip, especially on the edges. Agree with the thoroughness of dipping if there are enough holes to ensure the galv gets in all the nooks and crannies, so it doesn,t explode in the process Shocked where these air holes are you can spray inside even the smallest of box sections with a 360 dregree spray. Quick, easy and with an impenetrable coating, not a sacrificial one. Job done. I see little point in going to the cost and expense of galvanising something that will rot away in time when you can do a permanent job from the outset at little cost with one of these newer products on offer. The saving cost to the industry alone would be massive.
Post #897184 10th Apr 2021 10:53am
L110CDL

England 
Zagato wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Off Topic liking the Saab, Zagato Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #897820 12th Apr 2021 9:20pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Pretty pic time. The 110 is 'Bear100's Shocked the picture does not do it justice. I have had some pretty modified vehicles in over the last ten years and 900 or so Defenders but I can honestly say Ceri has thrown absolutely everything at this, and done most of it himself, right down to the door handle press buttons. All practical stuff also.

Ceri also the wins first and only prize for cleaning the vehicle. I have some pretty OCD clients which is why they come to me who have a go at getting the mud out of the crevices but this Defender is the only one which has been done COMPLETELY thoroughly Shocked . I am currently working on it over a two week period with the mentality similar to working on an Airfix Kit, I.e. Take a small area at a time, take your time and have lots of break from it... I don,t spend too long each day on the work so I keep fresh and motivated. I am in no rush, I give myself plenty of time to do each vehicle, I'm not chasing money or into building empires Wink

Click image to enlarge
Post #903344 16th May 2021 9:11am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
A very nice local Autobiography Cool

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #903346 16th May 2021 9:13am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This one all the way from Spain, a left hooker that will live in Switzerland...

Click image to enlarge
Post #903347 16th May 2021 9:16am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This was nice, full on interior and another which left with a wash, 3 layer of wax and engine bay detail Cool

Click image to enlarge

Cool Thumbs Up Japanese import and I am now doing bikes I.e. Detailing and ACF-50 treatment Wink

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Bookings 07484160070, CCalvert@CCAutomotive.co.uk
Post #903348 16th May 2021 9:18am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Nice update and great work!!

Always makes me feel like I'm neglecting mine Embarassed James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #903367 16th May 2021 10:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 69 of 84 <123 ... 686970 ... 828384>