↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 64 of 84 <123 ... 636465 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
diduan

Bulgaria 
Well, I cleaned all mud in front of the rear wheel, but it was packed far away down from my rust place. Furthermore what seems to be a square tube is not affected from rust from the outside despite been sprayed with water and mud from the rear wheel. The rust is concentrated only there. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #820203 19th Mar 2020 10:11am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Still open during these Coronavirus times as client contact is not necessary and I wear disposable boiler suits, gloves and a mask anyway Wink I am doing more local work through local recommendations. This one is worth a picture... a 6700 mile Bowler Shocked Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #826213 18th Apr 2020 2:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
That looks great Thumbs Up
Post #826231 18th Apr 2020 4:05pm
Jiiim

Hey all,

Just about to take the plunge on trying to do this myself. Shocked

I have a 2015 110, with a shocking amount of surface rust on the chassis for a 5 year old car.
No pictures. Just too embarrassing! Embarassed

I've read the thread, and seen the varying suggestions for what to apply over the years. I'm currently thinking of the dinitrol kits, with ML3125 penetrating wax and 4941 black underbody wax.
I did consider the kits with 447 black stone kit as well, but currently am thinking of just using 4941 everywhere, I think I read it can re-seal whereas the stone chip doesnt?

Any thoughts? Am I mad to try this myself?
I've already been under and washed out / dislodged an amazing amount of earth from underneath, so am finding all the nooks and crannies. I've also read this whole thread, and think I might have to do so again...
Post #831902 18th May 2020 11:14pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I always put 4941 on under any stone chip areas.

If you are using the rc900 acid convertor in an aerosol GET A PROFFESIONAL MASK otherwise you will be coughing phlegm up for three months! It is LETHAL. Just breathing a few breaths of it even with a professional mask on and your lungs will be damaged. I did this at the beginning of lock down and am still hacking and coughing, you have to have an air fed mask. The water based acid convertors are next to useless on a LandRover, better to use ACF-50! It keeps the rust at bay for longer. ACF-50 if using it wholesale will damage your lungs and of course so will the 4941, paper masks are useless.

Have fun Thumbs Up
Post #832316 21st May 2020 6:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
When you say acid convertor is that to treat rust??
Post #832432 21st May 2020 7:09pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Yes, e.g. Fertan, Ku-rust, Etc they are all acid based which kills rust BUT only light surface rust. They are all about 8% acid content and either water based or epoxy based. They do work but you have to get the rust right off, right down to the tiny rust "worms". An example of this should be a few pages back. Don,t be fooled by products that say they stop rust, they only stop rust showing through like the RAptor products and POR-15. If not treated properly it will just be rotting worse underneath. There is even a guy on a video doing it in the rain on his trailer professing how good it is and that it will stop the rust Rolling Eyes The reality in most cases is that you can slow it right down and stabilise it for years. Check on it every four years or so... Thumbs Up
Post #832843 23rd May 2020 11:38am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Cheers, do you have a recomend for DIY type use where people won't have access to a mask
Post #832946 23rd May 2020 6:22pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
You really need a proper mask for the Underbody Dinitrol but!!! Use a paint on water based stuff for the rust convertor and definitely not the aerosol but it is a near waste of time depending on how bad your chassis is. ACF-50 is more effective, most are turning to that and I use it now quite often.
Post #833307 25th May 2020 3:18pm
MarcusM

2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Keswick Green
This is a great thread - really helped me out thanks for all your knowledge Zagato- I’m working through protecting my car and have come across this... is this the tip of a bad rust iceberg?

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Keswick green 2007 Defender 90 TD5
Post #833401 26th May 2020 7:30am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Tricky to say without proper investigation. Get a small screwdriver and carefully dig into the rearwards area, also have a look on the A post and bulkhead in the same area with the door open, you might be able to catch it in time. Always amazes me how quickly rust can take hold of LR metal and develop holes.... keeping my fingers crossed for you, hoping it is not inside out. It is not uncommon to go in this area... Thumbs Up Once again I would say, if only folks got them treated properly ASAP it would save so much cost and work in the near future. You have to treat them like classic cars, they have zero rust protection, the metal is bare for instance under the cappings (hence why you see the, rotting from only 5 years old in some cases, especially 90's with weld points to other areas that have absolutely no primer, just porous black paint, like the whole chassis, bumpers, etc etc. Get some one to do it properly or have a go yourself and it will stop you losing 3-4K on the value. Maybe a good time to have a go during these times and this time of year is perfect with the sun out... Thumbs Up

I am still plodding on with some exciting projects. I have a very rare Porsche Targa coming in soon in mint condition as well as Defenders of course which I enjoy the most Very Happy
Post #833717 27th May 2020 4:52pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
I have a 93 Defender which the bulkhead is showing signs of bubbling, so I need to look at this asap. I was originally thinking try to last out 2 - 3 years then do a chassis and bulkhead in galv, but after reading recent comments about the Shielder bulkhead issues I now wonder about the viability of that (which has made me panic a bit).

On the outside I can see the bubbling and can start to address that. I presume take back to bare material and hope that it does not turn out to be a total dog. Then repair as necessary. Regarding killing any rust before applying paint, I have some Aquasteel - is that any good? I then presume a good zinc rich primer before a good hard top coat.

On the inside (quiver), do I just blast it wherever I can with ACF50? My order has just turned up today so I want to get on with it. What is best for applying it inside the bulkhead. I have bought the bottle and the small fillable spray, but what is best for getting deep inside? Is their a pressurised micro spray lance available?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Mick
Post #834036 29th May 2020 1:01pm
MarcusM

2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Keswick Green
Hi Zagato- thanks for your detailed reply- I’ll do some investigations. I’m at the point of thinking about doing the whole chassis myself- at least giving it a go whilst it’s so sunny. Do you sell any of the products I need yourself as ready to get started! Keswick green 2007 Defender 90 TD5
Post #834037 29th May 2020 1:22pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Apologies for short answers. Manic here at mo....

Mick, I have not used Aquasteel before, perhaps borrow/hire compressor, type suitable for spray paint only, won,t work otherwise! ACF-50 hand pump is rubbish.

Marcus, Rejel.com is one supplier, have fun Thumbs Up

This came in, sweet little Dellow Cool

Click image to enlarge
Post #834258 30th May 2020 4:38pm
Ian80

United Kingdom 
Zagato
Zagato, from reading your posts, it looks like you know a thing or two about rust protection.

if you dont mind me asking, how do you fine the dinitrol corroheat 4010? do you know if it drys to a hard finish, so dirt etc doesnt stick onto it?

thanks
ian
Post #835425 6th Jun 2020 9:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 64 of 84 <123 ... 636465 ... 828384>