↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 196 of 351 <123 ... 195196197 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
There's also the comments in the video about the screen/software appearing to be "laggy". It certainly seemed that he was touching the screen multiple times to get it to react.

At one point, as commented by the driver, I thought it was just he was not touching the screen in the right place - but he carried on tapping in the "wrong" place and it then worked.
Post #835252 5th Jun 2020 9:30am
J77

Scotland 
Supacat wrote:
J77 wrote:
We got George and Bungle, I was waiting on zippy to turn up.

I actually found him quite engaging, honest and straightforward. A far better source of info on the new model then most things seen to date.

He's done a few other interesting video, especially on parts:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post835245.html#835245

J77 wrote:
I’m afraid I would’ve drove it straight back to the dealer.

Curious to know if this is not something that the dual SIM and SOTA can sort out remotely? Either triggered by the vehicle throwing a code and then sending data back to JLR or the dealer; or the owner ringing the dealer who can then access the car remotely?

The review was good enough, I’ll definitely keep watching.

The laggy software, looked to me like he needed to press the Go button rather than the address, but from my experience of LRs incontrol pro system a software update generally cures the problem, sometimes just switching the car off and letting it go to sleep cures it, other than that it looks very slick in comparison to the current system.

Last edited by J77 on 5th Jun 2020 10:01am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #835259 5th Jun 2020 9:50am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The reversing camera system is interesting, I wonder how it does that "drone view" trick?

It would be interesting to see how well it works in a congested car park, or a multi-story.
Post #835260 5th Jun 2020 9:55am
Tim in Scotland

The Fuji White S looks much more intimidating from the front than the Gangsta Black edition SE - interesting that they chose the 2ltr petrol - if the D200 is anything to go buy they will be great friends with their local superstore forecourt! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #835264 5th Jun 2020 10:48am
J77

Scotland 
Full on storm trooper spec, I’m not sure I’d have it.

Click image to enlarge
Post #835277 5th Jun 2020 1:13pm
Tim in Scotland

Lordy that is horrible with an all black bonnet - why didn’t the just go for the big 110 Matte finish accessory one that covers raised bit of the bonnet, even the RAI has been painted black. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #835282 5th Jun 2020 1:42pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Naks wrote:
Finally, some proper off-roading with a direct comparison between old & new Defender, although the driver does not seem to know what he's doing...

Clearly the driver is new to off-roading, and it also doesn't seem like that 110 has the rear e-diff. He also clearly doesn't know how to get the TC to work properly.

But even without the rear e-diff, it shouldn't have gotten stuck so much.

I would have walked that hill in my D4 and RRS

Just watched this again and it seems to have been edited and now stops just before it smashes the plastic corner on the rock?
Post #835283 5th Jun 2020 1:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
J77 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Is this Landrover's answer to the Panda?
Post #835300 5th Jun 2020 5:09pm
eelpout

United States 
Supacat wrote:
There's also the comments in the video about the screen/software appearing to be "laggy". It certainly seemed that he was touching the screen multiple times to get it to react.

At one point, as commented by the driver, I thought it was just he was not touching the screen in the right place - but he carried on tapping in the "wrong" place and it then worked.
on the third tap he did actually shift over to the "Go" button and that's when it worked. when he said "a bit laggy" after pressing the re-centre button, most mapping systems have a pause for route calculation, didn't have a problem with that.

definitely more responsive than the older, non Pivi Pro/EVA 2.0 hardware. i'd be hard pressed to order any JLR product now without this new system after seeing this. rumors are out there for RRS and D5 getting it in refreshes for '21.
Post #835312 5th Jun 2020 6:01pm
J77

Scotland 
blackwolf wrote:
J77 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Is this Landrover's answer to the Panda?

Giant Panda
Post #835314 5th Jun 2020 6:08pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
Ads90 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Needs steelies!

White roof colour steelies Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #835315 5th Jun 2020 6:13pm
nidge n

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/modified/...w-defender

Looks like Kahn have done it already!
Post #835353 5th Jun 2020 9:42pm
J77

Scotland 
Yup, this one is apparently on 23” rims

Click image to enlarge
Post #835371 5th Jun 2020 10:20pm
Supacat

Might look better if they swapped with the tyres on the Jeep.
Post #835388 6th Jun 2020 5:48am
Supacat

Inigo wrote:
New article, I think.

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/05/31/land-rover-design-boss/#

I'm kind of ambivalent about the New Defender, but each time I read an article that quotes Gerry, I go off it a bit more. "Desirative consequence". I can only assume he is now making up phrases deliberately to troll people.

I've just been reading the above article and contrasting it with what he was saying last year:

https://www.core77.com/posts/88353/The-Des...of-Design#

There are many things that are just contradictory or polar opposites ~ look at his views on evolution of car design as just one example:

"There's this preoccupation in the automotive industry that ever time you do a new car, it has to be completely different. Why? When it comes to a new vehicle that we haven't produced before, that's our opportunity to be radical. But if you've got something that's established, that people love, [I'd rather] refine it. Look at the evolution of the 911, it's a very good example. Or the evolution of the Range Rover. That is our approach."

and then from the newer article:

"I think retrospectivism is the kiss of death, quite frankly. It’s a slippery slope. It actually conveys that you haven’t got any new ideas of the future, because you’re looking back too much. Now, that’s not to say you don’t recognize your roots, because I think authenticity — particularly in a premium brand — is important. But you don’t let that manifest itself in the product to the point that the product looks like a facsimile of something that was created 60-odd years ago. For me, that’s not honest design. That car created 60, 70 years ago was right for its time, but things have moved on."

" Now, what I think [the new Defender] does very well is, it recognizes its roots by taking some sort of references and incorporating them, executing them in a thoroughly modern way. But it’s details, it’s not in the overall essence of it. People say, y’know, is this an evolution of the original? Well, no, of course it’s not."
Post #835395 6th Jun 2020 7:08am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 196 of 351 <123 ... 195196197 ... 349350351>