↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 58 of 351 <123 ... 575859 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
Mcfly1985

United States 
Take a closer look. Really zoom in and look at the contours, lines, headlights on this specific photo (not any of the test mule photos). Go back and look at the Lego leak. They are remarkably the same. I think LR has been very crafty here with all the publicized photo shoots to date, Tusk, Red Cross, even what they personally showed Prince Harry. When I zoom in on this photo, I don’t see headlamp covers (for example). I think LEGO is closer than what people believe (Technic have been incredibly detailed in other auto reproductions using bricks).
I by no means infer that you should not like what you see. Having followed several “new Defender” forums, I feel a lot of people ( again, not you personally) are simply upset with their perceived notion of what it will look like. It really comes down to looks, looks and looks for them. Given all the glossy evidence put out by LR to date, why wouldn’t they think it’s going to look pretty much like the camouflaged defenders running around? I have a suspicion this is not the case. I also feel a lot of people actually do not want the new Defender to look like the old, it almost seems like it worries them (resale value in their current lot?). We’ll see. But Lego, Infotainment, and this specific photo here are aligning.
Post #788290 22nd Aug 2019 6:56pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
blackrangie wrote:

Click image to enlarge

:

Old Vitara in a burqa?
Post #788291 22nd Aug 2019 7:02pm
Buzzsaw

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Arles Blue
Bluest wrote:
The trouble is that those calling for a basic utility version (me included) are in a vanishingly small minority. I just can't see it being worth LR's time selling something in that category, as much as I would love them too. Toyota launched their commercial Land Cruiser in the UK last year and I don't think I've seen a single one on the road. Be interesting to see the sales figures. The Japanese pick ups have already got the professional users for a much lower price and technically more basic vehicle than JLR would want to be associated with.

Where the new Defender might be of interest, but at a much higher price, is they might want a piece of the recreational 4x4 market in the US. That has really boomed with the Toyota TRD Pros, Wrangler Rubicon, Ford Raptor etc. Imagine a Defender SVR aimed to compete with those? Could be tremendously impressive.

I have a Land Cruiser commercial (awesome bit of kit by the way!), I believe there has been/is strong demand for the commercial version but supply is very poor from Toyota and the company in the UK that does the commercial conversion, 6+ month waiting list to order new.
Post #788295 22nd Aug 2019 7:32pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Mcfly1985 wrote:
Take a closer look. Really zoom in and look at the contours, lines, headlights on this specific photo (not any of the test mule photos). Go back and look at the Lego leak. They are remarkably the same. I think LR has been very crafty here with all the publicized photo shoots to date, Tusk, Red Cross, even what they personally showed Prince Harry. When I zoom in on this photo, I don’t see headlamp covers (for example). I think LEGO is closer than what people believe (Technic have been incredibly detailed in other auto reproductions using bricks).
I by no means infer that you should not like what you see. Having followed several “new Defender” forums, I feel a lot of people ( again, not you personally) are simply upset with their perceived notion of what it will look like. It really comes down to looks, looks and looks for them. Given all the glossy evidence put out by LR to date, why wouldn’t they think it’s going to look pretty much like the camouflaged defenders running around? I have a suspicion this is not the case. I also feel a lot of people actually do not want the new Defender to look like the old, it almost seems like it worries them (resale value in their current lot?). We’ll see. But Lego, Infotainment, and this specific photo here are aligning.

The Lego Defender is very very accurate as they scanned the new defender and then built the Lego one using it. I’d say it’s the best indication of what to expect
Post #788301 22nd Aug 2019 8:11pm
ak615

And with the price of the Lego technic sets about the same as the defender Whistle
Post #788307 22nd Aug 2019 8:22pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
AK

'And with the price of the Lego technic sets about the same as the defender'

At least you will be able to hand the Lego kit down through the family.

The new Defender will suffer the issues of the current range, depreciation, high service costs, local mechanics wont touch it as they cannot afford the software from LR, second hand dealers wont want it on their forecourts, second hand buyers wont want to pay the extra car tax for being over £40k at new (even though a £40k car driven off the forecourt for the first time is then worth £35k), dealers are also saying that they have to do the AdBlue top ups as too much Adblue added is as bad as running out.

Americans and Aussies want 33 inch tyres as standard and then upgrade to 35's. LR have said that they are looking to partner with another manufacturer to possibly produce pickup / utilties however Mercedes have tried this (X Class) by re badging a Nissan Narvarar - having only sold 1,600 odd world wide they are stopping production.

Jeep cant make enough Wranglers to meet demand, one of the reasons is the image, the multitude of third party suppliers offering upgrades and parts and YouTubers that influence other users and potential buyers to the brand.

How can Land Rover match that - some celebrity chief, a tired ex footballer and a Khan monstrosity.

It will look pretty when unveiled but base your expections on the current line up. Sell it before the warranty runs out, before the depreciation is greater that the costs of parts and repairs and if you are a second hand buyer in the future expect large repair costs or avoid. In my case i'll keep what i have......
Post #788329 22nd Aug 2019 10:00pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
I wonder if back in 1982/3 had there been a tinternet and a forum like this the chat might have something like.........and they are going to fit coil springs when leaf (cart springs) have worked for hundreds of years, who needs permanent four wheel drive in any case? Rolling with laughter

Life's too short to get steamed up over something we have not even seen yet. Ya pays your money and you take your choice that's how it has always been. None of us are forced to do anything we don't want to do. Thumbs Up 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #788331 22nd Aug 2019 10:20pm
Woody3

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Bronze Green
I'm not convinced that the front end is going to be as 'round' as the camouflaged vehicles make you want to believe.

I'm hoping they've taken a leaf out if Porsche's rather successful design book and made it more of an evolution and learnt from their failings of getting the Disco5's 'evolution' incredibly wrong.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the big reveal!
Post #788346 22nd Aug 2019 11:21pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
seriesonenut wrote:
I wonder if back in 1982/3 had there been a tinternet and a forum like this the chat might have something like.........and they are going to fit coil springs when leaf (cart springs) have worked for hundreds of years, who needs permanent four wheel drive in any case? Rolling with laughter

I am absolutely sure itmwould, and I remember similar criticisms every time a new engine etc was introduced. Diesel, it'll never catch on. Turbo? Ridiculous on a Landrover. Td5, it's electonic, you wait it'll never work! Transit engine, the brand is doomed. It's always been like this.

I am sure when full-time 4wd was first dropped, in 1948, in favour of part-time 4wd, that some would have said it was the beginning of the end!

The difference is that this time it really is the end! Rolling with laughter
Post #788349 22nd Aug 2019 11:59pm
blackrangie

Australia 
You do know that utility in the UK pretty much means poverty spec, poth prado and D5 are avail in utility or commercial in the UK. Prado (landcruiser) utility comes with very similar wheels to this.

Ute in Australia means pickup, this is not what im talking about.
Post #788350 23rd Aug 2019 12:02am
blackrangie

Australia 
Good comment Mcfly, you could be on the money
Post #788351 23rd Aug 2019 12:09am
Brucemknx

Australia 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Caledonian Blue
blackrangie wrote:
Bruce, this is just gold Laughing

Click image to enlarge

It’s been a while since I was last here. A lot of catching up. Has “sheeple” been used yet?🙄
Post #788352 23rd Aug 2019 2:12am
blackrangie

Australia 
Haha 🤣
Post #788353 23rd Aug 2019 3:07am
blackrangie

Australia 
More pics out of Dubai

I imagine we will see the usual dune videos from the locals pretty soon

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #788354 23rd Aug 2019 3:10am
Yulong

United Kingdom 
Buzzsaw wrote:
I have a Land Cruiser commercial (awesome bit of kit by the way!), I believe there has been/is strong demand for the commercial version but supply is very poor from Toyota and the company in the UK that does the commercial conversion, 6+ month waiting list to order new.

They're about to introduce the "Active" model with better spec. like alloys and reversing camera, auto gearbox option and the conversion done in-house rather than the outsourced company.

Hopefully that'll speed up deliveries; got this pegged as my backup if a utility 90 doesn't emerge!
Post #788368 23rd Aug 2019 10:10am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 58 of 351 <123 ... 575859 ... 349350351>