↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus Discussion/Advice/Assistance Thread (Part 2)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 35 <123 ... 111213 ... 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52508010

A 97% drop since this time last year, the lowest new registration figures since 1946. Extraordinary.
Post #829337 5th May 2020 8:20am
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Its an awful time at the moment, Laurie my thoughts are with you, we just lost the farther in law to the virus and the day he died the mother in law was taken into intensive care on a respirator fighting for her life.
so sad because when they leave in the ambulance that's the last time you see them.
I know the NHS are doing their best and a fantastic job but there is a serious lack of communication to the outside world to find out how your loved ones are doing.

Just praying the mother in law pulls through Bow down

Stay safe 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #829343 5th May 2020 8:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
We’ve allocated a person (a retired colleague who’s shielding at home) the job of phoning family of our patients to update them and to try and answer questions they might have. It’s not perfect - certainly no substitute for seeing them.

There have been times when she’s phoned families after the death of their loved one - which has also been helpful and some comfort (she’s very good at communicating facts and also dealing with grief).

If it’s becoming clear that death is inevitable, we’ve facilitated visiting with the understanding that those who come into the ‘red’ COVID areas of the unit then have to isolate. The visitors are given PPE to wear.

We have used FaceTime and Skype too with an iPad we use on the unit, so that family can see their relative.

These are desperate times. My condolences to all who have lost someone and an arm around the shoulder for those with someone who’s sick with this disease.

Thank God the numbers are falling. We’ve still managed to overtake Italy in the number of deaths in the UK though I see.
Post #829434 5th May 2020 8:57pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Hello again from Aussie, compared to the rest of the World, we seem to be doing reasonably well here, but it's a "knife edge" situation, hoping that new "outbreaks" do not occur. We seem to be controlling minor "cells" quite well.
We have been introduced to an "App", which will be of great assistance in advising those who sign up for it, in advising them that they may have come into contact with an infected person. I think I've heard that same is being considered in your neck of the woods?
My wife & I are self isolating ourselves, we go for a walk pretty much every day, and have arranged to have our groceries etc delivered.
Other than that, we are quite happy to be at home, do a bit of reading, publications such as "Octane" which some of you may be familiar with.
Anyway, I wish you all well, Pickles.
Post #831326 16th May 2020 12:14am
Pickles

Not much interest in discussing Corona?
Since I last posted, things have got rather worse in Victoria, the State in which we live, predominantly due to selfish individuals failing to treat the virus seriously, going about their business, infecting their family & others etc.
I saw a picture on the web recently of "Bournemouth Beach", by the look of which there's a few people in your neck of the woods who don't care too much also.
Anyway, as usual, we're staying home, hoping for the best.
Pickles.
Post #840580 29th Jun 2020 11:56pm
wee-man

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
Hi Pickles, I read with great interest your updates as my little sister and her family leave near Melbourne (Kyneton) and from what I understand the virus is being treated far better than it is here. It's not affecting us too much, my commuting to London has been suspended since March and we live in the Suffolk countryside so feel relatively safe. Self isolation for us is easy as we have a bit of land and no inclination to mix in crowds. Keep safe and keep posting.
Post #840757 30th Jun 2020 6:13pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Just heard that Melbourne, or parts at least, are going back into lockdown. Good luck. It's a beautiful city I got to know over 6 months working there, so it's quite close to my heart. Take care there.
Post #840854 1st Jul 2020 6:32am
Pickles

wee-man wrote:
Hi Pickles, I read with great interest your updates as my little sister and her family leave near Melbourne (Kyneton) and from what I understand the virus is being treated far better than it is here. It's not affecting us too much, my commuting to London has been suspended since March and we live in the Suffolk countryside so feel relatively safe. Self isolation for us is easy as we have a bit of land and no inclination to mix in crowds. Keep safe and keep posting.

Kyneton?..a GREAT spot, well out of Melbourne, a great "Foody" spot, lots of nice eateries, craft shops etc there.
Regards, Pickles.
Post #840892 1st Jul 2020 7:39am
Pickles

Supacat wrote:
Just heard that Melbourne, or parts at least, are going back into lockdown. Good luck. It's a beautiful city I got to know over 6 months working there, so it's quite close to my heart. Take care there.

Thank You.
Yeah, it's not too flash here at the moment, infections have increased, in no small way, caused by arrogant, selfish individuals who do not obey the rules, and who apparently have no regard for their own life, never mind anyone else's.
Regards, Pickles.
Post #840895 1st Jul 2020 7:43am
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Hi Pickles.

We're all waiting with bated breath for something to kick off again! The Intensive Care community is sitting in a lull at the moment - the only cases coming in are the usual types of pathologies both medical and surgical.......and still the odd COVID. There are still people acquiring the infection but far fewer than there were in March. This is good news and bad - good for obvious reasons; bad because people are perhaps falsely reassured that all is well (and it's not yet!).

There's still no treatment and people are still dying but they are doing so in far fewer numbers, to sum up.

There's now a drive to try and get back to some form of normality in the NHS - we're looking at ways to get elective surgery going again, for example, and we are doing, with 'Green' cases coming in after isolating for a fortnight and having a negative swab 48 hours before admission.

Outpatient appointments are happening again but more often this now involves a phone-call or a Facetime meeting rather than a trip to hospital (which is good as they can't very easily not turn up at home!). They're also looking at taking back the ward facilities that Intensive Care have occupied to re-open them as what they were. I'm concerned that we're not completely out of the woods yet though and that back-pedalling will be hard to do if cases increase again!

There's other difficulty too - like looking at ways of cancer patients getting their chemotherapy safely and of organ transplantation getting back up to speed again (there's 2 examples of the 'hidden' casualties of the pandemic for you).

It's worrying too seeing the numbers of infected still increasing on the other side of the world. I don't know if the numbers dying is following suit or not though and thankfully thus far in Oz the numbers are still small. Is this a sign that the virus is becoming less lethal? Let's hope so.

We'll emerge from this at some point, but I fear into a whole different world. Right now, we're all just glad that it's quietened down for a bit!

Stay safe!
Post #841340 2nd Jul 2020 4:53pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Thanks Doc P Thumbs Up

Wise words as always.
Post #841341 2nd Jul 2020 5:12pm
Tim in Scotland

I’m not an SNP supporter by a long way, but I must say that the Scottish Govt has dealt with the coming out of lockdown far better than Boris and his ministers. We still have daily briefings, until 3rd July we still have tight controls on how far you are supposed to travel from home (hugely ignored by certain groups of citizens who think that they are immune - the 0-45 years olds and the wealthy 70+ age group). Law was enacted last week to to prohibit public access to several beauty spots because of zero physical distancing, dangerous parking and with there being no public toilets fouling with human waste as well as fouling by litter. Nicola Sturgeon has appeared on TV every day immaculately dressed, smartly done hair and spoken in a calm and authoritative way getting the point across in a brief and clear manner. It’s almost like watching a comedy show watching Boris, Pitti Patel, Matt Hancock or Robert Jenrick waffling on saying the absolute minimum and avoiding speaking about the serious questions that were being put to them. Up here police have issued thousands of fines for violating lock down rules, not observing physical distancing rules and for groups of too many people - we just don’t hear about that happening down south. We have a situation in SW Scotland with a spike in infections, no beating about the bush, stricter enforcement of the lockdown, no waiting while Government Depts argue about who has responsibility and who should inform the local authority about who the actual cases are. Boris thought it was unacceptable that there was a suggestion that quarantine of people from England coming to Scotland might be introduced, in his typical Etonian school boy London centric way he doesn’t seem to understand what we have gone through for longer up here to get the infection rate right down and the death rate way down but all he wants is for back to normal with all that that brings with it - no control over distancing, big crowds, refusals to wear face coverings by many ( as of 10th July in Scotland by law we will have to wear not a face covering but a face mask to enter any shop as well as on public transport) and all he wants to do is spread infection by allowing unlimited travel throughout the U.K. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 3rd Jul 2020 7:04am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #841390 2nd Jul 2020 8:44pm
Pickles

Thank You Tim & Doc P.
Yes, in Aussie we have a combination of those issues.
We have a very strong National Cabinet made of of the various State & Treasury Premiers who have largely been supporting our Excellent Prime Minister Scot Morrison (ScoMo) who has provided excellent, strong, leadership.
But unfortunately, in Victoria, we have a Labor Govt, led by our Premier Daniel Andrews, who whilst being a person I would never vote for, has been a strong supporter of the Prime Minister, and a valuable contributor to the National Cabinet, & to his credit, Andrews has been "laying the law down" with respect to staying at home, self isolation etc etc,,all good & proper stuff.
BUT, unfortunately, He has not been supported by his weak, "lefty", bureaucratic Health Dept, who have not got the message across, haven't got proper quarantine measures in place-actually they've bungled them, plenty of "waffly" words, plenty of excuses etc, but incapable of implementing the appropriate preventative measures so necessary to combat this disease. So now we are in the middle of increasing infections.
Luckily though Victoria, at this stage, seems to be the only State that is in this position.
Pickles.
Post #841413 3rd Jul 2020 12:22am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Tim, I think I'm in your camp on this, however, I heard a thoughtful piece from Matthew Parris yesterday. Now I don't agree with his politics on many issues, but he is able to make a cogent argument.

https://lockdownsceptics.org/
Post #841420 3rd Jul 2020 4:26am
Tim in Scotland

Supacat, I heard the same piece and thought exactly the same. Boris should have done what Maggie did in the Falklands war and appointed “the public face” of the government to make the announcements Matthew Parris could have been that person!
Up here the Conservative and Unionist Party and Scottish Labour don’t have any leadership who are able to hold a candle to Nicola Sturgeon - Labour last weekend found out through a survey that nobody even knew who their Scottish leader (Richard Leonard) is.......... 99% of the surveyed people didn’t know! More people knew who the leader of the C&U party is, but not many more.......
This morning’s headline
Coronavirus: Scotland's five-mile travel limit lifted https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53264720 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #841428 3rd Jul 2020 6:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 12 of 35 <123 ... 111213 ... 333435>