↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > CDN 038's Niagara Grey 110 Td5... ongoing upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 13 <123 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
It's been a while since I have had any time to work on my truck. After a couple weeks in the UK, factory tour, catching up on work once I got home (and catching up on sleep)!

Today, a long search and wait came to an end. I have been looking for an original NAS 110 rear bumper for months. There was only a few more than 550 of these original style bumpers made, and after months of searching, I finally managed to get my hands on one. It was originally on a truck in California, then taken off after an accident. It's going to take some work to repair, (probably replacing one section of tubing) , but VERY worth it. These are very solid, and bolt directly to the frame and cross member. (the tabs on the left are for the original ladder to mount. I'll be removing these and adding sleeves on either side for jacking points).

The bumper is going off for blasting tomorrow, as all the original NAS bumpers are galvanized under the coating, have to get the zinc off before the repair work start. Right hand tube is bashed in, but fixable. Then re-galvanize and powder coat.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #478064 1st Dec 2015 7:32pm
L110CDL

England 
great thread, and the pics, keep the updates coming, will look forward to the next one, great first pics of your 110 Thumbs Up
Post #478123 1st Dec 2015 9:30pm
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
CDN38 wrote:
Spent some time last night removing the rear seats. Funny, you start to pull something apart, you know there is corrosion there, but once you see it "HOLY CRAP!" Yup, it's corroded.

From the outside, underneath the upstand didn't look too bad. (glad to be replacing the rusty crusty crossmember with a galvanized one, that's for sure Smile )

Click image to enlarge

But once the seat was out and I could see underneath the brackets...

Click image to enlarge

HOLY CRAP!

One of the things I am doing with the replacement upstand and associated parts is going to be keeping as thick a barrier as possible between dis-similar metals. That being said, I'm picking the upstand, and aluminum under floor support up from the powder coaters today. I figure powder coat should provide a thicker more durable barrier than paint. That, and a whack load of anti-corrosion paste should give this renovation a fighting chance!

These pictures look familiar. It is amazing how much corrosion you find once you start digging!!! I have just done this job on mine.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic20716-90.html

Good luck with it all. It will be worth it Thumbs Up 2002 110 td5
Post #478143 1st Dec 2015 9:56pm
CDN38

Jimb1978... you've a convinced me. I just have to galvanize my B pillars...I took my doors off last night, and sitting looking at the truck, I'm thinking that it's not much further to do that, I just need to weld in the C pilar patches in the correct position first, then why not pull out the whole thing and galvanize it? I think that possibly I am a little to anxious (or my wife would say I'm just far to OCD), so I decide to go home, sleep on it and see what I think in the morning. I go to update my thread, and there's a link to Jimb's beautifully galvanized B pillars... ummm, OK, may mind is made up.

Click image to enlarge

Looks like I have a bit of rust on the bulkhead under the door seal though. Going to have to do a little research on how to deal with this one, lucky, as it could be a lot worse. Oddly the other side was perfect, as someone had smeared silicone on the pinch weld under the seal, it preserved everything perfectly. I'll just need to get some silicone remover to take it off, but... interesting how well it preserved everything under the seal. Thumbs Up Other side, not so good.

Click image to enlarge

With the hinge bolts off, I can now look inside the bulkhead, and it looks as though a previous owner had used some cavity wax on it, don't see any corrosion inside so far.
Post #478358 2nd Dec 2015 4:05pm
Jimb1978

Glad you liked them. Beware though. Make sure you have the right sized taps for the captive seat belt nuts. I found that bit really nerve racking. I was really paranoid about not finding the original thread and tapping away all the steel and leaving soft zinc there instead! 2002 110 td5
Post #478390 2nd Dec 2015 5:52pm
CDN38

Made lots of progress today. I had a good laugh to start it off, as my friends decided I could use an extra hand with the project. I walked in to this! Shocked

Click image to enlarge

I got on with things, (still laughing about the hand) removed the seats, interior trim & front of the headliner. (it was nice to work on the interior rust free bolts) Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

I think I'll be a good candidate for a new left hand side panel on my seatbox. Looks like there's still more YRM to go, probably the galv. Sill Rail to Mid Crossmember Bracket and the Sill Rail Stainless Steel Fixing Kit (since I bent the crap out of one of the stud plates anyhow) Embarassed

Click image to enlarge

Then it was back to the rusty stuff, all the sill bolds and everything holding the side frames on, drilled the remaining rivets. Fought with both sides for well over an hour, trying to figure how to get these off without destroying them! (Reminded me of one of those puzzles you get with 2 nails twisted together. You try for hours to get them apart, then all of a sudden, just as you are giving up, everything just comes apart). Well, this is just like that, but without the coming apart bit. Rolling Eyes

I figure the best way is to pull out on the front, then drop it down so the B pillar is clear of the roof, then slide if forward and clear of the rear bodywork.

Well, by then it was 11:30, and I figured I should call it a day and take a fresh start with a clear head in the morning.
(Dropped a message to JimB, he confirmed that's the way to do it, and it's a real tight one in the front)

Click image to enlarge
Post #479551 6th Dec 2015 9:46am
CDN38

Did I mention that my wife is now starting to think I have a strange sort of Landrover obsession...?
Post #479552 6th Dec 2015 9:47am
Jimb1978

Looks like a good days work. The two NAS 90s in the background look great!

It's good you have so much space to work. My garage is quite small so I had to make use of my second garage...the front room of the house. Actually thinking about it, my boys quite enjoyed watching Tv sat in the defenders seats!

Thumbs Up 2002 110 td5
Post #479554 6th Dec 2015 10:10am
Jimb1978

CDN38 wrote:
Did I mention that my wife is now starting to think I have a strange sort of Landrover obsession...?

You'll prove her point when you start using the dish washer as s convenient small parts washer. (It works a treat too!) 2002 110 td5
Post #479556 6th Dec 2015 10:13am
CDN38

I'm VERY lucky to have a good friend that has a shop with room for me to work in. I couldn't imagine what it must have been been like doing this in a small space.

Definitely can appreciate the kids watching TV in the truck seats though, mine like to sit in the Puma rear seat in the garage at home.If all goes well, they will be sitting in it in the back of the truck in a month or so.

I've got a huge pile of removed parts, and I still have to take off the front left wing to get the bulkhead for a toe box repair. I'm looking forward to the day when I actually put something ON the truck instead of taking everything off.
Post #479700 6th Dec 2015 6:39pm
CDN38

What a difference some sleep and a fresh perspective makes. I had been thinking about it all day, couldn't wait to get at it. Rolled in this evening, had both side frames off in 10 minutes. Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Started working on removing the left wing, I have a hole in the toe box that has been leaking, and now is the time to deal with it. Hopefully these side frames will fit in my wife's car, and I'll take them to get blasted tomorrow.

Click image to enlarge

I'm starting to realize the pile of removed parts is getting, well, rather large.

Click image to enlarge
Post #479886 7th Dec 2015 9:47am
Venomator

United Kingdom 
^ ^ ^
Wowsas, what a detailed job you are ending up doing, but sure it'll be worth it in the end... Thumbs Up

You certainly have been lucky to have such an accommodating friend with such a generous space to spare... Bow down

One thing of slight concern though, with all those bits and pieces removed from each side, would it not have been an idea to remove the roof rack and its gubbings to avoid any risk of distortion in the roof panels from the heavy weight on top... Whistle

Hope everything goes well on the rebuild and you have it back on the road in no time... Mr. Green
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #479891 7th Dec 2015 9:59am
CDN38

I had considered the rack could be an issue. However with the Hannibal, there's a bar that runs the length of the gutter either side, so it's spreading the weight out evenly down the length of the roof and actually would help keep it rigid, like a splint. I just have a headliner up on the rack, so it's not much weight.
Post #479895 7th Dec 2015 10:05am
Venomator

United Kingdom 
^ ^ ^
Ah, good stuff, sounds like you have it covered... Thumbs Up

I was going by the earlier pics of the rack with your roof tent and all fitted, although I could just see the added roof lining too... Whistle

Hope you don't mind me sticking my schnoz in though... Mr. Green
 Rog... Mr. Green
The GREEN One...

MY2016 Urban Truck Build Thread - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40548....al[/color]
Post #479896 7th Dec 2015 10:20am
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Looking very invasive.....but looks like you know what you are doing.
I am very interested in your plan to install the puma second row seating. I'd like to do the same, but I am still lacking details on how to make it happen and look like a factory install. There is a you tube video of a guy who retrofitted those seats into a 90s era 110 and he used plywood spacers and some pretty rough drilling by trail and error rather than by measurements.
Did you get all the brackets and locking mechanisms with your seats as a complete kit? where did you get them from?

Patrick
Post #479915 7th Dec 2015 11:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 13 <123 ... 111213>