↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > CDN 038's Niagara Grey 110 Td5... ongoing upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 11 of 13 <123 ... 10 111213>
Print this entire topic · 
Christian1402

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Indus Silver
Amazing progress, makes for a good read.

How much are we talking for one of those speaker panels?

Thanks,
Christian
Post #570664 13th Oct 2016 5:43pm
CDN38

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
I have been working on figuring out a cost for the UK.

I need to have 4 people purchase in order to make this work. My plan is to ship 4 (or more) panels at one time to the UK through MD Couriers (Big Dave). Shipping 4 or more at one time saves a lot on the overseas shipping. Once they arrive to him, he will ship each of the 4 panels to the purchasers individually.

The price is £375 which includes all shipping, to your door, taxes and any applicable duties.

The panels are hand made and upholstered, fitting is not complicated, and requires a few simple tools. Included is a very comprehensive set of instructions, and all mounting hardware.

Currently, the panel fits Td5 and previous. models The Puma side panel trim is slightly different where they meet the quarter light trim, and I am working on a version that fits with it. Biggest issue is there are only 3 Pumas I know of within 1000 miles of here, hoping to get access to one of them in the next week or two to test fit and confirm that version is ready to go.

If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me . it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40792.html
Post #570770 14th Oct 2016 7:20am
Pablo90

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rioja Red
VeeTee wrote:
CDN38 wrote:
I also have a pressing urge to put some nice LED's on the back end, (I think coloured would look best on the dark grey). Any reccomendations to who's kit is best to go with?

I have the full RDX set, side lights and clear indicators on the front, red stop/tail lights, and orange indicators at the rear.
Very pleased with these, easy to install, just plug and play, nice light output but still classic appearance. Thumbs Up

I originally went for these, and they've been great. However, for much the same price you can get the WIPAC version, which I feel are better.

The RDX indicators lasted only 3 years before the light became too white vs yellow, so failed an MoT here in the UK. However, as my plan was always to buy the cheaper set initially and then upgrade piece by piece as necessary, this was no deal breaker.

Yours will look good with the newer shape round fog and reverse lights. I had mine fitted when I had my 90 in for a respray and some body work. They make it harder to 'age' a vehicle. Ruby: 1999 Td5 hard-top 90, enhanced for day-to-day driving and (hopefully) non-damaging off-roading and laning.

Huey: 2010 SD4 Freelander 2 GS, standard except for uprated bulbs!
Post #571964 19th Oct 2016 2:01am
CDN38

After about 10 months of worry free driving (other than doing the clutch to stop the annoying pilot bearing squeal), wear and tear reared it's ugly head.

I was pretty sure there was a "click click click" coming from the front end, so I put it up on the hoist for a look, and out of the left swivel, it starts to leak WATER!!!

Click image to enlarge

Yup, seals on both sides are done, left swivel has some corrosion and scoring, may as well replace both. A little worried to peel it all apart as I know water isn't a recommended lubricant! Big Cry

We have had a fair amount for wet snow over the last week, really wet heavy slushy stuff, and add a couple hundred kilometre drive through it for a ski trip.. I can figure exactly what's going on.

Happy New Year $$$$ it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #592907 13th Jan 2017 8:04pm
CDN38

Swivel rebuild and new CV's later..... I finally got onto one of the small details, rid myself of the "ghetto" lugs in favour of a nice genuine set. Looks so much more civilized...

Click image to enlarge
 it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #598334 1st Feb 2017 7:04pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Looks much neater Thumbs Up was there any problem with the swivels? It seems a short time for there to be a problem, did you end up replacing them or just the seals? Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #598337 1st Feb 2017 7:17pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Did you paint those wheel bolts? (right picture)

Re the rims: You've got good taste, sir... Wink Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #598340 1st Feb 2017 7:24pm
CDN38

I have known I was going to be in for an issue with the swivels for some time (or at least one of them) .Last year when I did the doors and Puma seats, I saw the left seal was weeping, but... chose to turn a blind eye, dumping all me resources into the bigger task at hand. Banging Head

I think the leak progressed, probably lost lots of grease, and then water ingress after driving several hours in very wet heavy slush... well, you don't ever want to replace lubricant with water. The left swivel housing had some corrosion/ scoring, and the CV was toast. Wanted to do an upgrade on the front axles and CV's but.. a couple weeks after Christmas, the cupboard is bare. So it was a Britpart Swivel re-build kit for me!, At least it's got the Timkin bearings, and the swivel housings looked to be pretty good. Interesting to see how long it lasts. Did both left & right sides.

The wheel nuts are the genuine ones, right out of the bag... I'm sure in a short time they will be rusty brown.

Thanks on the rims, I love these things!! Balanced just fine with balancing beads. I think I have only seen 1 other set over here of the real Matt Lee's. Glad I was able to find a set over there last year and get them shipped over (Thanks Big Dave!) Thumbs Up it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #598454 1st Feb 2017 11:13pm
Lancerdoc999

United Kingdom 
CDN38 wrote:
It's taken until the 3rd day of the year to get anything done, but I have been busy packing up for a 1 week vacation in Mexico. Did manage to FINALLY cut away the upstand, remove the old seat crossmember, underfloor support and scale some of the rust away.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The new galvanized Puma crossmember fits perfect. I'm going to have it powder coated with some other bits while I'm away.

Click image to enlarge

LOTS to do when I get back, it's going to be full steam ahead! Before fitting any of the new parts, I think I will wire brush all the exposed rusty sections and give it a good coating of POR 15.

These should be arriving an about a week...

Click image to enlarge

Found them on eBay after a tip posted here on eBay & Bargain spots. Sold the tyres over there in the UK, which makes shipping the 5 rims over much less expensive. Never thought I would get to own an actual set of Matt Lee's Thumbs Up Once they get here, I'm going to have the grey coating burned off, sandblast them and powder coat them a nice satin black Very Happy

CDN, when you cut the front of the tub floor away the top hat ends are chopped off as well. Does this cause any issues and where does the new support attach? I think I might have asked before but wouldn't it be easier to remove the rear tub floor panel for better access and treatment of the undertub area. Loads of rivets to drill out or grind down but then your in without anything in the which will make fitting the chassis brackets easier.
Post #609269 14th Mar 2017 1:00am
CDN38

The YRM underfloor support fits in perfectly under the cut floor and top hat braces. With the rear body mounts unbolted, it was easy to lift the rear tub enough to get the chassis brackets in.

I did consider going in through the tub floor early in the planning stage, but the upstand was pretty corroded, so I knew I had to go through that way. Researching the YRM site, it seemed to be the best way to go. Having the fuel tank an exhaust out, it made it easy to clean up the underside and Dinitrol.

my renovation thread:
Post #609282 14th Mar 2017 5:59am
CDN38

Fitted the center box removal pipe today. With just the stock small can at the tailpipe, it has a great sound. Feels like there's better power on the highway in around the 2000 to 3000 RPM range.... or maybe it's just me??

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

my renovation thread:
Post #656821 12th Oct 2017 4:20pm
L110CDL

England 
It does sound better without the centre silencer, it's just not you that thinks that Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #656896 12th Oct 2017 8:17pm
Coatesyyy

United Kingdom 
Just read this thread from start to finish! Wow! Put a lot of hard work into your truck! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #657067 13th Oct 2017 1:56pm
CDN38

Thanks Coatesyyy. I'm pretty sure it will never be done.... always something to work on. I was hoping to get some soundproofing on the interior over the summer, but I think that's going to have to wait till next summer. Then there's the next big teardown, roof and side panels off, galvanize the capping, paint and re-assembly.

What's now getting in my way is renovating a house! Big Cry it's a Landrover thing...

my renovation thread:
Post #657087 13th Oct 2017 3:20pm
Coatesyyy

United Kingdom 
I know its a lot of hard work, but the feeling you get when its all done! Especially if it all goes back together correctly Whistle Laughing
Post #657104 13th Oct 2017 5:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 11 of 13 <123 ... 10 111213>