Home > My Defender > CDN 038's Niagara Grey 110 Td5... ongoing upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 13 <123 45 ... 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
mcma1

Post #493829 18th Jan 2016 8:46pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Bumper is pretty much done. Going to consider carefully what I want to put on for the jacking adaptation. I may go a level l platform on the underside with a return to hold the flat ledge of a hi-lift... it's going to take some thinking...

Click image to enlarge

Came out looking great. Once it's galvanized and powder coated, it will never look like it was crushed.

Click image to enlarge
Post #493939 19th Jan 2016 1:39am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Thumbs Up excellent work Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #493994 19th Jan 2016 11:02am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
Excellent work and lovely 110!

Do sometimes need a North American to British translator for this thread though! Upstands, frames, toeboxes etc!

Keep up the good work Thumbs Up Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #494001 19th Jan 2016 11:18am
CDN38

Yes David, it can get to be a bit of a challenge sometimes. "Upstand" is actually YRM's nomenclature, but there are a number of terms that can make you go "hmmm....".

One of the challenges I'm faced with on a regular basis is materials and products. For instance "anti corrosion paste" took days to find, I asked for some at the local parts store and the chap at the counter looked at me like I had 2 heads. A day of research led me to Duralac, which is non existent over here, found a distributor on the other side of the country who is a retired Brit, takes weeks to get a can. Same for "T wash" no such thing, so that was a week long study on chemical engineering and metallurgy to find a similar product.

It's all part of the hurdles faced with the work I am doing on my truck. I suppose it would be similar if someone over there was trying to do a restoration on a Camaro.
Post #494112 19th Jan 2016 5:55pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Whats a Camaro? Is it like a Capri? Wink
Post #494115 19th Jan 2016 6:15pm
CDN38

The last couple days have been spent flat on my back under the frame applying POR 15. Painfully slow to clean, prep and apply, but well worth it in the long run I think.

Side frames are FINALLY ready at the strippers, I'll pick them up tomorrow and take them for galvanizing along with a a small collection of other parts and the rear bumper.

I had picked up most of the parts for slightly used Evolution suspension kit from a local chap a little while ago. He had the kit on his 90 for only a year, but then decided to go a little further with his suspension upgrade. (so I got the cranked trailing arms, front shock towers, rear shock mounts and all the dislocation cones, great price, and couldn't say no) but the kit was missing some bump stops, and extended brake lines, and I still need the correct rear dislocation cones, as the ones with the kit were for the smaller 90 springs. Some of the parts I needed came in today. The kit lowers the shocks to give the suspension an additional 2" of downward travel. Fits with my OME 2" lifted springs and shocks I added last year, and will not change to the road manners or height.

Click image to enlarge
Post #494329 20th Jan 2016 10:06am
CDN38

Lots more time spent on the POR 15 application to the frame. Clean and de-grease, rinse, compress air dry, metal prep, rinse, dry, meticulously paint all the nooks and crannies. Mid crossmember forward to the very front is now complete. I think it will work best to remove the fuel tank and do a full job on the back end.

Did get some time on some fun stuff today though. Managed to get the new Puma seat brackets fitted, trimmed out the front of a couple floor support sections to enable the brackets to fit. Unbolted 2 tub mounts and lifited the tub about 1/2" with a pry bar and the bracket slid in nicely.

Click image to enlarge

I'll do the exact positioning tomorrow, mark everything out for drilling the mounting bolts. Once drilled, I can finish the POR 15 on the top of the mid crossmember
Post #495712 24th Jan 2016 6:01am
CDN38

Test fitted the underfloor support and ran into an interesting situation. The support is notched to clear the floor support top hats, but not to clear the Puma seat brackets. Shocked (I suppose the Puma's aren't quite t at the stage where the upstands are rotting out yet, so no need for a Puma compatible part yet).

A little measuring and trimming and it now fits comfortably.

Click image to enlarge

Positioned it in along with the new galvanized rear cross member and upstand, and the goal is in site! Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Before drilling or attaching anything further, I want to get the side frames back and fitted to ensure everything else fis as it should. The seat brackets I can get set up and drill the holes for though. REALLY tight for space behind that rear cross member, it's going to be interesting!
Post #496054 25th Jan 2016 9:17am
CDN38

With the seat brackets sitting in the correct position, holes were drilled in the floor for mounting the retaining bracket, bolted together perfectly. Test fitted the seat crossmember, everything looks good so far. May drop the seats in just to do a double check that the retaining bracket lines up correctly to the seat.

Still thinking I'll wait until I have the side frames in before drilling and mounting the brackets to the main cross member. Then work will start on cutting and dropping the forward portions of the fender wells for clearance on the seat.

Click image to enlarge

The front half of the frame with the POR 15 looks amazing. So why go half way? I'm going to do the entire back section and body mounts... so for access, I may as well remove the fuel tank. I't ben 5 months since I have driven the truck, was that tank full?? Battery is out of the truck so I can't just check the gauge.... turns out it was half full... still heavy and a PIA!

Click image to enlarge

The inboard frame rails were pretty clean, but now I have full access to the rear crossmember, and inboard portion of all the body amounts and frame structure. It's going to be messy, but well worth it. There is a little bit of rust above the tank on the floor supports, this can be treated too. I have already sandblasted the tank retaining strap, and started cleaning up the fuel tank cradle (rusty, but still solid). Both will go for galvanizing.
Post #497082 27th Jan 2016 7:08pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
I love this build Thumbs Up keep the pics coming. Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #497092 27th Jan 2016 7:42pm
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Nice work indeed, enjoyed reading through.

Heres my solution to the rear seat cut-out,

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #497140 27th Jan 2016 9:15pm
L110CDL

England 
nice bit of work there db950 Thumbs Up

same thoughts as Ray Bow down

Clayton.
Post #497144 27th Jan 2016 9:32pm
CDN38

Nice clean work db950.. I think that s the direction I'm heading in. it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #497153 27th Jan 2016 9:54pm
db950

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Thanks guys, seemed the best/easiest option.
There was a lot of measuring and measuring and measuring before cutting and making the box!! Thumbs Up
Post #497158 27th Jan 2016 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 13 <123 45 ... 111213>