↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 326 of 351 <123 ... 325326327 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

In 1996 my County TDi300 got the dubious luxuries of a pop up sun roof (that drips condensation on cold day ) 4 Speaker “stereo” radio/cassette that I couldn’t hear, a headliner over the rear load area , Safari windows, A frame on the front bumper that had soup-plate driving lights on it that weren’t that much more powerful than the full beam headlights and some nice alloy wheels. It’s still going strong now at 93000 miles but the driving lights went years ago when the lens were taken out by a low branch, the A frame went to make way for a winch and winch bumper, nice Tweed fabric seat covers that still look good (unstained by rainwater too unlike my 110) , the stereo gave out in 2001 and was replaced by a CD /radio then a Parrott Asteroid which is still going strong, and the pop up sunroof must be one of the few that doesn’t leak in the rain but still drops icy drips down the back of my neck on a cold morning. How our idea if “luxury” has changed - now we have a lot of those things as standard and wouldn’t look at a new Defender with no hands free phone connection, plastic trimmed seats or no powerful LED headlights. In 1996 my County left the factory as a County HT and also got a small window each side of the rear door (also it had a rear door window that was heated and had a rear window wiper as extras!) Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 1st Mar 2021 3:44pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #888451 1st Mar 2021 2:40pm
SN

1996 . . . just got my first Vauxhall Vectra company car . . . with TrafficMaster! Remember that! Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #888461 1st Mar 2021 3:31pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Tim in Scotland wrote:
In 1996 my County TDi300 got the dubious luxuries of a pop up sun roof (that drips condensation on cold day ) 4 Speaker “stereo” radio/cassette that I couldn’t hear, a headliner over the rear load area , Safari windows, A frame on the front bumper that had soup-plate driving lights on it that weren’t that much more powerful than the full beam headlights and some nice alloy wheels. It’s still going strong now at 93000 miles but the driving lights went years ago when the lens were taken out by a low branch, the A frame went to make way for a winch and winch bumper, nice Tweed fabric seat covers that still look good (unstained by rainwater too unlike my 110) , the stereo gave out in 2001 and was replaced by a CD /radio then a Parrott Asteroid which is still going strong, and the pop up sunroof must be one of the few that doesn’t leak in the rain but still drops icy drips down the back of my neck on a cold morning. How our idea if “luxury” has changed - now we have a lot of those things as standard and wouldn’t look at a new Defender with no hands free phone connection, plastic trimmed seats or no powerful LED headlights. In 1996 my County left the factory as a County HT and also got a small window each side of the rear door (also it had a rear door window that was heated and had a rear window wiper as extras!)

Did you have the luxury of a clock as well Tim, or did they only appear on the later TD5 Counties?
Post #888478 1st Mar 2021 5:10pm
J77

Scotland 
SN wrote:
Would anyone like to enlighten me on what is so special about a County specification?

Nothing special as such, but to me it’s just the classic 90/110/Defender look 23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green
Gone - 23MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver
Gone - 21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue, Fuji White roof.
Post #888489 1st Mar 2021 5:55pm
Tim in Scotland

Yes I have a proper analogue clock on the dash

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #888495 1st Mar 2021 6:07pm
lohr500

I think that clock was one of the "exclusive" County features Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Not so sure about the small diameter "sports" steering wheel though.
Post #888498 1st Mar 2021 6:11pm
Tim in Scotland

It makes the steering incredibly light, you have to turn it several hundred turns to get any change in steering direction Thumbs Up

When did the TDi get superceded by TD5? It can’t have been too long after mine was built as I had a D2 TD5 Auto in 1998 or 1999. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #888507 1st Mar 2021 7:15pm
lohr500

I think TD5 Defender appeared very late 1998. I had a T reg 90 County which was a brilliant vehicle. I think TD5 was the 1st Defender to be fitted with traction control working through the ABS system.
Post #888510 1st Mar 2021 7:24pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
TDi? My first 110 was a 1987 (I think) TD. With wind down windows. Took it all the way down to the bottom of Greece and then through the Austrian Alps on the way back. Those were the days. Thumbs Up

Closest pic I can find.

Post #888512 1st Mar 2021 7:27pm
SN

Ok thats enough now, this is the "2020 Defender main discussion thread" after all! Whistle

Can we get back to whether Derek is going to get permission to buy one? Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #888513 1st Mar 2021 7:29pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Or was. Whistle

And sadly no “oh go on then” yet. Big Cry Big Cry There’s a lovely green S model with lunch box driving around Grantoon at the mo, reminds me how much it’s the D3 replacement. Big Cry Big Cry
Post #888516 1st Mar 2021 7:31pm
Tim in Scotland

Maybe we should put Derek out of his misery and chip in to get him sent on an aversion hypnotherapy course so that every time he encounters a New Defender all he sees is an onion......... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #888595 2nd Mar 2021 9:42am
DSL

United Kingdom 
I have my eye on one not too far from me that might fit the bill, and can be dropped into conversation with SWMBO. I’ll have to be subtle as “dear, do you fancy a little drive up to Inverness and have a socially distanced walk around the LR dealer’s lot” isn’t going to work. Whistle
Post #888596 2nd Mar 2021 9:45am
Sepp

Germany 
You could make it a lovely sightseeing trip to Inverness.

There is a converted watchtower in Kessock Road. At the end of the road you can enter a small park with a coastal promenade like walkway with lovely views. Some pieces of art located on the right hand side of the road between the watchtower and end of road.

Take her to the end of Ness Road in Fortrose, great spot for dolphin watching at times tide comes in and out.

And could anybody from Inverness just by chance park his/her ND at the parking lot end of Kessock Road / Ness Road?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Sepp on 2nd Mar 2021 2:44pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #888603 2nd Mar 2021 10:34am
dontwakemeup

Australia 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
It makes the steering incredibly light, you have to turn it several hundred turns to get any change in steering direction Thumbs Up

You should see the lockpickinglawyer on youtube impression one of these locks with a 10 dollar tubular ebay pick. Scary fast.
Post #888610 2nd Mar 2021 11:26am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 326 of 351 <123 ... 325326327 ... 349350351>