Print this entire topic · 
jfh

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Chawton White
The wheel is on asphalt.

Sorry didn't see the attached photo.
Post #746625 20th Dec 2018 4:24pm
Ramajama

United States 
It took me a couple tries to get it to attach. Yeah I figured that pic might be the 22 inch wheels actually on the vehicle. 2018 RAM Power Wagon (American Muscle)
2003 Land Rover Discovery II HSE 7 (Still deciding on its role)
2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE (British Steel...& aluminum)
2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Lux (Soccer Mom car)
Post #746628 20th Dec 2018 4:49pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Bluest wrote:
Look how small the new vehicle is compared to the old Rolling Eyes

it's actually not, it's just the dimensions that are different and the wheels are bigger

Ok, the rear cargo space looks a bit shorter, but that's because the doors are bigger, and the bonnet is actually longer.

the new one sits lower but that's probably due to being on Normal height, at Offroad height it will probably be around the the same height.

the interior space will probably be around the same, just way more comfortable Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #746643 20th Dec 2018 7:18pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Ramajama wrote:
It took me a couple tries to get it to attach. Yeah I figured that pic might be the 22 inch wheels actually on the vehicle.

Where are you getting 22's from? PS Don't say 22" too loud or the 16" diehards will hear Rolling with laughter 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #746645 20th Dec 2018 7:32pm
Ramajama

United States 
LOL!! Well before there’s too much hand wringing, teeth gnashing, feet stomping, wailing and crying....I’m sure there will be a wheel choice for everyone. But even still, ya cant please everyone. 2018 RAM Power Wagon (American Muscle)
2003 Land Rover Discovery II HSE 7 (Still deciding on its role)
2004 Land Rover Discovery II SE (British Steel...& aluminum)
2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE Lux (Soccer Mom car)
Post #746646 20th Dec 2018 8:10pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-ne...o-15692916 DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #752192 18th Jan 2019 7:45pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-ne...o-15692916 DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #752193 18th Jan 2019 7:45pm
Clive

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 X-Tech LE Zambezi Silver
I had a chance meeting the other day with a chap who works at JLR, I asked him about the raised clamshell bonnet and the other disguised bits on the mules, he wouldn't be drawn too much on the finer details but said there's a lot of foam padding all over the place under those disguised body lines and there's more of the classic Defender body shape underneath than it appears, also there are no carpets inside in a nod to the classic hose-down functionality, so all those who decry it and say it's nothing like a "proper" Defender could be in for a surprise. Whistle
Post #752203 18th Jan 2019 8:24pm
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
The idea of it being nothing like an original is because the original was born out of a need for a vehicle to provide a function.

The new defender doesn't have that. It never will as nowadays there are a multitude of vehicles that do the job a defender does, better and cheaper.

The new defender will be a vehicle in name only, the basic idea of it's predecessor is not needed and JLR won't produce a vehicle along those lines.

They have moved with the times, and quite rightly so.
Post #752209 18th Jan 2019 8:54pm
Entreq

Germany 
Post #752286 19th Jan 2019 1:32am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Badger110 wrote:
The idea of it being nothing like an original is because the original was born out of a need for a vehicle to provide a function.

The new defender doesn't have that. It never will as nowadays there are a multitude of vehicles that do the job a defender does, better and cheaper.

That rather suggests that the last 18 years or so of production were in the same category as the new model.
Post #752303 19th Jan 2019 10:27am
Supacat

Clive wrote:
there's a lot of foam padding all over the place under those disguised body lines and there's more of the classic Defender body shape underneath than it appears

This - other than the relative positions of the wheels and the windscreen, it's just not possible to draw any conclusions about the final body shape.

Everyone's looking at the block of stone and seeing their own statue.

Clive wrote:
also there are no carpets inside in a nod to the classic hose-down functionality, so all those who decry it and say it's nothing like a "proper" Defender could be in for a surprise. Whistle

I can recall press statements pre DC100 that made reference to "new" materials for the interior...neoprene and such other materials to give waterproof seats, dashboard, etc...
Post #752305 19th Jan 2019 10:33am
Badger110

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Buckingham Blue
Supacat wrote:
Badger110 wrote:

That rather suggests that the last 18 years or so of production were in the same category as the new model.

Not quite.

18 years ago, the Defender was introduced based on the Series III, all the tooling and manufacturing process to build the defender was there, nothing drastic was changed. Contracts with the MOD for defenders were in place, we still had a pride in the Solihull factories and the japanese market of reliable 4x4's hadn't become noticable just yet in the UK, so the defender still had a market.

In today's climate the defender doesn't have a place amongst the cheaper, better produced vehicles ( pick ups ) on the market.

Will the new defender have to fill a niche no longer there for it when a disco will do the same job and it'll do it in more comfort in these modern times?

I feel the new defender will take it's heritage not from the original concept of a utiilty vehicle, but from the parts bins of the RR, Disco and freelander. Yes it may have rubber mats, washable interior and look simialr to the original shape, but i can't see you getting farmers out of their hilux pickups to go buy one.

VW and BMW have shown that you can take the badge of a classic car and produce something people will enjoy ( the beetle and mini ) but they did this for a road going car.

The defender was a niche market which i feel is no longer viable for JLR to fill, so they will produce a vehicle for a different market and keep the badge.
Post #752333 19th Jan 2019 12:42pm
Supacat

I'm not sure the actual sales figures support your narrative:

Click image to enlarge

The real damage to the model came in the 80s with the huge decline in the RoW export market based on poor build and reliability. The UK & European market has been "relatively" flat - excepting the jumps for new model/engine variants introduced since then and I'd argue it's been a niche market ever since then.

If you look at the model sales across the whole of JLR - it's many of the Jag models you'd want increased sales from before messing with the Defender.

They've got greedy and pushing for 50k and then 100k sales per annum from the new Defender means the design brief will never fit the narrow parameters that made sense to the current owners.
Post #752343 19th Jan 2019 1:32pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Clive wrote:
there's a lot of foam padding all over the place under those disguised body lines and there's more of the classic Defender body shape underneath than it appears, also there are no carpets inside in a nod to the classic hose-down functionality, so all those who decry it and say it's nothing like a "proper" Defender could be in for a surprise. Whistle

Agreed I think the tops of the wings and bonnet will be similar to the Defender

Badger110 wrote:
nowadays there are a multitude of vehicles that do the job a defender does, better and cheaper.

Like what?

Badger110 wrote:
when a disco will do the same job and it'll do it in more comfort in these modern times?

Agreed if you are talking about the D3/4 but disagree if you are discussing the D5 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #752357 19th Jan 2019 2:39pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 14 of 351 <123 ... 131415 ... 349350351>