↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > CDN 038's Niagara Grey 110 Td5... ongoing upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 13 <123 4 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Hi Patrick,
I have seen that video. Absolute rubbish! The rear seats need to be mounted to the frame of the vehicle, no exception. It's not safe. The Puma seats also sit taller than the standard Td5 bench, so lifting them puts the passengers up into the roof. Look at his position when he gets into the seat, far too upright and he has to stoop to get in or out of the door.. How he mounted his seat is just un-safe. In an accident, the seat mounts could easily tear through the floor. Not to mention the weight of the seat and 3 occupants (could be as much as 700 lbs for 3 adults and the seat) is being carried by the thin aluminum floor.

Biggest issue with putting in the Puma rear seats is you need to change to a different anchor frame that is bolted to the top of the vehicle frame. There isn't enough access to this, and another point where the rear retaining frame of the seats is bolted down. The answer to gain access is removing and replacing the rear upstand. All the parts are available from YRM. As well, that front wheel well angle needs to be lowered which is a bit of a job.

Upstand
http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.co.uk/epage...ID=2622245

End caps
http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.co.uk/epage...s/108-0001

Underfloor support
http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.co.uk/epage.../117A-0001

Once you remove the floor and old upstand (which is probably corroded anyhow) you can replace the existing anchor with this:

Mid crossmember
http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.co.uk/epage...ducts/053B

Then you need 2 x AQR710290 which are the rear seat reinforcements that bolt to the frame as well.
http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/1414...upport_def

Next, you will need to cut away and lower the front of the wheel well sections, as the bottoms of the Puma seat are thicker, and sit lower. (I'll be doing that in a couple weeks, stay tuned).

The seats I picked up used and shipped over from the UK along with a set of Puma doors which will be going on soon. The seat (which should come with the rear floor mount) should run somewhere around £800-£1,000

I know it seems like a lot of work, but the other install option... lift the tub. Add to that, if you are in a Td5, there is probably a fair amount of corrosion on your upstand where the current rear seat bolts down, but it's hidden under the carpet. This option is safe and secure, and lets you repair some corrosion, all at the same time.
Post #480035 7th Dec 2015 7:20pm
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Super!
I'll be tuning in for your upcoming posts!
Patrick
Post #480047 7th Dec 2015 7:47pm
CDN38

So, I was thinking tonight would be the last of the strip down.... removed the remaining portion of the front wing.

Click image to enlarge

Then I found this !! Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

I had a funny feeling this was coming... so, I'm really NOT finished pulling stuff apart. Inside of the bulkhead the whole trim and insulation panel, probably pedal boxes .... add a toe box repair panel to my YRM list.

I have also decided not to repair my side frames... one of them is in OK shape, the other will need extensive rebuilding, lower B pillar will need to be replaced, and the sill has some pretty nasty rust. Looking at the cost of new side frames (under £200 each for Genuine) vs. the cost to buy the repair section, do all the welding (and keep it PERFECTLY straight so the panels align properly... I think it's best to go with the new). I'll have the e-coating stripped, then galvanize them. They would be better than rebuilt and galvanized.... seems a good value for the cost. Ordered them yesterday, they should be here by next Tuesday.
Post #480571 9th Dec 2015 10:47am
CDN38

Today was a turning point. I actually put something ON then truck. I had ordered a new ignition lock some time ago, and barrels for the new doors so I would have one common key. It's been sitting on my shelf for months, and I decided today was the day. Not a difficult job, other than dealing with the shear bolts that hold the bottom of the lock in place. Didn't take long to get them sorted, and it was done. I feel like it's a turning point, from here. it's more things to go on.

Click image to enlarge

After close inspection of the removed side frames, I decided it may be better to order new and galvanize, rather than to re-build the existing. Starting from new, you know it's going to be 100%. Plus having to re-build both B and C pillars, I know it could be a huge undertaking to get perfectly straight. There was quite a lot of corrosion on the sills and some of the joints had opened up quite a bit. For the cost, I think new was the way to go. They arrived today, crated up and in good condition.

Click image to enlarge

I'm going to take them to have the E coat stripped off tomorrow, and then galvanized. Just to be safe, I test fitted both, in and out like a breeze. Absolutely perfect fit, all the bolt holes lined up, fit to the rear body was bang on. Going new was definitely the way to go.

Click image to enlarge
Post #483010 17th Dec 2015 7:25am
L110CDL

England 
looking good, best part of the build now, is to put stuff on Thumbs Up
Post #483211 17th Dec 2015 10:27pm
CDN38

Just a little bit of progress today. My NAS rear bumper was ready at the metal strippers. They had to burn off the coating, and then blast off the galvanized coating so we can cut out the bent tube on the right, and weld in a new one.

Also going to remove the ladder tab on the left, and replace it with a jacking point on either side.

Click image to enlarge

Perfect fit to the frame for the bracing, but I'll need to do a bit of work on the cross member, only 2 bolt holes line up on the bottom, I'll have to drill and insert nuts for the other 2.

Click image to enlarge
Post #484706 23rd Dec 2015 3:52am
CDN38

It's taken until the 3rd day of the year to get anything done, but I have been busy packing up for a 1 week vacation in Mexico. Did manage to FINALLY cut away the upstand, remove the old seat crossmember, underfloor support and scale some of the rust away.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The new galvanized Puma crossmember fits perfect. I'm going to have it powder coated with some other bits while I'm away.

Click image to enlarge

LOTS to do when I get back, it's going to be full steam ahead! Before fitting any of the new parts, I think I will wire brush all the exposed rusty sections and give it a good coating of POR 15.

These should be arriving an about a week...

Click image to enlarge

Found them on eBay after a tip posted here on eBay & Bargain spots. Sold the tyres over there in the UK, which makes shipping the 5 rims over much less expensive. Never thought I would get to own an actual set of Matt Lee's Thumbs Up Once they get here, I'm going to have the grey coating burned off, sandblast them and powder coat them a nice satin black Very Happy
Post #488363 4th Jan 2016 2:10am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Make sure you fit the two mountings for the rear seat bracket while the upstanding is cut away so you can bolt or weld it on easily. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #488390 4th Jan 2016 10:16am
CDN38

I won't forget that one! It's kind of what started this whole adventure. I wanted new Puma rears, and the only way to really get back there for the supports was to do the upstand. Then once I noticed the corrosion in mine, it was obvious that it HAD to be done (justification for SWMBO...)

It's just kind of ballooned from there. While Im at it, may as well do this, and this and that and so on and so on....
Post #488488 4th Jan 2016 3:33pm
CDN38

On to the drivers side toe box... The rust on the toe box hadn't gone through the second later of steel, but why wait? It had rusted through the first layer, right at the point where the inner wing bracket was welded on. Years of leaves, pine needles and crud had piled up on top of the bracket, and started to eat away at the steel as shown in a photo a couple posts previous. Shocked

Drilled out the spot welds, cut out the mid and lower lower sections of the panel, ground away to clean steel.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Using a section of the YRM 004A repair panel, the piece was trimmed and test fitted, then tacked in place.

Click image to enlarge

Welded into position through the original spot weld holes.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Welded on the new footwell to innerwing bracket (YRM168), and 2 tabs on the inside to retain the insulation panel.

Click image to enlarge

A thorough coating of PPG DP90 2 Part Epoxy primer went on all the exposed bare metal. Going to seal up all the seams this weekend... PROGRESS Thumbs Up
Post #492659 15th Jan 2016 5:18pm
CDN38

Put in a couple full days over the weekend. Used a heat gun and scraper to remove all the remnants of old undercoating from the frame. It was a challenge as the material was a hard tar like substance, and coverage was spotty. Once a little heat was applied, it peeled of. Need to have a 100% clean surface for POR 15 paint and Dinitrol. Went over the entire frame with POR 15 cleaner degreaser and a scothchbrite pad, then full treatment of POR metal prep.

Click image to enlarge

Replacing a tube on the NAS res bumper has thrown a curve ball at me. 45mm tubing isn't availabe here, and 1.75" is just little too small. So, went with a thicker walled pipe with a larger O/D and same I/D and had it machined down to 45mm. Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Once that is all welded in place and completed, 2 tabs with hi lift jack points will be welded in, then it's off for galvanizing.
Post #493745 18th Jan 2016 6:26pm
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Keep up the good work Thumbs Up

You Americans and your imperial sizes Rolling Eyes 2002 110 td5
Post #493808 18th Jan 2016 8:05pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
^^^ Shocked don't know if that last comment will go down too well with the OP Rolling with laughter
Post #493809 18th Jan 2016 8:09pm
CDN38

The Yanks (Americans) are on imperial. Us Canadians have been metric since the mid 70's. But with our biggest trading partner being the US, most of the materials we have available are still in imperial.

Go to the lumber yard, and we are still buying a 2x4, and a sheet of photocopy paper is still 8.5" x 11" not A4... go figure. But everything in the grocery store is sold by the kg. or litre. Temperature is in C, distance in KM. Yeah, it's messed up.
Post #493811 18th Jan 2016 8:19pm
Jimb1978

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Embarassed just spotted the location and flag in your profile Embarassed 2002 110 td5
Post #493825 18th Jan 2016 8:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 13 <123 4 ... 111213>