↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 119 of 351 <123 ... 118119120 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Not sure JLR will allow the association of the new Defender with farmers! Rolling with laughter James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #796595 3rd Oct 2019 8:47pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
spudfan wrote:
Do you think we will see the newbie featuring like this?
I received this from Sealey today.
https://edition.pagesuite-professional.co....c93f6a72e7

A pressure washer would most likely blast off all the plastic panels.

Delicate hand wash only.
Post #796596 3rd Oct 2019 8:55pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Great Scott, the word "delicate" being used in relation to a Land Rover. Wilkes and Wilkes will be turning in their graves! 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #796602 3rd Oct 2019 9:54pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
ickle wrote:
saw a new defender being badly driven on the A46 Evesham bypass today (overtaking / wrong lane on an island past traffic queue)

First thing is it looks big/ wide in the flesh

Secondly, why are they still heavily camouflaged as they’ve been released now?

Maybe a 130 variant?
Post #796623 4th Oct 2019 7:41am
Tim in Scotland

Or the Hard Top/Commercial 110? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #796638 4th Oct 2019 8:50am
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I've been following this thread with interest and like many on here I'm a true Defender fan, in fact I'm a pre-Defender fan having had various models since 1973 (some may recall the Defender name was a fairly recent-ish addition).

All of my Land Rover's have, for one reason or another been a complete pain in the arse including those purchased from brand spanking new; take my last of the line 2016 XS, before actually daring to go through a winter I had it Zagato'd, I have to use ACF 50 like its going out of fashion just to keep the red stuff at bay, on a long journey in summer my left leg suffers from heat stroke, its not particularly economical, I've had to replace the corroding window blocks (thanks Huttopia for most excellent blocks) & next week its in for a warranty job on the bubbling windscreen...BUT, I love it!

Sales of the last Defender weren't particularly large in volume because the appeal of such a vehicle was limited to a few of us who, despite the archaic design & accompanying flaws were prepared to live with this to experience Defender ownership, however, to most people a car is no different to a 'white goods' appliance, its merely something they get in, it takes them to where they want to go & never goes wrong...my wife falls into this category & every 3/4 years she has a new car, her (now) 3 year old Nissan Juke (like the previous 3 Nissan's) has never had to be returned for ANY warranty job...she treats it like dirt & yet, it just doesn't go wrong & more importantly it services her needs as a 'white goods' type appliance.

So the point I suppose I'm making is that if JLR had continued to produce a 'love it for all it's faults' type new Defender then it wouldn't have sold in volume & modern day economies of scale & highly competitive markets meant that it would have been culled by JLR accountants fairly swiftly...in short most potential first time buyers of JLR products including the 2020 Defender simply would not put up with the dreadful things that most of us on this forum seem to think are all part of the charm, what we accept as the 'norm' is simply, no longer acceptable.

The new Defender has an impressive payload & towing capacity, incredible off road ability & JLR would appear to be making it as versatile as possible to appeal to a wide variety of owners...they had to do this in order for the Defender to survive.

This forum is, in the main, a happy & balanced place in which to air views but like Brexit the new Defender seems to have needlessly created angry & divided people...it is what it is, an incredibly capable vehicle that will take the new Defender to new heights, yes its different to our 'pain in the arse' Defenders but it had to be to survive.

In the main I'm not a JLR fan but lets give them credit for producing a new Defender that WILL stand out from the crowd of most other 4x4's...they had an incredibly difficult job of building a new ground up vehicle & I for one, on first impressions, think they've done a great job...it's different from the old Defender...but frankly, it had to be. Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains

Last edited by Fat Cog on 4th Oct 2019 10:49am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #796639 4th Oct 2019 8:58am
Tim in Scotland

Zed wrote:
A pressure washer would most likely blast off all the plastic panels.Delicate hand wash only.

You don’t see many Freelander1’s with blasted off plastic and composite bonnets, front and rear wings and the early ones are getting on for 22 years old now, plenty of plastic and composite panels on more recent LR products and they are more modern versions of recycled washing up liquid bottles so I don’t see there will be any problem with washing a New Defender with a jet wash. In ownership of 11 Land Rover products I have only had 1 issue with a composite tailgate on one of the first Evoques off the line - in -10c temperatures I very gently reversed into a safety barrier and the tailgate just cracked. My dealers put it in as a warranty claim as it shouldn’t have happened and JLR acknowledged a manufacturing defect, it did mean a complete new composite tailgate with all fittings as then they didn’t supply them in knock down kits. Had I had to pay, including VAT and labour a replacement would have cost £1800 though......... Big Cry Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #796646 4th Oct 2019 10:27am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #796694 4th Oct 2019 3:18pm
Tim in Scotland

LR has emailed me an invite to Hailwood or Solihull for a New Defender event day - select a day over the next 2 weeks. The version i’m interested in isn’t due on sale until late 2020 so I think I can wait until the dealer has some and the wheel kickers / queues have got over the launch Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #796695 4th Oct 2019 3:37pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Well,
Down here probably we will be able to see the new Defender next year.
Time will tell Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #796722 4th Oct 2019 6:13pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
ericvv wrote:
The new Land Rover model official presentation event in my good old native town of Antwerp.
Eric

Good grief - open the bonnet and your mug of tea will fall off the "chequer plate" wing Whistle
Thanks for that Eric - just saved me £100k Rolling with laughter Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #796734 4th Oct 2019 7:41pm
foggydave

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Bonatti Grey
Are the Ingenium engines in this Defender subject to the issue with oil particulate in the oil as the other models?
Post #797075 7th Oct 2019 11:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
"Good grief - open the bonnet and your mug of tea will fall off the "chequer plate" wing"

Open the bonnet and you will not be able to access anything it will be a big plastic cover over the lot Rolling with laughter

Any work will require a full plug in and firmware update from NASA

I do like it, it's just not IMHO what I would spend £75K on
Post #797076 7th Oct 2019 11:10am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
foggydave wrote:
Are the Ingenium engines in this Defender subject to the issue with oil particulate in the oil as the other models?

it's the same engine, so I would guess yes? --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #797086 7th Oct 2019 12:33pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I've tried to defend the new Defender but the more I see of it, the more I errr think that it's merely a replacement for the largely unloved D5; the really sad thing is that JLR seem to have done the McGovern thing instead of sympathetically replacing (what should be) their flagship model with something that at least can trace it's DNA back to 1947.

This brings me to the Jeep Wrangler which, having owned one in the past (alongside my Land Rover's of course) I've got a bit of a soft spot for & I'm seriously considering purchasing a Rubicon JL 2.2 as my daily runner (the new Defender simply doesn't pull my trigger) & this excellent & informative YouTube review sums up what a lot of us Defender folk think about replacing an icon.

It's worth a watch even if you're not a Jeep fan, if nothing else for the comments made by the reviewer at 06:30 minutes about manufacturers replacing their own particular icon's...he doesn't mention JLR but his thoughts hit home...enjoy.

Oh yes & I had to laugh when the reviewer states that Jeep listened to existing owners about what they wanted from the new Wrangler...did JLR talk to ANY Defender owners?!?!

Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #798199 14th Oct 2019 9:06pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 119 of 351 <123 ... 118119120 ... 349350351>