↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 133 of 351 <123 ... 132133134 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
It comes with adaptive dynamics, on air suspension at least, which should help a bit.
Post #804855 5th Dec 2019 1:13pm
zilch

Australia 
Ecco wrote:
..well, considering that car is a mall crawler, i can understand why this is considered off-road... Rolling with laughter

i have put another video up of the same drive, the P400 is on their rally test stage.. not an off road stage yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #805112 7th Dec 2019 6:10am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Another one:

--
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #805113 7th Dec 2019 6:46am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I'm confused...

Do they think their competition is a Bowler Bulldog?

A bloke who doesn't look to be that good a driver, drives it completely unsympathetically and has to use lots of opposite lock ~ is the software that crap that it can't deal with those conditions?

Drive it like that regularly and I wonder how much of the damage will be covered under warranty?

Seems a very different approach to JLR of old...and maybe speaks more of their intended target market.
Post #805114 7th Dec 2019 6:57am
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
..as i said, off road considered for mall crawlers..i mean..seriously...??

..this volvo does more off roading than whats presented by 'toughest of all time'.. Rolling with laughter

Post #805144 7th Dec 2019 10:39am
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Supacat wrote:
I'm confused...

A bloke who doesn't look to be that good a driver, drives it completely unsympathetically and has to use lots of opposite lock ~ is the software that crap that it can't deal with those conditions?

Drive it like that regularly and I wonder how much of the damage will be covered under warranty?

Seems a very different approach to JLR of old...and maybe speaks more of their intended target market.

Mike Cross is a very very good driver .... 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #805179 7th Dec 2019 4:26pm
Supacat

Not judging by that footage... look at the 1st right hand into the "rally" stage, gets the entry wrong, oversteer on way in, misses apex, lifts off, understeer on way out, engine bogs, wrong gear, then boots it.

All rather pointless...
Post #805191 7th Dec 2019 4:51pm
J77

Scotland 
Ecco wrote:

..this volvo does more off roading than whats presented by 'toughest of all time'.. Rolling with laughter

Rolling Eyes

It’s not an off road test.
Post #805219 7th Dec 2019 6:09pm
zilch

Australia 
Ecco wrote:

really, i think there is plenty of footage of the new defender being tested off road, but I look
at it from a practical perspective. I own a MY10 Rangie Sport with the original terrain response, e-diff
option and use ATR tyres, that in standard form will go just about everywhere the lifted, big tyre defenders,
cruisers & patrols can go without any struggle, much to the latter owners surprise.

Now lets look at the MY20 defender, which has a far more up to date and improved package in terms
of the terrain system vs my Sport, and if you want the TR can be ignored and you can just use the
low/high range option to go into oldie world mode.. The new Defender will be even far more capable
than my RR Sport, which has had most terrain types thrown at it over the years and handled it in style
and without any problems yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #805270 7th Dec 2019 10:16pm
zilch

Australia 
Supacat wrote:
I'm confused...

possibly getting it ready for a few drift competitions Whistle yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #805275 7th Dec 2019 10:51pm
Supacat

zilch wrote:

really, i think there is plenty of footage of the new defender being tested off road

But none of it is independent of JLR, so it's safe to assume it's edited so put it in the best possible light?

zilch wrote:
Now lets look at the MY20 defender, which has a far more up to date and improved package in terms
of the terrain system vs my Sport, and if you want the TR can be ignored and you can just use the
low/high range option to go into oldie world mode.. The new Defender will be even far more capable
than my RR Sport, which has had most terrain types thrown at it over the years and handled it in style
and without any problems

The terrain system is software, and so equating a newer release as being improved is always a moot point. There are so many variables they programme before you even get to the variables you can alter on the fly such as throttle response, suspension settings, gearbox change points, etc that it's more about being different than better, more subjective than being objective.

I don't think there's any game changing hardware or software on the new vehicle to speak of.

In terms of being more capable (I assume you mean in off road terms) then the only real change I see is the wading depth, and we've had several posts on whether that is a real world figure or just a paper spec for pub top trumps?
Post #805287 8th Dec 2019 7:09am
zilch

Australia 
I have driven a number of different vehicles on the LR Experience day, and i can
assure you the later / updated Terrain response had ironed out a lot of the earlier
issues with the TR settings. The MY15 Sport I drove using the same TR settings has my
MY10 handled a number of obstacles thrown at it with less effort than my older
variant, which do not get me wrong, i am more than happy with, basically came out of the
course far more relaxed Whistle

You hardly going to get non-lr footage until its launched, although it seems the 007 film stunt crew
gave it a good go. When people post the XC60 is likely to be more capable, that shows there is
bias and BS being aimed at the new Defender on this forum. yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #805299 8th Dec 2019 9:26am
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Supacat wrote:

Click image to enlarge
Post #805301 8th Dec 2019 10:09am
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Just for arguments sake..... can I just clear up something, are you comparing a RRS with TR to a new Defender ?

Or an old Defender to a RRS with TR or an old Defender to a new Defender ?

If the old Defender is being compared to the new one, which no one has driven yet..... think back to the Old discovery 1 & 2, when that emerged and before any one drove it the thing was relegated to the scrap yard and scoffed at for its electronics, the D3 and its subsequent replacements have outstripped each other both on and off road, to assume an old Defender is going to handle like a new one off road or on irrespective of TR systems is just naive and bad apples.

If you look at the launch footage it shows clearly that the vehicle can elevate when wading and then go into super extended mode, this is presuming of course that the electrics don’t get wet and the air suspension works once it’s left the factory ? DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #805311 8th Dec 2019 11:32am
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I am sure the new Defender will be phenomenal off road straight out of the box, especially with a decent set of tyres.

However, I fear that the cost and complexity of it will make it too expensive and risky to use as a practical dual purpose vehicle for most people.

For me, it is something of a white elephant.

Even if it had been dressed in a more traditional set of clothes, it has become too far removed from the concept of a simple to maintain vehicle that could easily be adapted to suit different uses.

I realise that any new vehicle is bound to have some electronics to meet emission, crash and other legislation.
But new Defender seems over burdened with technology.

I hope Ineos can find the right balance and come up with a sensibly priced alternative that isn't too complicated for the average DIY mechanic to keep running.
Post #805321 8th Dec 2019 12:48pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 133 of 351 <123 ... 132133134 ... 349350351>