↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > CDN 038's Niagara Grey 110 Td5... ongoing upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 13 123 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
CDN 038's Niagara Grey 110 Td5... ongoing upgrades
I'm a year into ownership now. Some things have gone as planned, and some weren't planned (like the broken fuel injector Big Cry ). One thing I learned from 12 years with my NAS90 was when the right deal comes along on a part, take it. If something needs fixing, fix it.

It's hard to say what my favourite mod is so far, I've had some good ones. Puma seats, heated windscreen, 2" OME lift, hannibal rack, Poly bushings. I think it's probably the Roamerdrive, it makes highway driving much more civilized, and you can do this.

Click image to enlarge

Very Happy

I started my next big undertaking last night.... Puma rear seats... I have studied this one for a while, and carefully planned my approach. Shipped these over from the UK last year with my Puma doors.

Click image to enlarge

Used, but in great condition. Mounting brackets were a little rusty, so I removed them and had them powder coated.

Simple plan of attack to get the job done. I brought in a Galvanised 110/Station Wagon Mid Crossmember for a tdci and a rear upstand from YRM. Also brought over several Rejel Landrover Dinitrol kits.

So...
- remove the rear seats
- pressurewash / steam clean the underside,
- remove the floor and upstand
- remove the old Mid Crossmember,
- clean up and treat the rust on exposed areas under the open floor and upstand
- install the crossmember, upstand, seats.
- then Dinitrol the whole thing ....

Sounds simple when you say it fast...It's going to be a big chunk of work but well worth the effort. The rear floor has been leaking like a sieve, corrosion around the seat mounts. I knew there was something up when I bought the truck and it looked like someone had put gaffers tape on the floor, covering something.

Glad to finally get this one on the go, I've been looking at those seats sitting in my garage for 6 months!

Last edited by CDN38 on 13th Oct 2015 2:52am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #462675 12th Oct 2015 7:01pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
How about pics of the defender? Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #462727 12th Oct 2015 9:05pm
CDN38

Here's some photos of my truck as it sits today (tent and tire are off the roof though)

Here's a link to an article that was written by a local writer on my truck. There's some really good photos of my trip to Utah earlier this year.

http://www.autos.ca/motoring-memories/fina...110/?all=1

110's are pretty rare here, as there was only 25 sold into Canada in '93. Any others have been imported individually.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #462773 13th Oct 2015 2:15am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Love it, great last pic Thumbs Up Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #462815 13th Oct 2015 9:03am
jk84

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Lovely defender! And great article with superb pictures Thumbs Up I've read the other one recently too, how to prevent your kids from becoming zombies - buy a Defender Mr. Green MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
MY16 Santorini 90 HT - sold
Post #462817 13th Oct 2015 9:09am
Enid_Puceflange

Scotland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Baltic Blue
Good write up Cool My confidence has been writing cheques that my abilities can't cash for years.
Post #462838 13th Oct 2015 10:13am
CDN38

Spent some time last night removing the rear seats. Funny, you start to pull something apart, you know there is corrosion there, but once you see it "HOLY CRAP!" Yup, it's corroded.

From the outside, underneath the upstand didn't look too bad. (glad to be replacing the rusty crusty crossmember with a galvanized one, that's for sure Smile )

Click image to enlarge

But once the seat was out and I could see underneath the brackets...

Click image to enlarge

HOLY CRAP!

One of the things I am doing with the replacement upstand and associated parts is going to be keeping as thick a barrier as possible between dis-similar metals. That being said, I'm picking the upstand, and aluminum under floor support up from the powder coaters today. I figure powder coat should provide a thicker more durable barrier than paint. That, and a whack load of anti-corrosion paste should give this renovation a fighting chance!
Post #462990 13th Oct 2015 6:56pm
I.AM_a driver

Scotland 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
I bet it cut down on shipping costs being that close to the Roamerdrive factory Very Happy Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
www.facebook.com/convoy4heroes
www.lothian4x4response.org
------
Td5 90
Thread in 'My Defender' Forum
Post #463084 13th Oct 2015 10:22pm
CDN38

Yeah, I was pretty lucky there they are a 10 minute drive from my house. Met with Ray and he took me through is shop and showed me how they are put together. Great guy, very passionate about his work...

However, I would easily trade having to ship the Roamerdrive here from the UK, and have all the spares for my Defender manufactured and locally available!! Laughing
Post #463099 14th Oct 2015 12:18am
I.AM_a driver

Scotland 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
My uncle once 'imported' a bull bar (for his Isuzu Trooper) by carrying it to the airport and getting it checked in as a second piece of luggage!?

He's in your neck of the woods, he stays in West Van and is Dean of Forestry at UBC Cool The next time I'm over we must meet up, don't hold your breath though its been ten years! I might have to get myself a roamerdrive delivered to his house then bring it back after the required time to avoid the import duty Rolling Eyes Mark S
CONVOY for HEROES
www.facebook.com/convoy4heroes
www.lothian4x4response.org
------
Td5 90
Thread in 'My Defender' Forum
Post #463194 14th Oct 2015 11:34am
CDN38

Spent some quality time last night with my truck, a hoist and a diesel powered pressure wash / steam cleaner. Surprisingly the task was not as messy as I had anticipated, and the result was impressive.

Leading up to this over the past summer I attacked the easy to get to areas with my small pressure washer (the truck on the ground) and flushed the inside of the frame rails. Most of the areas that usually are packed with mud have been cleared. Once in the air, it was easy to see there was lots of grease and road grime to get rid of on the underside. Accessing all those hidden areas was much easier with it up,flushed the frame rails again and went over everything using a good de-greasing solution, lots of hot water and it came out amazingly clean.

It's going to have a few weeks to dry out while the upstand and rear floor is removed. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #463603 15th Oct 2015 7:04pm
charliebaja

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
I am guessing you just used a steam cleaner there to remove all the gubbins from the chassis?
Post #463658 15th Oct 2015 9:20pm
CDN38

It's a hot water, pressure washer. It has a diesel powered burner and adjustable heat setting to about 190F. Used it in combination with Castrol Superclean degreaser.. Paid close attention to all the hiding spots in the outriggers, cross members etc.
Post #463701 16th Oct 2015 4:41am
CDN38

Managed to get some time to work on my project last night. Moved the second row floor, and to my surprise only had to cut 3 bolds out. All the others were pretty stiff, but came out with some effort. After being all steam cleaned, I'm not wanting to spray things down with penetrating oil. The stubborn bolts were right where the seat brackets had the worst corrosion.

Frame is rusty as expected, but a little work with a wire cup, and it should come out fine. Next step is going to be cutting away the rear up-stand, and removing the crossmember... probably the crustiest part of the underside.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I spent a good chunk of the week doing a Dinitrol treatment on a different Td5 110, originally from Spain. The underside was IMACULATE... no rust. Finished it last night, and it came out fantastic. It was my first experience with Dinitrol, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Then going back to mine with all the rust is a really good education on exactly where things need the most preventative care. Fitting Gwyn Lewis front mud shields, and rear removable mud flaps on these trucks is a big step in preventing a lot of issues on the outriggers, and rear crossmember.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'm looking forward to being able to have the underside of mine treated and protected as well as this one!
Post #466518 25th Oct 2015 8:09pm
CDN38

Had some more time available today, so I was back at it. This is a renovation, and you know what happens during a renovation.... "while we are here, we may as well..." Laughing who am I trying to kid? I knew this was going to happen, why not remove the seat belt bars out of the back for the inward seats, there must be some corrosion under there, right? Well, ya, there was, but not too bad.

Click image to enlarge

Even though I removed the inward facing seats, the bars are still in use for strapping down gear etc. I'm think I'm going to modify them, remove the middle bracket (for gear, it's strong enough without it, and are some attachment points for strap hooks. There's going to be a good lick of anti corrosion paste when they go back down.

Click image to enlarge

And while we are at it, I wonder what is going on behind the dog legs? I have seen some rust at the bottom of my door seals, prrrrrobably a good time to check on it. Removing the sills, pretty much every single bolt snapped (not really too surprised) My sills are chequer plated, which I don't mind, but it's going to need to be re powder coated, or replaced with rock sliders. Have to see how the budget fairs as things move along. As suspected there is rust progressing up the legs, paint is peeling off, I think it looks worse than it is. After cleaning off the dirt, it looks like they are still solid. Thumbs Up Glad to be able to deal with this rust now, when it's manageable. I'll probably spend a good chunk of time working these over so I won't be doing it again. There is corrosion on the aluminum panels I removed. They are fairly inexpensive, so I think I'll get a new pair, powder coat them and then paint over top, they will never corrode again. Mr. Green

Almost time to cut out the upstand. Hopefully I'll get a chance to get back on it before too long.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by CDN38 on 2nd Dec 2015 2:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #466921 27th Oct 2015 8:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 13 123 ... 111213>