↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 258 of 351 <123 ... 257258259 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
J77 wrote:
Don’t read too much into eccos comments, English not being his first language his comments perhaps come across differently in the written word rather than spoken and not how he intends.

I did suspect this may be part of the issue. Rgds.

Chris
Post #849120 10th Aug 2020 5:50pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I suppose part of the problem is that the Defender went from a relatively low tech vehicle with very recognisable shape to a very complex vehicle that looks nothing like the old model. Perhaps if it had been done in stages people might have been more acclimatised to it. I personally do not like the shape of the new model but that is a personal thing also the technology just frazzles my mind. I do not doubt that it is a very capable vehicle and I enjoy Tim's running commentary on his early days of ownership.
I still cannot reconcile the problems people are elucidating here with the high price of the vehicle and the meagre three year warranty. The leaking windows and trim rattles are completely unacceptable as these have been items that manufacturers including JLR have been fitting to vehicles for years. (See my tongue in cheek post regarding this above).
Years ago we were told that Defenders leaked and rattled because they were by and large assembled by hand. That is no longer the case.
The warranty for these repairs is probably useless as the maindealer will have no idea how to fix them. Considering the amount of time the vehicle has been in development I think JLR's design time have gotten off to a bad start with the vehicle. If you were a prospective customer I am sure you would not mind if you were told there would be a six month delay in delivering your vehicle as they were fixing a few issues before delivery.
I would have absolutely no faith in maindealers I know getting to grips with the new Defender issues. Apart from the shape not being my cup of tea the price is way beyond me especially when you factor in the "delivery related charges" and the high cost of simple items like mudflaps.
Each to their own and if someone can afford one and wants to buy one that is their prerogative. I wish them many happy years of ownership. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #849128 10th Aug 2020 6:19pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
J77 wrote:
Don’t read too much into eccos comments, English not being his first language his comments perhaps come across differently in the written word rather than spoken and not how he intends.

Have you read many of his posts? I hope he does not view your seemingly consilatory post as condescending. If we are looking at the spelling, punctuation, grammar and syntax of many posters on here, I'd swear English couldn't even be their/there/they're 2nd language.
Post #849133 10th Aug 2020 6:33pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
spudfan wrote:
I suppose part of the problem is that the Defender went from a relatively low tech vehicle with very recognisable shape to a very complex vehicle that looks nothing like the old model....

I think it is more significant that the Defender metamorphosed from a relatively crude utility vehicle into a radically different and high-tech, stylised sports utility vehicle. There is literally nothing in common between the original vehicle's concept and the new vehicle's concept except that they are made by the same manufacturer, rightly or wrongly they share their model name and branding, and they are both vehicles with exceptional off-road capability.

They are however intended for different purposes and aimed at different markets, so it is hardly surprising that many of the people who revered the original defender are not enamoured of the new, and many of those at whom the new one is targeted have no regard for the old. There will be some who buy both, and there will some of those who bought the original Defender after LR had started the metamorphosis and had started targeting the SUV buyer rather than the traditional work truck buyer.

I've made no secret of the fact that I am disappointed that the old Defender died and the new one really isn't a replacement for the old one, it is a replacement for the classic Discovery (and I have no doubt that it is a very good replacement for the Discovery). If/when I decide to replace my Disco2 I will certainly be looking at the new Defender. If/when I replace my classic Defender, I will not be looking at the new Defender.

Continued comparison and criticism of either the old and new on the basis that they are equivalent vehicles is I suggest pointless, and unnecessary personal criticism of those who have the new or hate the new is both pointless, unnecessary, and generally offensive.
Post #849135 10th Aug 2020 6:36pm
Supacat

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I don’t think that it is ever called for to describe any car as “an atrocious pile of metal” - well maybe something like the Linley P38A or Kahn’s efforts might. Confections like the Linley and Purdey P38A’s definitely fall in Ecco’s category of ‘Mall Cruiser‘ - hugely expensive paint jobs and cabinet made interiors

And there in lies the issue ~ either it's an absolute rule or you have just appointed yourself as the design police. Everyone knows only Gerry can make rulings on such matters.

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Calling it that insults anyone who buys one and it puts off people who might be thinking of buying one which I hope nobody here would really want to do

So he plays the ball, rather than the man, and you can still call foul? It does sound a little woke and I'm sure his views were known to you before you bought yours and I'm guessing it never really figured in your buying decision?

If it does put any potential purchasers off, then in the scale of things it's not going to impact global sales but if it does then it may speed up new Defender MkII on an MLA platform and then we can all choose ICE or BEV and have continual arguments over which is better.

Who knows, if there are only 249 registered new Defender MKIs in the UK, it could do wonders to your residuals.

Every cloud and all that.

As to general negativity towards the new Defender, have a look at what has been said when discussing output shafts, axle welds, etc...
Post #849141 10th Aug 2020 6:47pm
J77

Scotland 
Supacat wrote:
J77 wrote:

Have you read many of his posts? I hope he does not view your seemingly consilatory post as condescending. If we are looking at the spelling, punctuation, grammar and syntax of many posters on here, I'd swear English couldn't even be their/there/they're 2nd language.

Yes I’ve read a lot of his posts and I’m not talking about spelling.

What I’m getting at is I don’t think he intends his posts to offend anybody.
Post #849148 10th Aug 2020 7:05pm
Supacat

Thumbs Up
Post #849152 10th Aug 2020 7:14pm
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Tim in Scotland wrote:
I don’t think that it is ever called for to describe any car as “an atrocious pile of metal” - well maybe something like the Linley P38A or Kahn’s efforts might. Confections like the Linley and Purdey P38A’s definitely fall in Ecco’s category of ‘Mall Cruiser‘ - hugely expensive paint jobs and cabinet made interiors

Calling it that insults anyone who buys one and it puts off people who might be thinking of buying one which I hope nobody here would really want to do

The people being most vocal about the shortcomings of the new car don’t appear to have made any effort to go and test drive one. Until they do they shouldn’t condemn it as a pile of scrap metal. They may hate it for what it tries to be but they should also go and try one before commenting on it, it doesn’t cost anything to have a test drive.

Thumbs Up
Post #849187 10th Aug 2020 9:19pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
zilch wrote:
Grenadier wrote:
As I mentioned previously, there are always exceptions and clearly our Aussie contingent have a healthy gang who like to take them into the wilderness, but that probably accounts for no more than a single percent of all global RRS sales. .

i think i have mentioned before Grenadier, i would assume it is very much territory dependent and the accessibility
of tracks/trails. do the dealers encourage owners of new vehicles to join local off road clubs etc. LR have been
reasonably active in supporting local owner clubs in NSW, especially around greater Sydney, which provides
opportunity for new and old owners the ability to learn and enjoy their Landies at their full potential
Whether a Disco, RRS or classic Defender when they were sold new. That encourages people to get out more
with a level of confidence on club trips, with the families and mates, whether short weekends or longer tours.

I cannot comment on dealers in the UK today, but between 1997-2005 when we had our D1 and D2's and lived
in sunny Bucks, i cannot remember once being asked by our dealer whether we had any interest in joining any
local LR or off road clubs. Different attitude and frame of mind no doubt

In regard to percentages, i do not doubt it is very low, but i would humbly suggest that owners of the late model
classics say 2014-16, how many of them are actually out in the wilds, more likely wrapped in cotton wool waiting
for the investment to continue to rise.

Your mate who sky dives in brogues Shocked , ex Guards by any chance ?? i was R Sigs for 9 years, so
no doubt would wear something more practical Laughing ..

My affinity with Land Rovers goes back 40 years when i passed my Army driving Test in an Airportable lightweight,
driven SWB and LWB utilities, FFR's, Snatch and mineproofs, owned a classic V8 RR, D1's, D2's, 2 RRS, i am maybe
misguided, but loyal to the LR brand from a perspective they have served me well both in the military and civilian
life, I do not see the new Defender being anyone different, its a continuing story.. with the odd blip of course Thumbs Up

I couldn’t agree more zilch. You highlight my point, in that era/region have a massive baring on the buyer demographic, but that it has been (in recent years) weighted to urban SUV owners and not heavy duty or even utilitarian owners. D1 and D2 certainly fell into the latter category. Even D3 and D4 for some. But they were entirely different beasts and the D5 even more so....in terms of comfort, spec, etc. And whilst you can always have a luxury spec of any model, i suppose it’s what the basic spec offers that determines what it is and who it can be aimed at, and recent years the basic spec of all LRs and RRs is not basic and perhaps not basic enough to be truly utilitarian or follow the ethos of the original LR and its first 50 years of history.

What is interesting in these posts we’ve been having, is whether Aussie will provide one of the stronger markets for the new Defender, certainly from a ‘usage’ point of view. If there has been a willingness to take later Discoverys and RRS on extended trips to the outback (I wonder if that is driven by comfort levels and better AC than the Defender could ever provide) then the new Defender could be a perfect replacement for many. I still think of it as a D6, but interestingly when looking at my previous comment, it has a correctly specified entry/utilitarian level that recent Discos (and RRSs) have lacked, which could make all the difference. So it will be interesting to see how many are bought.

As for my colleague, not ex Guards, but ‘serving’ Guards and I believe about to become the next Commanding Officer Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #849241 11th Aug 2020 7:48am
zilch

Australia 
Quote:
What is interesting in these posts we’ve been having, is whether Aussie will provide one of the stronger markets for the new Defender, certainly from a ‘usage’ point of view. If there has been a willingness to take later Discoverys and RRS on extended trips to the outback (I wonder if that is driven by comfort levels and better AC than the Defender could ever provide) then the new Defender could be a perfect replacement for many.

For the Defender to really make it in Oz, it will have to make some inroads into the Toyota and Nissan market share
That will take some time and will be strongly weighted towards its future reliability record..

edited to add: most of the future owners i have managed to correspond with via the book of faces all seem
to be setting them up for tours of Australia.. it shows the accessibility and mind set lends itself to not worrying to
much about your pristine vehicle, but more about getting out there and see what it can do, as you point out in your
notes

Quote:
As for my colleague, not ex Guards, but ‘serving’ Guards and I believe about to become the next Commanding Officer Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Assume his batman has to jump tandem and ensure his brogues are highly "bulled" on landing Laughing Thumbs Up yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #849245 11th Aug 2020 8:01am
Supacat

Zed wrote:
ken wrote:
J77 wrote:
The options ain’t great either, they are all in packs. I can’t have the meridian sound system without taking a host of stuff I don’t want and I can’t take the jump seat if I take the comfort pack to get the sound system. Heated steering wheel? Sorry you need to take the cold climate pack.

Packs are because of C02 stuff or every possibility would have to be documented for final C02 blame the ecomentalists not JLR

Whilst one can never underestimate JLR's incompetence it's extremely unlikely they are unable to calculate 'C02 stuff'. Far more likey they offer packs which ommit certain options in order to upsell.

Have a read of this ~ I'll admit I did but got to the end and had retained very little, so I'm going to have to go back and read it slowly:

https://www.jato.com/embracing-wltp-survive-or-thrive/

Click image to enlarge
Post #849362 11th Aug 2020 8:02pm
Tim in Scotland

As they are measuring the weight changes in grams then you could be penalised by a VED increase for changing from LR standard mud flaps to the much bigger Classic Mud Flaps or if you opt for a car with alloy wheels then change to the steel wheels, add a heavy winch or even stick an after market tow bar onto the car....... now if you swapped out your steel wheels for the lighter alloy ones would you get a reduction in VED Whistle Whistle i doubt it! Are MOT centres going to have to start weighing cars built to WLTP?

Oh man, my brain hurts after reading your link Supacat. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #849369 11th Aug 2020 8:24pm
Patriot0290

United States 
Do US Defenders (HSE) come standard with weather band radio, like old school Range Rovers did? 2020 Defender 110 P400 HSE (Tasman Blue/Khaki)

Previously:
1995 Discovery
1995 Range Rover County Classic
1998 Range Rover
2000 Discovery II
2004 Range Rover
2007 LR3
1995 Range Rover County LWB
Post #849373 11th Aug 2020 8:41pm
Tim in Scotland

Don’t you just go online on a connected device these days? I used to use NOAA / Boston Coastguard Radio weatherfax online when travelling the east coast and sailing in the Chesapeake Bay on a 45ft sailboat. Even offshore I could get pretty good 4G on an iPad. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #849374 11th Aug 2020 8:47pm
Telemarkskier

United Kingdom 
Ahh....4G: don't have that round here lucky to get 2G, however if I drive 700m away from the village I can get 3G. What chance of over the air updates unless I can connect the car to my home network?
Post #849524 12th Aug 2020 3:02pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 258 of 351 <123 ... 257258259 ... 349350351>