↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 24 of 84 <123 ... 232425 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I would of thought the wax would be opaque! I can see your point however, let us now how you get on, maybe some pics. I may order a can myself to see the results also Thumbs Up
Post #465760 23rd Oct 2015 11:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
m33ufo

Wales 
Defender doesn't arrive until March but yes, happy to take some pics.

You may well be right Smile
Post #465784 23rd Oct 2015 12:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
randjafloat

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
ACF-50 or Corrosion Block?
Hi Everyone

We have the fun of picking up a new 110 SW in January as a "keeper" and so the expert input on corrosion protection is a great help - thanks!!

One question - several people talk about using ACF-50 for hinges etc etc. We have used corrosion block (from the same people, see http://www.acf-50.co.uk/automotive.htm) in the marine world for a while and are very happy with it. The suppliers mention it for automotive use too (comments about better adhesion / salt spray resistance) and so we wanted to check and see if there is a reason for using ACF-50 in preference to this. Sure there must be but wanted to check before we ordered the ACF stuff!

Thanks for your advice
Post #470423 7th Nov 2015 5:56pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
From talking to bikers ACF-50 has been used in the motorbike world for over 20 years and has krept slightly into the classic car scene but few still know about it. The Corrosion Block has been used in the marine industry for a while and I also ise it on my boat as a pot was left on my old yacht (the grease type that comes in a pot). The details of what this does in liquid form is the same as ACF-50 so I would guess that it is the same or very similar, I don,t have the time this evening to compare the contents of each type. If you have the corrosion block in spray liquid form from what it says on their website it looks suitable if not the same!!
Post #470508 7th Nov 2015 10:25pm
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
Job worth doing!
Hi all from a newbie Thumbs Up

After getting my first Defender and reading this thread I thought this should be my first task.

Ive posted some pictures below of my 2008 DCPU to illustrate what they look like if untouched since leaving the factory.

Firstly my car has never been off road but this is half of the soil that I removed from the various traps underneath.

Click image to enlarge

After power washing this is the general state of corrosion.

Click image to enlarge

And another

Click image to enlarge

More

Click image to enlarge

I will be attacking the rust with Fertan and applying my prefered option of Bilt Hamber.

I will post some updates for those interested.

Cheers

Nick
Post #470658 8th Nov 2015 1:08pm
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello Leviathan

Welcome to the 'Go 2' Tread for Corrosion Prevention on D2N... Exclamation

It's a good feeling when done...so good luck... Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #470661 8th Nov 2015 1:32pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This is my write up on the method I used, having read the forum a lot, and attacking it myself, hope it helps some of you.

++++++++++

OK, this is not a quick job to do, I spent an entire weekend doing it (not inc the prep) and having done it with Waxoyl on my TD5 I knew some of the pain I'd have to endure. This time I wanted to do it properly. Timing was crucial. I had pressure washed every nook and cranny, flushed it out and air blasted all the chassis and it had been able to dry thoroughly for 2 weeks. We had a dry weekend so I knew it was time to get on with it.

Here's the kit I bought to do it:

Dinitrol kit from Rejel (compressor version)
A can of ACF-50
throwaway coveralls x 2
disposable latex gloves
full face protection
Breathing masks
shower cap (you don't want this stuff in your hair)

You'll also need:

4 x Axle stands - I bought another pair of 3 tonne ones from Halfords for £17.50 and they're great
A tarp and/or plastic sheeting (I had an old tarp and also put thick polythene from a mattress that was delivered)
plastic bags
Tin foil
Masking tape
Masking paper
Paper towels
White spritis
A decent jack
A compressor (I got mine from Aldi)

So, here's how to do it at home (and apologies to Zag as I'm sure you do a much more thorough job).

First I removed the wheels and jacked it onto the axle stands after laying out the plastic sheeting - TRUST ME - you will need this.

Click image to enlarge

Once up in the air I crawled underneath and poked around with a screwdriver and low and behold, found even MORE dried mud up inside the door pillar area, so cleaned this out. I half filled a bucket with all the rubbish I got out of it again. More blowing out with the air gun.

Click image to enlarge

Whilst the wheels were off I turned the steering full lock each way so that I could take the opportunity to top up the swivels with one shot grease. Surprisingly each one took three quarters of a pouch. It's an easy job with a 1/2" socket. I advise you to check yours.

Here you can see the filler plug in plain view.

Click image to enlarge

Next I started masking the car up. I didn't do this last time, but having watched a video on Youtube on how the Pro's do it, I decided to give it a whirl and am VERY thankful I did. I put masking paper along the paintwork and also wrapped the axle stands, brake discs, flexible brake pipes, exhaust system and side steps. I am so pleased I made this effort.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

First I sprayed any signs of surface rust with the rust converter spray in the kit. The fine mist of the Dinitrol cavity wax gets everywhere, so the masking was worth it. The instructions say to prime the outer chassis with this stuff first as it aids adhesion. You obviously also use this to spray inside the chassis box sections etc. I used the extension tube to get inside the bulkhead via the blanked wiper holes, door top hinges and the door switch hole inside the cabin, until it was dripping out of all the places you'd expect it to.

Whilst the top hinges were undone I also ACF'd the captive nuts (which looked like new) and replaced the bolts with stainless steel ones (also sprayed in ACF50).

Once the chassis is primed, you can apply the under chassis wax whilst still wet. This stuff needs 6PSI to spray properly and is nice and thick when it goes on, I coated everywhere in it, especially the areas that are prone to corrosion such as footwells, outriggers, rear X member etc. Axles also got a nice coating but steered clear of the propshaft to avoid balance issues.

Click image to enlarge

After doing the wax, I then used the stone chip on the wheel arch areas. The instructions say not to spray the stone chip over the wax or vice versa (so I didn't). In the front wheel arches there are numerous holes in the plastic moulding, so I blanked these in with aluminium tape prior to spraying, to avoid lots of overspray in the engine bay.

I won't detail every single part and step I went through, but let's just say I was extremely thorough.

The end results looks good and it doesn't stink like Waxoyl.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Top Tips:

You cannot prepare enough - it seems a pain but is SO worth it.

The more protection you wear the better, you will get filthy, throw away coveralls, gloves etc are going to save your workshop gear. The full face visor I got from Toolstation was great, as it doesn't fog up like goggles.

The tarp on its own would have been useless as they have a weave, try calling a local bed supplier and asking if they have any mattress covers, the thickness is perfect.

Put the axles stand inside a plastic bag or bin bag before setting them under the car, or they get waxed.

Wrap the exhaust in foil front to back, its easy to do and effective, easy to remove.

It's an easy enough job to do yourself at home on the driveway, but you need to do your prep work. The end result though is the personal satisfaction and peace of mind that the underside is fully protected for years and years to come.

Shame no one else gets to see the end result! Big Cry 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #470995 9th Nov 2015 4:40pm
Didster

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Got my Autobiography back from its mild fettling Whistle at Bowler today and it's off down to Zagato tomorrow for the full treatment. Then it'll be time to put some miles on it! Various...
Post #478092 1st Dec 2015 8:23pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Didster.... you can't just put some minor fettling, we want some detail and photos please... Very Happy

Do you have your own thread?
Post #478301 2nd Dec 2015 12:04pm
Venomator

United Kingdom 
^ ^ ^
Reckon he does JOW... Thumbs Up

Check out Didster's 'My Defender' thread > HERE ... Mr. Green
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #478312 2nd Dec 2015 1:02pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Thank you Venomator, one day I'll learn how to use this forum properly!
Post #478314 2nd Dec 2015 1:09pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
RRUK wrote:
This is my write up on the method I used, having read the forum a lot, and attacking it myself, hope it helps some of you.

<snip>

It's an easy enough job to do yourself at home on the driveway, but you need to do your prep work. The end result though is the personal satisfaction and peace of mind that the underside is fully protected for years and years to come.

Shame no one else gets to see the end result! Big Cry

Amen to that - good post BTW Thumbs Up Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #478321 2nd Dec 2015 1:28pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Second that Thumbs Up

We are all on Weald clay around here with some very dodgy Tarmac drives so I would always have a secondary support as well as axle stands. One of my clients driveways was done last year, rip off job with holes cracks appearing already as the hard core underneath wasn't done properly. You can stomp your feet down to make an uneven surface and cracks Rolling Eyes
Post #478334 2nd Dec 2015 2:26pm
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Once you have given the chassis a good old Dinitroling, how do you clean off the mud that has stuck to the chassis once you've been out for a play?
Gave my chassis a coating a few months ago and after a trip through Welsh forests the chassis has mud stuck to the Dinitrol. Tried washing off but most of it still there. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #478335 2nd Dec 2015 2:37pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I just use a jet wash. Remember, it will never look as good and black and lovely as when its first done, until you recoat. As long as you are getting the clumps of mud off and out of the nooks and crannies, and of course washing off road salt etc, its fine. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #478347 2nd Dec 2015 3:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 24 of 84 <123 ... 232425 ... 828384>