↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 327 of 351 <123 ... 326327328 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The lockpicking lawyer is not picking the same type of lock. The Optimill lock has additional features that make it significantly harder to open than the LPL's example (I know this because I raised the matter with Optimill, demonstrated how insecure the early ones were, and was involved in assessing the upgrade).

It can of course still be opened without the key (and the lock picking lawyer would make it look easy) but it requires a degree of skill that the average Defender thief lacks.

If you have an early type, Optimill will upgrade it for you.
Post #888621 2nd Mar 2021 1:55pm
dontwakemeup

Australia 
idk. the photo of it with the keys makes it look like a chinesium grade lock. would be fun to have a go at it if it wasn't so expensive. I know this is for the old defender but removable steering wheels aren't legal here in any circumstance.

It's probably just easier to have good insurance.
Post #888625 2nd Mar 2021 2:28pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Not Chinesium, and resistant to impressioning. Can be single-pin picked, but this is time consuming and not easy. Quicker to remove the boss with a cordless angle grinder (which negates any lock) but this is noisy.

Ultimately any lock can be overcome, all they do is slow the thieves down and make someone else's vehicle an easier target. The longer it takes and the more noise it makes to steal, the less likely your vehicle is to be stolen. The Optimill boss is a valuable part of a deterrent system.
Post #888627 2nd Mar 2021 2:43pm
SN

DSL wrote:
I have my eye on one not too far from me that might fit the bill, and can be dropped into conversation with SWMBO. I’ll have to be subtle as “dear, do you fancy a little drive up to Inverness and have a socially distanced walk around the LR dealer’s lot” isn’t going to work. Whistle

Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #888656 2nd Mar 2021 5:50pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Deffo not brave enough to try that with SWMBO. Whistle
Post #888663 2nd Mar 2021 6:35pm
Sepp

Germany 
[url] [/url]
Post #888697 2nd Mar 2021 8:47pm
Stuff

DSL wrote:
I have my eye on one not too far from me that might fit the bill, and can be dropped into conversation with SWMBO. I’ll have to be subtle as “dear, do you fancy a little drive up to Inverness and have a socially distanced walk around the LR dealer’s lot” isn’t going to work. Whistle

Derek, I am looking at a VW California 4-Motion with diff lock. About £76k when loaded with what we want. When either the RRS or the D4 are ready to be sold (and both have cost 💰💰💰💰 this year), we’re switching to VW Cali. Friends have done it, and are very happy.
Post #888867 3rd Mar 2021 8:40pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Unfortunately too rich for my blood, plus no way I would survive mentioning that kind of number to SWMBO. Whistle Whistle

Thinking Skippy would happily do all I want to do, might even get to do a Scandinavian road trip in her next year. Not sure anything is going to be possible this year. Sad
Post #888880 3rd Mar 2021 9:19pm
Chicken George

United Kingdom 
Hi,. Thinking of a change to a defender phev, currently have a petrol DS.

I have a lot of solar. 110kw,. So am looking for a use for the spare electricity
20 ish miles of Ev range would be very useful.
Post #888894 3rd Mar 2021 10:06pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Chicken George as on D3 site many, many moons ago?
Post #888898 3rd Mar 2021 10:25pm
Chicken George

United Kingdom 
Freel2,. Met some of you D3 guys in keilder

Then RRS. Then DSx2

Previous vehicles defenders and earlier versions also an fl1

Also drive a ford ranger, bought over the phone in lockdown for a nice price
Post #888903 3rd Mar 2021 10:46pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: 110 defender 2020
725browning wrote:
I woneder if anyone else here has rejected their new defender. After the excitement of taking delivery of my new 110 hse I have very sadly come to the end and I'm going through the rejection process. I'm totally gutted Bec I love the car and had all the accessories fitted. My grandkids spend every visit deploying the ladder and climbing on the expedition rack and look forward to a few adventures . It was the perfect car for me and the family. I have rattling doors, the pivi keeps going blank, constant low coolant warning, adaptive cruise drops Out, the dash display goes black and reboots whilst driving and now the locking won't operate. In the last 4 weeks I have had to drive to my wife's work 3 times to pick her up Bec the fob won't unlock the car. I am used to JLR problems and have owned them from a young age but I am done with the brand. I kid myself every time I hand over the cheque that this is it and this one will be different but who am I kidding. It's so bad that I have always bought new or demo just so I can have the warranty and peace of mind. If the new defender was field tested it must have been round the factory perimeter rd and back. How can all these rattles and wind noise have been missed. I know it's trivial but I attached the dog hammock also known as a joke of a parcel shelf into its fitting last week and the hanger came apart in my hand. If you take a close look at a lot of the fitments they are unbelievabley cheap. Apologies for the rant but I love the look of the car, it's not as in your face as my range rovers and it was going to be our family run about for the length of its warranty. JLR, why do you constantly frustrate customers who have stayed with you for 30yrs then tel them that this is a first when we report faults like we are dumb. What makes it worse is that every 3 yrs I buy a Citroen berlingo van for my work. I thrash it up and down the country, i have it serviced when I get time if it's lucky, it gets a battering inside with heavy equipment rolling round and ends up with give or take about 120 to 130k on the clock. Never once lets me down, doesn't rattle and I can honestly say it must sigh with relief when I trade it in. I take no pleasure in putting this on a web site and I am not out to embarrass JLR but I think they should take a long look at other manufacturers and drop their elitist arrogant attitude Bec they are producing better products than you and it wouldn't hurt for you to see that. Apart from that all is well and happy new year to you all Rolling with laughter

Did this happen?
Post #889273 5th Mar 2021 6:28pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
J77 wrote:
https://youtu.be/iWSKNGkH46E

I guess sometimes it doesn't take too much additional horsepower to get things moving Whistle

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=318582883073818

Click image to enlarge
Post #889426 6th Mar 2021 2:15pm
J77

Scotland 
Yeah but that John Deere is probably putting out 300hp Laughing 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #889444 6th Mar 2021 3:48pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Nothing runs like a Deere Mike
Post #889498 6th Mar 2021 7:31pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 327 of 351 <123 ... 326327328 ... 349350351>