↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus Discussion/Advice/Assistance Thread (Part 2)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 13 of 35 <123 ... 121314 ... 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
Slideywindows

England 
England started relaxing lockdown a few weeks ago and everyone said Boris was wrong.

So far, apart from Leicester, there has been no widespread upsurge of Covid-19 in England.

Boris seems to trust the English people more than the Scottish government seems to trust their people, so it keeps the iron fist on them.

How the English behave in the next few days however, will be crucial.

The jury is out.

My main fear is the coming Autumn/Winter, as the virus seems to like cold damp conditions.
Post #841633 3rd Jul 2020 9:06pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
My mum's still in the Leicester lockdown area (just). Next doors are having a big party tonight, loads of people and cars arriving. Nice folks, they run a care home....

Hopefully one of her neighbours will make an appropriate phone call.

And we wonder why the virus keeps going.
Post #841639 3rd Jul 2020 9:25pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Prepare for lockdown number 2

NHS are gearing up.
Post #842160 6th Jul 2020 7:39pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
If the NHS is truly gearing up, it’s news to us working in it Laughing
Post #842176 6th Jul 2020 8:36pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Not good in "Sunny Downtown Melbourne".
Greatly increasing infections created by people who simply are too stupid to obey the rules and simply self isolate & STAY HOME, maintain distance etc,...the number of people seen out & about is ridiculous, as is the number of individuals who say that the virus can't hurt them, they're not worried about it, etc etc...absolutely insane,...so now we are in serious trouble.
Pickles.
Post #842224 7th Jul 2020 12:07am
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I know a few very high up peeps and have had the nod that a second wave bigger than the first will hit in August then an even bigger one in November.
People seem to think the virus will just move on! Madness!!

Get ready for the panic buying of toilet roll Shocked 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #842235 7th Jul 2020 6:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The BBC this morning is reporting that Melbourne (the one in Oz, not Leicestershire) is back in lockdown due to a spike in cases.

Quite a number of the pubs in the UK which opened at the weekend are now closed again due to customers being found to be infected.

I still feel that it is way to early to "get back to normal", what ever that may mean.
Post #842263 7th Jul 2020 8:51am
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
The "quiet a number of pub that have closed" is three. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #842265 7th Jul 2020 9:03am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I ventured out late Sunday afternoon to Hunstanton on the North Norfolk coast to walk the dog with the current Mrs Rashers.

It was not great weather as the wind was very brisk and the sea was breaking onto the prom (if you can call it that!), but it wasn't cold.

What I noticed was many outlets, shops and cafes hadn't bothered to open. Those that had didn't seem to be doing much business. There were quite a few people about and in general, everyone was being really good about the social distancing and keeping themselves isolated. The amusements were open but completely empty, other than three kids going round the crazy golf.

With the exception of the weather, it must be really disappointing for the town. As with all sea side resorts, they have a very small window of opportunity to make money, and the window by the week is getting smaller.

The local council had done well by putting up extra outside wash stations and there were signs and stickers everywhere to remind everyone of their duty. It's difficult to see how these businesses will survive if this is the new normal, or as predicted, we have another wave of infections and we all get locked down again.

I also thought afterwards that Hunstanton would be one of the nearest coastal resorts for anyone living in Leicester to visit Shocked
Post #842288 7th Jul 2020 11:28am
blackwolf

ARC99 wrote:
The "quiet a number of pub that have closed" is three.

OK, that is quite a small number then. The good old BBC was careful to be very vague this morning, reporting that "a number" had had this problem and visiting three, but without pointing out that these were the only three.

That's BBC reporting for you, more fool me for not being more careful!

BBC are now reporting three, ITV is reporting "at least three", Sky is reporting "a number". All very devious and misleading.
Post #842308 7th Jul 2020 1:02pm
Rashers

The way I have read that story is there have been a number of pubs which have been closed because of reports of customers having Covid-19 and three of these pubs have been identified.

I am curious to find why the pub is forced to shut. I am sure that most supermarkets have had people in them who developed Covid-19, but I haven't heard of Tesco's shutting any stores? Maybe it was due to social distancing issues?

This goes to show that any movement outside your house is a calculated risk however you feel about this.

It has just been reported that out of a study of 36000 people tested for Covid-19, 80% of the positive cases were showing no signs or symptoms.
Post #842315 7th Jul 2020 1:33pm
blackwolf

Rashers wrote:
... This goes to show that any movement outside your house is a calculated risk however you feel about this. ...

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I think that the people who are capable of calculating the risk are the ones who are not going out. The ones in the pubs, on Bournemouth beach, and so on, on the whole appear incapable of calculating anything let alone the risk of contracting Covid.
Post #842320 7th Jul 2020 1:54pm
Rashers

I agree, blackwolf Thumbs Up

Soho in London at the weekend wasn't looking too sharp, either.

There was a quote about this weekend, and I am paraphrasing - drunk people lose the ability to be able to socially distance.

I hope we aren't, but I fear that the people who think that the pubs opening means its all over and we can go back to how we were are driving the country towards another spike in cases and probable lock down.

It is all quite depressing when the only things anyone seems to be interested in are

When can I go down the pub?

and

When can I go on holiday?

Probably best to first worry about you and your families health and second worry about your job. Without either of those, a pub and a holiday seem as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
Post #842329 7th Jul 2020 2:32pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
bear100 wrote:
I know a few very high up peeps and have had the nod that a second wave bigger than the first will hit in August then an even bigger one in November.
People seem to think the virus will just move on! Madness!!

Get ready for the panic buying of toilet roll Shocked

Which we make and store in huge quantities in the UK.........simple nonsense by the simpletons......
Post #842440 7th Jul 2020 9:26pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Well, as of 11.59 pm tonight, all of "Greater Melbourne" will be in lockdown for 6 weeks. That's a pretty big area, probably 100 klms from one extremity to the other, because it includes what we call "The Mornington Peninsula" which incidentally is where my daughter & her family live.
We can handle the actual lockdown ok, because it's virtually how we, and any sensible person, have been living for a while. But it's the financial ramifications for us, & Aussie as a whole, which may be an even bigger worry.
But our Victorian State Govt, who make the rules for Victoria, and are supposed to be looking after us, have been sadly lacking in their ability to arrange & enforce the rules. Plenty of do-gooders, lefties, ra ra ra people who are all too willing to make flowery speeches, waffle on etc, but when it comes to actually DOING something, they've been found out.
A prime example is maintaining security at quarantine centers. The Govt had the offer of 1000 trained ADF (Australian Army personnel, health & others all appropriately trained as Army people are) to man these centers, but refused the offer, and employed a security firm who employed untrained part timers, who had no training whatsoever in security / hygiene matters etc, slept with some of those quarantined, let people in & out, with a consequent massive spread of virus.
I guess you'll read about it in the papers, Pickles.
Post #842469 8th Jul 2020 1:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 13 of 35 <123 ... 121314 ... 333435>