↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 253 of 351 <123 ... 252253254 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
zilch

Australia 
Tim in Scotland wrote:

Philm - is th eteering one for the over intrusive Lane Assist system because mine is switched off as much as I can go down

Tim were you able to set up a profile for your FE, someone on the book of faces has set this up
to disable all the annoying features when he gets in the car, so no more checklist before he sets
off ?? yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #848759 9th Aug 2020 8:16am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Couldn’t agree more Supacat. The problem is that the target market for the recent series of models produced by LR is geared heavily (and I’d suggest primarily) towards looks/image, and this is being pushed hard by McGovern. As such there seems to be an apathy towards, or even a willingness to accept, bad workmanship and constant breakdowns/recalls, as the look and image the car portrays is too important to the owner and there is no real substitute. A fully loaded RR or RRS is still considered by many to be a more niche, exclusive and premium vehicle than one of the equivalents made by Merc, Audi, BMW etc. I think they are seen as ‘quality‘ brands, whilst LR is seen as ‘luxury’. In design terms, in iconic terms, in desirability terms, etc etc, I don’t think many people would put an Audi Q7 (however good the build quality and however reliable it may be) above an equivalently priced RRS. Much like an Audi A8 will never supersede a Lambo even though under the skin they’re the same and Lambo has a reputation for reliability equal to that of LR.

So, as can be seen by many of this forum’s members, people keep going back, year after year, to LR, despite its failings. And as there is no real alternative (and for some off-road ability and towing ability are also important) they will continue to do so and hope they’ve picked up a ‘Monday morning‘ produced vehicle and not one rushed through on a Friday arvo.

So the pond will never empty, the brand cachet means too much to too many. But what JLR could have done is saved millions by not creating unnecessary models (such as the Velar) and reinvesting that cash into QC. And also they could accept that working (behind the scenes) with BMW to get electrics right, and some good German manufacturing principles in place, would have also been a worthwhile partnership.

But no, the ego that is McGovern is obsessed with design above engineering and, mainly, doing it all themselves. Until he goes, this stupor will continue whilst other equivalent manufacturers improve their products year on year. I mean, even Aston Martin have seen the light and headed to Germany for their electrics and engines, and that’s saying something. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #848763 9th Aug 2020 8:26am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Land Rover owners. Just like some football supporters. Year after year of heartache, no Championships, no Cups, poor performance, just about scraping in at the end of the season to avoid relegation, the Managers and Players talking the talk but not delivering results and still the lemmings go and pay extortionate prices for a season ticket even though at the bottom of their hearts it will be another season of the same (it’s no coincidence my local team is Norwich City - bless you Delia Smith and they didn’t scrape in to avoid relegation this year Whistle ).

Does the above not sound like a JLR owner, always optimistically hoping for something better with the next new model, but practically no hope of this becoming reality??

For the record, I would choose the Q7 every time rather than a RR although it hurts me to say that. Image is nothing when you are parked up on the hard shoulder waiting for recovery.

Grenadier, Supacat, I think what you said above is spot on Thumbs Up
Post #848765 9th Aug 2020 8:54am
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Grenadier wrote:
Couldn’t agree more Supacat. The problem is that the target market for the recent series of models produced by LR is geared heavily (and I’d suggest primarily) towards looks/image, and this is being pushed hard by McGovern. As such there seems to be an apathy towards, or even a willingness to accept, bad workmanship and constant breakdowns/recalls, as the look and image the car portrays is too important to the owner and there is no real substitute. A fully loaded RR or RRS is still considered by many to be a more niche, exclusive and premium vehicle than one of the equivalents made by Merc, Audi, BMW etc. I think they are seen as ‘quality‘ brands, whilst LR is seen as ‘luxury’. In design terms, in iconic terms, in desirability terms, etc etc, I don’t think many people would put an Audi Q7 (however good the build quality and however reliable it may be) above an equivalently priced RRS. Much like an Audi A8 will never supersede a Lambo even though under the skin they’re the same and Lambo has a reputation for reliability equal to that of LR.

So, as can be seen by many of this forum’s members, people keep going back, year after year, to LR, despite its failings. And as there is no real alternative (and for some off-road ability and towing ability are also important) they will continue to do so and hope they’ve picked up a ‘Monday morning‘ produced vehicle and not one rushed through on a Friday arvo.

But no, the ego that is McGovern is obsessed with design above engineering and, mainly, doing it all themselves. Until he goes, this stupor will continue whilst other equivalent manufacturers improve their products year on year. I mean, even Aston Martin have seen the light and headed to Germany for their electrics and engines, and that’s saying something.

Honestly, do you really think people who buy LR products for years (28 years for new LR/RR's in my case) have this attitude? If JLR products wouldn't make financial sense and provide me plus family with safe and reliable travels, I wouldn't buy them full stop and have only one or two Series for the collection. That is why the New Defender looks like it does cause it is build for people who buy....m
Post #848767 9th Aug 2020 9:07am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Got my 3 hour test drive booked. Might do some local lanes and some shopping!

Click image to enlarge
 Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #848770 9th Aug 2020 9:19am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I'd be curious to know if there's anything it the small print of whatever you sign to take a test drive that mentions off road use?
Post #848771 9th Aug 2020 9:26am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
You have to remember 100inch, we are all, well nearly all of us JLR owners.

My Defender has been the only vehicle I have ever owned that has been newish that hasn’t lost money and depreciated like a sinking stone so in that respect, it has made absolute financial sense. But the reliability and the corrosion and the rattles are something which no one is proud of. Any non- LR owner would assume that over the years, any decent manufacturer would have ironed out the issues and improved their design to make the vehicle better. Galvanising the chassis would have been a start, but that never happened.

If all you ever do is go back and buy LR vehicles, you will never know how good any other vehicle are? Bit like going on holiday to the same place every year. You may be very happy on holiday, but there may be a destination that would be better and more enjoyable for your vacation. You will never know.

I don’t think anyone on here 110inch, is criticising you for being loyal to the marque, it’s just their vehicles could be a lot better?

I like this to being a TVR owner in the 80’s. They were magnificent motors, but their build quality was shoddy at best. But TVR owners wouldn’t have a bad word said about them. Sadly we all know what happened to TVR. Rover had the same build quality issues. They also went the same way. I don’t think any of us want to see JLR go to the wall. It’s just difficult to watch the way things are going.
Post #848773 9th Aug 2020 9:34am
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Supacat wrote:
I'd be curious to know if there's anything it the small print of whatever you sign to take a test drive that mentions off road use?

Well it says go anywhere in the add...

And green lanes are public roads, not off road! Thumbs Up Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #848775 9th Aug 2020 9:39am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
100inch wrote:
Grenadier wrote:

But no, the ego that is McGovern is obsessed with design above engineering and, mainly, doing it all themselves. Until he goes, this stupor will continue whilst other equivalent manufacturers improve their products year on year. I mean, even Aston Martin have seen the light and headed to Germany for their electrics and engines, and that’s saying something.

Honestly, do you really think people who buy LR products for years (28 years for new LR/RR's in my case) have this attitude? If JLR products wouldn't make financial sense and provide me plus family with safe and reliable travels, I wouldn't buy them full stop and have only one or two Series for the collection. That is why the New Defender looks like it does cause it is build for people who buy....m

No, not those who’ve bought them for years. My comment related to the new target market as exemplified by the current variety of models, their looks, spec etc. For most people ‘safety’ and financial sense’ would be Japanese or South Korean, if we’re really being extreme, or one of the German ‘big three’ if brand/luxury matter. There’s not a single LR model that is better built, more reliable, has a better engine, handles as well, cheaper, has lower running costs etc etc than an equivalent BMW or Audi. Not one. So, in Europe (maybe it’s different down under) financial and safety sense for a luxury SUV would never have LR as the number one choice. So why do people by them? I maintain that currently it’s cachet/image. I.e. If Joe Bloggs had £75k for a well specced SUV and was down to a choice between an Audi SQ7 and RRS, why would they go for the more expensive, less reliable, higher servicing cost, less frugal, less spacious (but arguably better handling) LR? It can only be one thing, brand/image because in no other way does it make sense.

As I said, this is current buyers. Target market. The man/woman who might not have even considered a 4x4 before the explosion of models 10-15 years ago. LR does not make any sense (IMHO) beyond image. Want Safety And financial sense, buy Kia. Want Luxury level, euro brand safety and financial sense, buy Audi/Merc/BMW/VW. Want luxury brand cachet, LR/RR trumps them all.....

Clearly this is very simplified and there will be old school LR fans who don’t care about the image, but do care about safety, towing, 4x4 heritage etc. But watching the people who use LR products across Europe (and clearly in the Alps it’s a prime demographic for JLR and the German big 4 to target) they are not you, or that other l9ng-term LR fan anymore. In the main. Not exclusively, but in the main. And, I bel8eve, in the lines of sight for McGovern and LR. The models, the looks, the gizmos etc say as much. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #848777 9th Aug 2020 9:43am
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
I’ve now had my P300 SE for 2 weeks and here’s a summary of my feelings / experiences so far.

No issues found apart from the water drip issue on the seats when opening the doors. Now treated the seats with the Gtechniq I1 fabric protection.

It’s a very relaxing and comfortable drive, very similar to my previous L405 AB.

Loving the auto-hold handbrake function. Comes on automatically on steep inclines and can be activated at traffic lights etc by a firm press of the foot brake. Saves you sitting with your foot on the brake all the time.

Had a drive to the Yorkshire dales a few days ago, 5 adults plus a dog in the back. Plenty of room and comfort for all.

The new infotainment system is very good and easy to setup.

Having a tow bar fitted next week in advance of our first caravan trip in the Defender on the 23rd. Looking forward to seeing how she tows our 1800kg van.
Post #848778 9th Aug 2020 9:54am
100inch

Rashers,
I considered a lot of other brands, private and commercial plus I driven (mainly) Toyota all over the world in places like Highlands/ PNG. When I was partner of a motorsport logistic company we got demo cars supplied by all major manufactures including G-wagons. Interesting is that even those so called 'quality-reliable' brands failed... surprise surprise.
Sure JLR had some stuff ups but it is obviously much more fashionable to moan about it. It will be interesting to see how many people on here actually going to buy a Grenadier, G-Wagon or Bronco....And yes you are right that most users here are JLR owners but not all are equal.
Post #848780 9th Aug 2020 10:01am
100inch

Grenadier wrote:
100inch wrote:
Grenadier wrote:

No, not those who’ve bought them for years. My comment related to the new target market as exemplified by the current variety of models, their looks, spec etc. For most people ‘safety’ and financial sense’ would be Japanese or South Korean, if we’re really being extreme, or one of the German ‘big three’ if brand/luxury matter. There’s not a single LR model that is better built, more reliable, has a better engine, handles as well, cheaper, has lower running costs etc etc than an equivalent BMW or Audi. Not one. So, in Europe (maybe it’s different down under) financial and safety sense for a luxury SUV would never have LR as the number one choice. So why do people by them? I maintain that currently it’s cachet/image. I.e. If Joe Bloggs had £75k for a well specced SUV and was down to a choice between an Audi SQ7 and RRS, why would they go for the more expensive, less reliable, higher servicing cost, less frugal, less spacious (but arguably better handling) LR? It can only be one thing, brand/image because in no other way does it make sense.

As I said, this is current buyers. Target market. The man/woman who might not have even considered a 4x4 before the explosion of models 10-15 years ago. LR does not make any sense (IMHO) beyond image. Want Safety And financial sense, buy Kia. Want Luxury level, euro brand safety and financial sense, buy Audi/Merc/BMW/VW. Want luxury brand cachet, LR/RR trumps them all.....

Clearly this is very simplified and there will be old school LR fans who don’t care about the image, but do care about safety, towing, 4x4 heritage etc. But watching the people who use LR products across Europe (and clearly in the Alps it’s a prime demographic for JLR and the German big 4 to target) they are not you, or that other l9ng-term LR fan anymore. In the main. Not exclusively, but in the main. And, I bel8eve, in the lines of sight for McGovern and LR. The models, the looks, the gizmos etc say as much.

You would be really disappointed to see my 2018 RRS travelling the Outback then.... probably seen more off road than most Defenders on here. Or when I drove an Evoque in Icleand. In winter. I normally check out other peoples LR's here and this often tells the story how they use their car and how much 'old school' they are. Or at least think they are.
Post #848782 9th Aug 2020 10:09am
Supacat

100inch wrote:
Honestly, do you really think people who buy LR products for years (28 years for new LR/RR's in my case) have this attitude?

Well I don't - but you are not the target audience for the new defender:

"The new Defender, whenever it is released, has to appeal to a whole new generation of people."
Gerry McGovern
https://www.cardesignnews.com/designers/de...09.article

And in terms of what Grenadier has said, I think it paraphrases very well what JLR have been saying openly for several years:

"Design is a key differentiator in the marketplace, while being a conduit to communicate what a brand stands for. That will always be the case, irrespective of what’s going on in terms of new technologies"
Gerry McGovern
https://www.cardesignnews.com/designers/de...09.article

And the killer quote:
"We live in a world now where image is everything.

Once things become comparable between one manufacturer and another, whether it’s technology, quality, precision, reliability, connectivity—whatever it is—once those things become comparable, what are you left with? You’re really left with the brand and its essence. It’s design that communicates what that essence is."
Gerry McGovern
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/land-rov...ng-1334564

It's sad to see a brand where the engineering excellence was the key differentiator, the thing that was front and centre of everything they did, now being seen as nothing special but only comparable.

The truth really is out there if you have the time and inclination - it's all hidden in plain sight!

100inch wrote:
That is why the New Defender looks like it does cause it is build for people who buy....m

I'm unsure, but is that a dig at those of us keeping our hands in our pockets?

I'm happy to pull further quotes but they don't make the potential new buyers for the new defender look good (and here I would draw a distinction to old, or existing JLR product owners) - it's about a short term happy feeling akin to a new saville row suit, yacht, handbag, pair of Jimmy Choos. In fact, if the words weren't in quotes from the man himself, you'd think it was a parody.
Post #848786 9th Aug 2020 10:17am
Supacat

bankz5152 wrote:
Supacat wrote:

And green lanes are public roads, not off road! Thumbs Up

Dare you ask the Dealer on collection?
Post #848787 9th Aug 2020 10:21am
J77

Scotland 
bankz5152 wrote:
Supacat wrote:

And green lanes are public roads, not off road! Thumbs Up

Nothing in my dealers loan car form that mentioned off road use, all it says it can’t be used for taxi/private hire, racing etc.
Post #848788 9th Aug 2020 10:23am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 253 of 351 <123 ... 252253254 ... 349350351>