↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 211 of 351 <123 ... 210211212 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
/\ he did until early March. Still for sale with James French by the looks of it!

Good luck getting the issues solved Tim, hope it gets sorted.
Post #837273 15th Jun 2020 9:03am
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
I had the opportunity to drive a friends New Defender 'Supercomputer on Wheels' on the weekend and the first thing I noticed - it does not even support wireless Apple Carplay, I had to plug in the iPhone to the USB port. Come on Landrover, we are in 2020, you market this car as being top notch supercomputer technology ... Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #837289 15th Jun 2020 10:27am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
spudfan wrote:
Why should a dealer be expecting a payment for doing a PDI? Surely it should be done so the product is 100% surviceable for the customer. In fact it should leave the factory 100% serviceable for the customer.

When I was in the trade many years ago, it was normal for cars to be shipped to main dealers in a condition which required prep work prior to sale. In those days the most significant job was to remove the coating of protective wax that was applied to all our new cars (Peugeots, as it happens) as they left the factory to protect them during transit. It was also the case that we were the final pre-customer QC inspection, and it was surprising how many time shut lines needed adjusting, tools were missing, or of course dealer-fitted accessories had to be fitted (on some occasions "factory fitted" accessories were also fitted). What was surprising even in those days was the number of serious paintwork defects that used to arrive on new cars, and that is before the body damage that would sometime happen on the transporter. As a youngster it was a shock to me that the "new" car someone bought might already have had extensive panel work and respraying without the customer even knowing.

Whilst I believe that factory QC has improved dramatically for just about all makes I am sure that there are still vehicles which slip through (like the PowerfulUK Defender), and seeing new vehicles on transporters these days also makes it very evident that although wax is no longer the preferred protection mechanism there is still a lot to do before the vehicle that rolls of the transporter is ready to roll out of the showroom.

As far as I am aware also all manufacturers still require a PDI to take place, but the details of how it is funded would, I imagine, be down to the contract between the manufacturer and the dealer, possibly factored into the price of the vehicle. I do know from insider information in the not too distant past that JLR is pretty draconian about what dealers can charge for warranty and similar repairs, and I imagine that the balance between doing a decent job and getting paid for it by JLR is not easy. After all if your vehicle is in for a warranty repair, it is the dealer who you hold responsible for the standard of the repair, whereas it is actually JLR which determines how long the job can take and what work can actually be done.
Post #837290 15th Jun 2020 10:42am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Blackwolf, your post reminded me of my mate who worked his entire life in bodyshops and he always used to say that a good percentage of his work was repairing brand new cars before they went to the customer, especially transporter damage. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #837294 15th Jun 2020 11:04am
goodtimes

United States 
NinetyTD4 wrote:
I had the opportunity to drive a friends New Defender 'Supercomputer on Wheels' on the weekend and the first thing I noticed - it does not even support wireless Apple Carplay, I had to plug in the iPhone to the USB port. Come on Landrover, we are in 2020, you market this car as being top notch supercomputer technology ...

My dealer informed me wireless Apple CarPlay will be available after a software update later on. Thus far, BMW is the only manufacturer that has offered wireless CarPlay connectivity to my and my dealer’s knowledge.
Post #837299 15th Jun 2020 11:26am
Patriot0290

United States 
^^ Also on the 2020 Porsche 911S.
Post #837340 15th Jun 2020 3:33pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Land Rover Defender + Honda Element Mashup Is So Wrong, It’s Right: https://sports.yahoo.com/land-rover-defend...54216.html

"A perfect front end swap.
The new Land Rover Defender is finally here and after decades of selling the same design, the Defender finally had to contend with modern design influences. The new defender promises to bring the classic rugged Defender into the modern age blending cutting-edge tech with timeless durability. The exterior design of the new Defender has caused the greatest stir and today’s rendering will certainly keep this conversation going.

The team over at car front swaps has made their mark on the new Land Rover Defender grafting the front end of the Honda Element on to the front of the Defender. The results are surprisingly cohesive which is probably not something Defender fans want to hear right now. But there’s no denying that the front end of the Honda Element looks right at home on the Land Rover Defender matching the rest of the design seamlessly."

Click image to enlarge
 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #837344 15th Jun 2020 4:17pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey

In the good old days... if you were so inclined, you could endlessly get out of trouble with a few well placed hammer blows if you found that you had over stepped your skill level... this kind of wrap around plastic nonsense is a further negative styling based - zero functional add on that possibly the new defender will attract in increasing numbers... it is right up there with the plastic bonnet tread panels... remove all other words to leave only mashup

So sad Crying or Very sad SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #837345 15th Jun 2020 4:42pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think that actually looks better! Rolling with laughter

OK, I'll get my coat.
Post #837351 15th Jun 2020 4:53pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Supacat wrote:
J77 wrote:
zilch wrote:
For those who remember PowerfulUK Defenders restricted performance, somethings never change Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJte5cGhKH...DsXCLJlnpI

Don’t buy a diesel because you’ll have nothing but issues with the DPF they say Rolling with laughter

On a serious not it’s pretty poor show by LR. To me seemed a very simple fix. I believe though that GPFs don’t like to be thrashed they need to be driven at low speeds to regen.

Begs the question of what the LR Assist person actually did, other than read a code and say take it to the dealers?

I thought from reading the comments on the earlier video that LR HQ had made contact with him, so I was expecting it to go all quiet whilst it was fixed. If they were involved then it's a double whammy. The third part of the Censored poor performance is what the dealer appears to have told him and the way they have treated him. He's quite literally their lifeblood in these times and they appear to have no concept of customer service.

The sooner they all go to the wall the better...

I remember the days when the Land Rover Assist chap arrived in a sign written Discovery 3 / 4. not thinly disguised as an AA person as shown on the video.

Just to add some balance, on the way back from Tilford (Surrey) today there was an AA transporter than had a 57 plate 110 USW on the back and further along a 2020 FFRR that had just been picked up, not the best when it comes to the publics perception on the brand .

I guess Gerry will design some nice covers for the AA to throw over the vehicles as the come to collected them.
Post #837355 15th Jun 2020 5:51pm
Tim in Scotland

Before getting my car,I don’t know why, but I thought that the headlights were faired in with a large lense cover over the light but there isn’t anything there, the headlight is well recessed but here’s no big Perspex lens cover- could lead to an expensive repair if you get a low branch springing back onto the light fitting if J77’s comment about the cost of his Velar’s light unit Replacement is anything to go by and there are no light guards offered in the accessories...... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #837356 15th Jun 2020 5:53pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
They're a bit cheaper...

Matrix headlamps, £1,495 +VAT each ~ unless you want LHD

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72778.html
Post #837360 15th Jun 2020 6:14pm
labbix

Hi to you all.

Coming from a D4 and D5 and was interested in the new Defender, but maybe I’ll stick to the D5...

Have read most of the comments with lots of interest and was negatively ‘surprised’ with the not connected gpf!

But that most interesting video (although I liked the D4 comparison video a lot as well!)
from powerful UK just got ‘deleted’ (put on private).
So probably JLR is still following this thread/powerful UK and while errors happen with every make I really had hoped the new Defender would have it ‘all’ right from the start as really everybody is now looking at the Defenders reliability and this is just a very very bad start... truly disappointing, especially as 2 call outs didn’t work either and dealer didn’t notice. I’m moving to East Africa soon and really don’t want that kind of experience in the middle of nowhere!
Post #837365 15th Jun 2020 6:54pm
Stuff

JLR trading update today. Another 1,000 jobs to go in UK. New Defender has attracted 22,000 pre-orders, only slightly more than the last year’s sales of the old Defender. Source: Financial Times, citing JLR.
Post #837372 15th Jun 2020 7:20pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
labbix wrote:

But that most interesting video (although I liked the D4 comparison video a lot as well!)
from powerful UK just got ‘deleted’ (put on private).

So probably JLR is still following this thread/powerful UK and while errors happen with every make I really had hoped the new Defender would have it ‘all’ right from the start as really everybody is now looking at the Defenders reliability and this is just a very very bad start... truly disappointing, especially as 2 call outs didn’t work either and dealer didn’t notice. I’m moving to East Africa soon and really don’t want that kind of experience in the middle of nowhere!

It looks like the original collection video, where the problem 1st showed itself after 11 miles has gone as well.

So I guess this never happened then:

Click image to enlarge

Makes me feel... well like this:

Click image to enlarge
Post #837381 15th Jun 2020 7:44pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 211 of 351 <123 ... 210211212 ... 349350351>