↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus Discussion/Advice/Assistance Thread (Part 2)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 35 <123 ... 131415 ... 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
Procta

United Kingdom 
pickles i hope you lot will pull through this second wave, Thumbs Up If the uk gets it then the country will be bust Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #842471 8th Jul 2020 5:56am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Lockdown was eased in France four weeks ago. Bars, shops, restaurants all open but with ‘measures’ in place. In restaurants and bars that means table service and 1-metre spacing. Swimming pools, markets, beaches and other areas also all open. So far, no spikes. No panic. And no media hype. A sense of normality, apart from bar staff wearing masks. Public wearing of masks seems to be entirely arbitrary. Proximity as well.

Mrs Grenadier and I drove to the Luberon for a week’s break last week. (Only spotted one Defender 🤔). The town we stayed in has a very famous market and it was just like normal. People standing next to each other, skin to skin, leaning over to pick things up from stalls etc etc. All tables in the restaurants and bars were full. You genuinely wouldn’t have known C-19 had ever happened.

Won’t surprise you to hear that the press and certain members of the public think the French government has mismanaged the crisis, that too many have died in care homes, that there wasn’t enough PPE. Sound familiar?

The PM has just resigned and a review into the government’s handling has been independently launched by a state procurator. Similar to a public enquiry in the UK, but entirely independent of government and can lead to criminal charges. A number of ministers are under the microscope.

We have no idea what the UK are getting up to. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #842473 8th Jul 2020 6:52am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
90 Dreamer wrote:
bear100 wrote:
I know a few very high up peeps and have had the nod that a second wave bigger than the first will hit in August then an even bigger one in November.
People seem to think the virus will just move on! Madness!!

Get ready for the panic buying of toilet roll Shocked

Which we make and store in huge quantities in the UK.........simple nonsense by the simpletons......

I'm wondering why then, as we were self isolating, we couldn't purchase any online for maybe the first 6 weeks? Even now relative staples are regularly missed off our shopping list as not available. There's an issue somewhere in the supply chain; and it doesn't really matter if we have warehouses full, if it's not getting into shopping baskets.
Post #842474 8th Jul 2020 7:02am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
no people simply panic bought in massive quantities (jeered on by Billy and his/her mates on FB or other social media shoite) - the supply chain simply couldn't keep up

as usual the UK media missed this totally and failed to actually report the facts and help restore 'normality'

other parts of the world rely on (mainly) China for their loo roll and yes there were real issues in these cases
Post #842487 8th Jul 2020 8:37am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
There was also a shift in where stuff was consumed. If you bake at home, you're buying flour in 1 or 1.5 kg bags. If you're buying cakes baked in a shop, they're buying in 15 or 20kg sacks. There just wasn't the capacity to package everything for retail sizes. There's still a problem at the moment - plenty of flour, just not enough in small bags.
Similarly for buying food - restaurants don't buy small tins of tomatoes! I don't eat out often, but I have friends who think nothing of eating out 2 or 3 times a week. If that shifts to home consumption, it's a big change in purchasing.
Post #842488 8th Jul 2020 8:44am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Supacat wrote:
I'm wondering why then, as we were self isolating, we couldn't purchase any online for maybe the first 6 weeks? Even now relative staples are regularly missed off our shopping list as not available. There's an issue somewhere in the supply chain; and it doesn't really matter if we have warehouses full, if it's not getting into shopping baskets.

Supacat, I hope you’re not including your Defender upgrades in ‘staples’ because if you are, maybe that’s where the availability problem lies? Most factories have been closed after all. Whistle Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #842489 8th Jul 2020 8:46am
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Grenadier wrote:
Lockdown was eased in France four weeks ago. Bars, shops, restaurants all open but with ‘measures’ in place. In restaurants and bars that means table service and 1-metre spacing. Swimming pools, markets, beaches and other areas also all open. So far, no spikes. No panic. And no media hype. A sense of normality, apart from bar staff wearing masks. Public wearing of masks seems to be entirely arbitrary. Proximity as well.

Mrs Grenadier and I drove to the Luberon for a week’s break last week. (Only spotted one Defender 🤔). The town we stayed in has a very famous market and it was just like normal. People standing next to each other, skin to skin, leaning over to pick things up from stalls etc etc. All tables in the restaurants and bars were full. You genuinely wouldn’t have known C-19 had ever happened.

Won’t surprise you to hear that the press and certain members of the public think the French government has mismanaged the crisis, that too many have died in care homes, that there wasn’t enough PPE. Sound familiar?

The PM has just resigned and a review into the government’s handling has been independently launched by a state procurator. Similar to a public enquiry in the UK, but entirely independent of government and can lead to criminal charges. A number of ministers are under the microscope.

We have no idea what the UK are getting up to.

Hello Mr Grenadier, the fact that you are out of lockdown & relatively back to normal is very heartening news to me, as here in Melbourne, thanks to a few shocking quarantine blunders by our State Govt, we have just started a 6 week lockdown period, where we're only allowed to leave home for food, medical matters etc. We just about had it beaten, then the State Labor employed entirely unsuitable (some of the so called "security" people employed by the Govt, actually slept with detainees, let them in & out of buildings etc) & untrained staff, which has led to a severe outbreak.
Did you have many infections/deaths in France.
Glad you & yours are OK, Pickles.
Post #842675 9th Jul 2020 1:00am
Pickles

Hello again from Aussie, where we are not doing so well with Corona, particularly in Melbourne, Victoria, where I live.
We thought we had it beaten, but owing to some serious errors by the Victorian Govt, we're now in trouble in Melbourne, with increasing infections & deaths. Victoria is now averaging 270+ per day new infections, we have 1803 active cases, 85 in intensive care & 20 deaths,......which I realize is absolutely insignificant compared to what you people are enduring.
But this thing spreads so quickly & so easily, I wonder what is ahead. I just thinking what you guys do to keep safe, I see you've had around 290,000 infections & many thousands of deaths.
Do you guys feel that your "Authorities" are getting on top of it?
Regards, Pickles.
Post #843609 14th Jul 2020 9:56am
90 Dreamer

its OK in 10days time we will all be wearing masks and other 'preventions' will be in place..........
Hancock has told the virus to stay put in the interim, guess this allows Cummins to get one of his mates a mask contract in place..........
Post #843619 14th Jul 2020 10:29am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
To be honest I don't like it when everyone blames "the government" or "the authorities"

yes, they can put stuff in place to help us, but at the end of the day it's down to the common sense of each and every individual, of which sadly a large portion don't have any.

All the rules and advice from the top, won't help if you have complete d!cks around.... I was out today in Broadway; a very well to do place in the Cotswolds.

Full of old crusties ambling all around the pavements window shopping, stepping back into you path, totally oblivious to keeping social distance. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post #843740 14th Jul 2020 7:20pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I think there are good and bad.

My parents went to Cromer yesterday on the North Norfolk Coast. Plenty of signs, notices, one way systems. Just a pity that no one seemed to bother following any of these to aid social distancing. They were so incensed that they didn't stop and came home.

Me and the current Mrs Rashers took the Defender and Meg the Labrador to Grafham Water near Huntingdon today. Other than two arrogant selfish cyclists, everyone else was incredibly good with their social distancing. There were people waiting outside the toilets for people to exit, moving over on paths, waiting at narrow areas, queuing with safe distances at the shops and generally just being incredibly caring and helpful and that includes everyone (except those two previous mentioned idiots), walkers, cyclists, dog owners, families, fishermen and bird watchers.

Makes you realise that most people are decent, doesn't it?

Sorry to hear that, Pickles. I am afraid that the same could happen here in the UK if people get bored with the instructions that we have been given and just start going off piste.

As for the masks, I would imagine that most people will start using masks in shops as soon as they receive their stocks (if they didn't have them already). My wife has a pattern and metal inserts so she can make her own masks. Luckily she is very handy with a sewing machine Thumbs Up
Post #843752 14th Jul 2020 8:22pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
You can't make it up:

"Police were called to patrol social distancing among doughnut-loving crowds in NSW."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-14/cor...n/12454862
Post #843774 14th Jul 2020 9:23pm
90 Dreamer

Similar to the 'fast food' queues we had over here.......who'd have thought that waiting for a MaccyD's was potentially even more fatal than actually eating it Rolling with laughter
Post #843779 14th Jul 2020 9:40pm
Pickles

Yes, there are stupid, selfish ignorant people everywhere, that seemingly don't seem to give a stuff about their own lives, let alone anyone elses.
Currently we are locked down, people are allowed to go to work if they cannot do so from home, otherwise, we're only allowed out for local exercise, essential supplies, medical care etc.
The Victorian State Labor Govt made some serious errors at the outset of the Virus, they were advised to put Police, and/or the Army quarantining incomers, but they didn't, they (no-one has admitted responsibility yet) hired private security firms without appropriate training, members of which slept with supposedly quarantined people, let them out for favors etc etc, as a consequence of which the virus got out into the community into Victoria, and at the moment it is out of control.
We order most of our groceries, supplies etc on line, so basically we just go for about a 3/4 - 1 hour walk in the morning, then for the rest of the time we're at home,....hoping for the best.
Regards, Pickles.
Post #843806 15th Jul 2020 12:59am
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Well
Not quite well down here also Sad

Here in Chile the things got out of control in May, skyrocketing the number of cases: mostly due the need of a lot of people to work for everyday bread (the government not issue a complete lockdown) and in some cases to do not follow the isolation request.

So now we have more than 300,000 cases (6th at world level) and 7,000 death, better compared with countries with a lower number of cases but still too high.

We have all the capital (9 millions) in a complete lockdown since 2 month ago and finally 1 month ago the number of new cases start to descend from 8,000 per day to 2,500 but still is too high.

All the girls and boys with remote lessons and my wife and me working remotely and receiving everything by delivery.

In short: we are not went outside the house since the beginning of April and we expect to be in-house for at least other 2-3 months.

Not good but still bearable

Cheers! Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #843810 15th Jul 2020 5:51am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 35 <123 ... 131415 ... 333435>