↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > LOF POWERspring pedal assist
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 14 <123 ... 567 ... 121314>
Print this entire topic · 
Truckman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
Sorry your having a job at fitting it I’ll list what I did below hope it will help.
1. I took out all the carpet & rubber mats.
2. In the engine bay on the clutch box I slackened the stop so the clutch pedal would go all the way down to floor
3. I cut a length of wood to hold the pedal down to the floor
4 fitted the spring to the clutch pedal
5. Then I removed the tab on top of the clutch pedal so you can see the holes to put the spring end into.
6. I put one end through the hole then with some mullgrips I held that one in place so it couldn’t pop out.
7. With some long nose pillers I put the other end through
8. I then removed the mullgrips
9 tightened the stop up on the clutch box in the engine bay to make sure there was some clearance between the clutch pedal & floor. .
10. Check it all worked ok job done.
Hope this helps.
I think on LOF website their are some detailed instructions
Post #765165 24th Mar 2019 3:49pm
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
Welcome Truckman, interested in what age / model you’ve noticed such an improvement in...
Also, your LOF clutch - who / where was that fitted and how much for fitting if you don’t me asking?
I have the rattle and will take the plunge at some point, and will likely get the output shaft I’ve read so much about looked at / changed,
Cheers Matt
Post #765173 24th Mar 2019 4:40pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Hi LUKE-FITZSIMONS welcome to the forum.

Quick question in your estimation is this spring noticeably lighter than the latter type spring that can be fitted to earlier defenders 200 and 300TDi. I replaced the spring from the original to the latter type and I noticed quite a difference. So would this spring also make a difference in force to that later spring? For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #765178 24th Mar 2019 4:57pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
I currently have a 2.4tdci and two 300tdis, all three with standard springs fitted.

Of the 300tdis, one has always had a heavier clutch pedal which is on par with the tdci, The other 300tdi is much lighter, which must be down to the brand of clutch I fitted to each of them.

I fitted LOF spring to the heavier 300tdi and definatly made an improvement, it is noticeably lighter but still not as light as other 300tdi.

I fitted spring first time in a couple of minutes. Didn’t need to remove tag from pedal either, but had to bend in the bush locating tags slightly each side once spring fitted.
Post #765259 25th Mar 2019 1:52am
Truckman

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
Hi Landymatt I’ll send you a pm
Post #765374 25th Mar 2019 9:22pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
ARC99 wrote:
Got mine fitted and took it for s ride to the local Hospital , pushed the clutch down and PING I know it flew over my shoulder so I'll have go and have a look for it. Big Cry

Well after 4 days of searching I found the errant spring, It had managed to fasten its self to the load/dog guard.

I inspected of the ends of the spring as on my previous attempts I found the nearside end hard to get into the plastic bush. I found that when the end has been cut it had left a deformed edge about 1/16" long a quick rub down with a file sorted that and when offered up to the bush slipped straight in.

Someone, apologise for not remembering the name, asked about the tie wraps. The ones that I used were 3/8" deep by 3/32 thick, sorry my micrometre is imperial, they stated on but I had a bit of a job cutting them. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #765382 25th Mar 2019 9:39pm
xtreme2252

Australia 
Clutch spring
Thanks Luke for changing delivery price in your website
Spring ordered and on it way
Post #765415 26th Mar 2019 8:26am
Stripygitface

Fitted my one of these springs on Sunday, i think it makes quite a difference to the pressure needed on the pedal.

I used stainless steel cable ties to hold the spring compressed, which held it without any problems of slipping.

However, i fitted the right lug easily, but then struggled for over an hour to get the left side in, and gave up.Then resigned my self to being beaten, but then notice that the left lug looks slightly longer than the right one so took the spring out, started again fitted the left lug first then persuaded the right one into place which was a lot easier, took no more than 15 minutes to fit the 2nd time.

However, i did not change the original plastic bushes which the spring lugs go into, and now have a squeak every time i push the clutch down. I have tried spray grease, and GT85 to stop it, but it looks like i will have to take the spring out again to sort it out!
Post #765438 26th Mar 2019 11:48am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
My experience of fitting the LOF spring almost mirrors that of Stripygitface. Confused

Although it is a relatively easy task per se, I certainly wouldn't consider it a 'quick job.'

Clearly there are differing experiences, and I'm envious of those who fitted theirs without hitch in a short time.

I did fit the supplied bushes, and I too have a squeak! I've coated the spring/bushes/recesses in silicon grease - so let's see how it goes.

So, has it made a difference? Absolutely! It is disconcertingly light! Now akin to one of our small euroboxes. Thumbs Up

Was it worth it? Yes - even considering the frustration and cursing.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on whether it is light enough for SWMBO to drive it as I have deliberately avoided telling her I have changed said spring! Rolling with laughter
Post #765515 26th Mar 2019 5:53pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Quote:
I have deliberately avoided telling her I have changed said spring

A good start Laughing However you can now with a voice full of surprise and shock inform the missis that you have noticed something odd with the clutch pedal and it is going to cost x amount to fix Shocked Then when permission is granted to fix the problem use the money to buy something tasty for the Defender.

Knowledge of such underhanded techniques has been honed over many years of a happy marriage. Rolling with laughter For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #765529 26th Mar 2019 7:02pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Very, very sound advice Gilarion Thumbs Up

The only real remedy for the clutch issue you describe is a remap. Fact. Whistle

Still liking the 'new' clutch, albeit it's still taking some getting used to. Thank you LOF! Thumbs Up
Post #765600 27th Mar 2019 8:31am
Mies

Netherlands 
After all the previous posts I couldn’t resist timing the installation of the new spring: 21 minutes using the tie-rips as suggested on this forum.

On my 2008 2.4 110 sw it makes a noticable difference. Only problem is ‘muscle memory’. My leg keeps being surprised by the reduced effort resulting in bit of a rough ride. Am sure that will solve itself over time.

This forum is really a fantastic source of information and tips. Thanks to you all!
Post #765629 27th Mar 2019 12:02pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Mine has been on a week or so now, very happy, pedal pressure definitely reduced (2007 tdci). Does what it says, can't argue with that. Thumbs Up 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #765690 27th Mar 2019 6:06pm
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
I fitted my clutch spring today, used 2 cable ties on each side just to be sure. Was pretty easy to fit. Probably took me longer to find and cut a piece of wood to hold the clutch pedal down, find the cable ties and get the tools together to do the job than fit the spring. Job done in 15 minutes max. Thumbs Up

Clutch definitely feels a bit lighter, so a job worth doing on 2011 2.4. Thumbs Up
Post #765839 28th Mar 2019 8:04pm
Nutter

England 
Hi after hours of trying to fit my spring i loosened the 17 mm bolt on the back of the box allowing the pedal to go all the way back, this is only on a TD5 you can then fit the spring a lot better. Very pleased with the way the pedal feels. Very Happy
Post #766822 4th Apr 2019 12:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 14 <123 ... 567 ... 121314>