↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus Discussion/Advice/Assistance Thread (Part 2)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 34 of 35 <123 ... 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
That's a very specific response to a very narrow question and doesn't prove anything in isolation, though. A lot (I don't have figures but the statistics suggest a substantial proportion) have died because Covid contributed to it, i.e. it exacerbated an existing condition or circumstance. The key to that is the majority of those people weren't going to die prematurely before - they were just a bit ill or unfit or overweight, or whatever.

Without more specific data, the only easily accessible, meaningful figures are the excess deaths over what would be usually expected based on previous years, which shows a lot more than the answer to that question.

Part of the problem, of course, is that you can prove anything with statistics depending on how you interpret or present them (like that FOI response), and the official 'dies within 28 days of having Covid' figure is so open to interpretation that it's fuelled a lot of the scepticism. Given the now very high infection rates amongst the population it's already pretty meaningless as there's now a much higher chance of dying within that 28 day window of something completely unrelated. There's already talk of abandoning that as a measure and instead relying on death certificate details, which is more specific. The problem with that is that it's a much slower process and so is less useful as a planning tool when things are moving quickly. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #938269 19th Jan 2022 8:09am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I agree with you.

However what it does show is that if you are not very old, otherwise seriously ill, or seriously overweight, Covid is not, and never has been, much of a danger to you, bearing in mind that around 1500 people die each day from all causes in the UK.

We must be very grateful that Omicron is now completely dominant and the Covid 'threat', as much as it was ever a threat, is now history.
Post #938270 19th Jan 2022 8:21am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
The death bit has never worried me. Long Covid is the worry. My 56 year old, thin, fit sister ended up with hypothyroidism. Took 6 months to clear up. No idea what the long term impact of that is.
My cardiologist friend now has a full clinic of patients suffering from heart problems related to Covid.
Other specialities are reporting similar experiences.
Post #938279 19th Jan 2022 9:39am
Joe the Plumber

It would be interesting to know how many of the people with heart problems started having them after catching Covid, and how many after being vaccinated.

But at least this is all of merely historical interest now due to Omicron.

Hopefully we'll be fully back to the normal we were used to in 2019 this time next week.
Post #938289 19th Jan 2022 10:36am
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Back in the day a lot of people with AIDS died of pneumonia, didn't mean HIV virus wasn't a death sentence.
Post #938298 19th Jan 2022 11:38am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Joe the Plumber wrote:
It would be interesting to know how many of the people with heart problems started having them after catching Covid, and how many after being vaccinated.

But at least this is all of merely historical interest now due to Omicron.

Hopefully we'll be fully back to the normal we were used to in 2019 this time next week.

The Covid heart problems are very specific to Covid. Causality rather than correlation.

I'm yet to see any stats on long Covid with Omicron variant. Lack of hospitalisation is not the same as absence of long term symptoms.
Right now, we're all a little in the dark.
Post #938303 19th Jan 2022 12:09pm
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
The same web site shows that excess deaths were up 14% in 2020 (75,848 people) compared to the previous 5 years - so if only 7,851 were due to covid what caused all of the rest ?
The only other thing that changed in the UK was Brexit - maybe we all need to be vaccinated against Brexit which is the real reason for the excess deaths Rolling Eyes

Is Omicron less lethal ? or is it simple that the vulnerable are either already dead or have been triple vaccinated and the majority catching Omicron now are young and healthy ??
Post #938319 19th Jan 2022 1:32pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Hello from Aussie, just wondering how You guys are being affected by Covid these days.
I'm asking because, we've been going OK for a while, keeping numbers down etc, but during the last month or so there's been a very severe increase in cases, with hospitals & ambulance services being pushed to breaking point. Ambulance services have been affected because when they get a case to hospital, the hospital is unable immediately take the patient, so the ambulance has to wait, sometimes for several hours, to get the patient out of the ambulance & into the hospital, during which time of course, that ambulance is unavailable for normal duty.
We have very few restrictions in place, mask wearing is really only mandatory in hospitals & aged care facilities, it supposedly is on public transport, but it is not being enforced, so with very few restrictions & increasing infections, I'm wondering how we are supposed to get this under control, hence I was wondering how you guys were going.
Pickles.
Post #958929 20th Jul 2022 12:09am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Hello Pickles. Good to hear from you. That description of Australia is not dissimilar to us here in the UK.
I know more people with Covid now than I did even in the height of the pandemic. I have a friend in a hospital and her partner told me that it is everywhere and they are struggling with staff absences.. There are reports of our local ambulance service queuing at A&E (although this has been pretty much the normal in East Anglia for some time).
It is only anecdotal evidence, but it was said that hospital Covid admissions are increasing again, maybe with those that have underlying health problems?
The good thing is the people I know who have had it might have felt a bit rough for a while, but they didn’t need medical intervention. But I did see a statistic yesterday (it was either the BBC or Guardian website) which stated that 1 in 10 people who get it will be left with some kind of underlying health problem. That’s not great.
There are a few people wearing masks but they are few and far apart. The herd immunity hasn’t really worked but the mutations now seem to be less severe.
Unless we get a variant which gets worse, I can’t see many countries bringing in restrictions in the near future. I think we have just got to put up with it!
Me and the wife have never had it yet (or at least we don’t think we have!) We we’re informed last week, all UK residents above 50 will get an Autumn booster. Be interesting to see what the take up will be.
Post #958932 20th Jul 2022 5:06am
Pickles

G'Day Rashers.
Yes, it's the hospital admissions which are of the most concern to me.
Whilst our vaccination has gone reasonably well, & infections do not seem, at this stage, to be as severe as earlier, because of the sheer number of cases, hospital admissions are increasing rapidly, so that elective surgery is being cancelled, & the worry is that people who are severely ill with non covid issues, will not be able to obtain the treatment necessary even in life threatening situations.
There are only so many people that hospitals can admit, and it was reported in the Press recently that some ambulance arrivals were placed on a hospital floor for several hours, because emergency was full.
Many don't want to know about this sort of stuff, but anyone that works in a Hospital will say the situation is terrible.
IMHO, I believe mask wearing should be mandatory, & we recently discovered that the mask that gave really good protection was an N95, or P2,...do you have them?
My wife & I have had our 4th shot, & funnily enough at the same time, our Doctor gave me a flue shot & a shingles shot,....I didn't have any reaction at all!
Pickles.
Post #959069 21st Jul 2022 12:26am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I really reacted bad to the first injection. Three days written off. I felt a bit of a fraud as no one else I knew had any issues. The reaction to the jab seems to be a lottery. My Dad had his fourth booster (given to over 70's in the UK a while back) and he felt rotten for three days. He had never had an issue with the other three.

I hope that doesn't come over anti-vac as I am very pro-vac, just my observations.

I had a typhoid jab many years back now, and I had a worse reaction to that!

Reports in East Anglia of Ambulance Crews spending their shift waiting for their patient to be admitted to A&E.
Post #959074 21st Jul 2022 7:48am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Rashers wrote:
... I know more people with Covid now than I did even in the height of the pandemic. ...

According to figures from the ONS on 15/07/22, at present there are approximately 3.5 million cases in the UK equating to about 1 in 20 of the UK population.

Certainly in my workplace we have more cases at the moment than we have had at any time up to now. My impression is that by and large the "sheeple" seem to think that Covid is a thing of the past and no care is needed any longer, I view which both frustrates and worries me.
Post #959078 21st Jul 2022 9:33am
Pickles

Yes blackwolf, your last para represents how I see things 100%!
To compound issues in Aussie, we are now threatened by Foot & Mouth Disease, and having travelled to the U.K. in 2001, I know how devastating that was for your agricultural industry, at that time.
So yes, these two issues, combined with what's happening in Ukraine does not give one much reason for optimism at the moment.
Tough times, Pickles.
Post #959160 21st Jul 2022 11:55pm
Joe the Plumber

I implore you to take a step back and consider this.

After three rounds of drugs ("vaccines") in eighteen months, with Covid, as Omicron, now but a very mild cold, somehow people are still being put in hospital by it.

Does that not make you question the efficacy of the drugs rather than clamour for more of them?

And the most protected person on the planet, Joe Biden, fully drugged and masked, now has Covid.

It is not the undrugged being admitted to hospital, because if it was, it would be headline news everywhere, especially on the BBC.

Please have a hard think about what is going on, and how you would have reacted if someone had outlined the above scenario to you in 2019, before you roll up your sleeve again.

Remember, the vaccines we all received (yes, me included) as children didn't need repeating at all, let alone four times in two years.
Post #959162 22nd Jul 2022 9:01am
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Vaccines are not a cure, vaccines help to build antibodies to help people if they become infected, with several hundred sub-variants of Covid, total immunity is impossible, it helps with resistance.

It like saying I put on a coat last winter, but this winter I was cold, so the coat was no good. Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #959164 22nd Jul 2022 9:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 34 of 35 <123 ... 333435>