↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 105 of 351 <123 ... 104105106 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
adafish wrote:
I recognise a lot of that underbody.....pretty mush similar to the 405/494 AND 462 I'm building at the mo....Remember L663 production team having a few parts from my area when on L462

You ll be getting another warning from your leader's office ~ Prof Gerry has said it's all totally unique Laughing
Post #792186 11th Sep 2019 6:35pm
What puddle?

United Kingdom 
Sad man that I am, the subject of the new Defender has been on my mind all my working day! You see, here's the thing: Mr & Mrs Smith need a nice new 4x4 to take their kids out to football training, ballet, LegoLand, whatever. Now, they can buy a 110 for £60,000...or they can buy a Mitsubishi ASX...

Click image to enlarge

Actually they can buy THREE! Because the ASX is being sold at a shade over £20,000. I know it's not a pretty car, but seriously, this is going to be a big problem for 110 sales, I feel. They've just made it too damned expensive! If Mitsubishi can sell a car like the ASX for £20,000 why can't JLR? Yes, I know it's in a different class, but let's be honest, JLR couldn't make ANY car for £20,000 - even a three-wheeled city crapmobile. Now left.
Post #792188 11th Sep 2019 6:38pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
^^^ I don’t think that sort of car would ever be a problem for JLR because JLR’s (LR’s) target market would never ever buy Japanese. Indeed they’d probably never buy out of the EU ‘big three’ prestige car countries. UK, Germany Italy. A 20k Jap-mobile, however good/sexy/sensibly priced etc, just isn’t on their radar. The reason a LR client might not buy a new Defender is because they’ll be distracted by a BMW X6... Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #792212 11th Sep 2019 8:15pm
zippo87

Scotland 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
I think Gerry sums everything up quite nicely with ‘This is a business’

Absolutely, because nobody builds anything these days to be the best, to provide the best service, to rise above their competitors through reputation or pride. It’s all about money, how cheap can we build it, how much can we sell it, and how can we fill the pockets of the board and shareholders.
Post #792222 11th Sep 2019 8:35pm
Setok

Finland 
Supacat wrote:
You guys been in a modern aeroplane recently?

The fly by wire system was part of the reason for the Air France accident a couple of years ago. That system doesn’t make me overly confident. Luckily those systems are usually tested and designed to withstand just about anything in an airplane. Considering how not uncommon it is for a car to lose its electrics, I would be very, very uncomfortable about not having mechanical brakes. Indeed, it boggles the mind.
Post #792240 11th Sep 2019 9:14pm
Freypal

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Portofino Red
I like the look of it... Specced a 110 up with all that I'd want and it came out at £49k. Surround cameras, heated seats, sat nav, climate control, cruise control, 3rd middle seat and clear view mirror, upgraded terrain response and active diff.

Base spec seems pretty generous to me.
Post #792248 11th Sep 2019 9:26pm
familymad

2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Exactly. It’s pretty good as a base model and doesn’t need much added Thumbs Up 1951 80" S1 2.0
1995 110 300TDI
1995 90 300TDI
Post #792250 11th Sep 2019 9:27pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I gave up, when the spec i would order came to a tad of £93000.00 , Can think of a few others i would buy first Very Happy California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #792254 11th Sep 2019 9:30pm
Oldyellar

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
I like the dash it's a nod back to the pre puma dash's probably to appeal to what people in the states are used to.
Post #792259 11th Sep 2019 9:37pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Supacat wrote:
Prof Gerry has said it's all totally unique Laughing

When did McG become Prof McG? Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #792298 11th Sep 2019 10:45pm
geezer

Australia 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Devon-Rover wrote:
I had a play on the configurator and whilst it's possible to go mad I got to a spec to be happy with for about 53 grand, After all you get a vehicle to start with of a far superior level anyway.

We will all never agree about how we view what this new defender should of been. As it is a newer more advanced vehicles there is only so far we can all go with the 'Equivilent' specs with said person 'X's current defender.

I have been having a good look at reactions across the net and on social networks and there is a equal balance of good and bad. But I won't direct this at anyone however.

a bit of a explination comparison

Jump from a Series vehicle into a mid 90's 110 CSW and you think this is more luxury and greater capability (this is nice could get used to it) Go and then hop into the later puma XS and you have aircon and leather and driving aids like ABS / ETC so again more luxury and capability. (nice again better to live with)
So we take a leap into the new defender and we get

A whole new vehicle (not a multi time brought back from the dead model) - Don't argue before you go back through the media and magazines from the 90's to present day, and see how many times the defender was going to get axed due to emissions and safety legislation. The TD5 was getting long in the tooth by 2005 so the puma era (which again admit it the beardy TD5 and TDI brigade still don't like it for having a transit engine, and a different dash) was again a postponement of the Axe and we knew the replacement was coming... one day.
Just looking at how much further design and technology has gone into the vehicle and how much advanced it is then are we really surprised that it cost's a lot more?
The list of standard features far surpasse the old defender and not to mention you get a defender that won't leak, won't have odd panel gaps, won't be an affont to audiologist in terms of NVH, won't assault your elbows everytime you drive it, won't have a rear crossmember that rust's in a years time, won't have a chassis that the factory coating means rust within 5 years, Won't have window blocks that bubble and corrode, won't have galvanic corrosion of the cappings, won't have cappings that are not painted underneath, won't have drive flanges made of cheese, won't have drive shafts under specced for the power of the engine, won't have a drive adaptor time bomb between the gearbox and T-box, Won't have an engine which loosens it's own injector bolts, won't have an engine having to be brought in from a competitor manufacturer, Won't have a doors that are hard to close when parked on a crossaxle, won't have doors that are easy to steal, won't have a roof that cracks under light loads from a roofrack,

I won't go on but we need to move on.

I very much doubt i'm gonna afford a new one being on minimum wage, but looking objectively at a JLR product which are firmly putting themselves into the premium SUV category then why are we surprised?
We are all here due to the simple defender of old, and love the nostalgia of it being a simple workhorse BUT...
Not many of us do actually use those features that are bemoaned towards the new one. Take the hose out interior I saw being banded about. How many of us in the last week actively hosed your defender out? out of total forum pop what 5 of us? maybe? We have rubber mats that we remove and wash off.

Looking at it's family the discovery and the range rover they have all moved up market and up priced, Didn't you see it coming?

Fair point, I think the real issue here is cost. If the price range was instead 30, 40 and 50K then we would all probably be considering an order.....

Not sure what the pricing here in Australia will be as yet, but anticipating as Pickles I think previously posted it will fall into the luxury car tax bracket which will make it prohibitive for the average Defender enthusiast.
Post #792305 11th Sep 2019 11:22pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Freypal wrote:
I like the look of it... Specced a 110 up with all that I'd want and it came out at £49k. Surround cameras, heated seats, sat nav, climate control, cruise control, 3rd middle seat and clear view mirror, upgraded terrain response and active diff.

Base spec seems pretty generous to me.

Can you upload the spec sheet for that?
Post #792313 12th Sep 2019 5:34am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
My 12 year old son sent me the spec sheet for the 110 he’d configured. He was really happy with it for £84k! Lego beckons....
Post #792322 12th Sep 2019 6:45am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Nailed it!

https://www.evo.co.uk/opinion/22767/it-s-t...eds-to?amp

Quote:
'It’s time everyone woke up to the fact that the new Land Rover Defender needs to change'
The market for this car isn't a mythical throng of utility workers and cattle herders, it's suburban families who dream of G-wagens
by: Richard Porter
11 Jun 2019

Do you remember the Bank Holiday Bond-a-thon episode of I’m Alan Partridge where the lead character listens with horror as his guests misremember 007’s adventures and eventually cries in anguish, ‘STOP GETTING BOND WRONG’? Well that’s how I feel about the new Land Rover Defender.

You probably know there’s a new Defender coming. It’s been a while because the original was extinguished by regulations while Land Rover was too busy engineering other models to make a new one, and had nowhere to build it anyway. That’s all taken care of now, and later this year we’ll see a new model. A few months ago you might have spotted a leaked picture of what’s claimed to be the dashboard. You might have also noticed a hubbub of reaction to it, much of it so misguided that I wanted to walk outside to my old-style Defender and slam my head in the tailgate.

When the new car finally appears I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed, because right now they’re doing the car equivalent of getting Bond wrong. ‘I hope the new Defender is true to its roots,’ they say, but what does that mean? Central steering wheel? Only one colour? Flappy, half-height doors?

I think what they’re really suggesting is that it should be a supreme off-roader like the old one, but that’s not entirely accurate because in its twilight years the original Defender wasn’t even the best off-roader in the Land Rover range. It was good, but it hadn’t got any chops that couldn’t be matched by an air-sprung, traction-controlled Range Rover.

In fact, Solihull people would quietly admit, the surprise off-road star in recent years was the old Range Rover Sport which, having a short wheelbase and modern chassis systems, just needed chunky tyres to show a Defender 90 the way home. In the current range, even the Discovery with its big overhangs and arse like Anne Robinson’s smile is remarkably competent off-road, so you can bet the new Defender will be just fine if you need to drive it up a landslide.

But I don’t think this is all that’s meant by ‘true to its roots’. I think it also suggests a kind of simplicity, which is why people who like getting Bond wrong always seem to use the phrase ‘hose-out interior’. What madness is this? I wouldn’t hose out the interior of my old Defender, because it’s got cloth seats and a stereo. When was the last time anyone hosed out the interior of a car? Have you ever sat in a car that’s been in water? It stinks and then fogs up like a Censored so you crash into the river from which you just escaped. I’m sure the new Defender will be quite rugged and full of artful touches that make it seem outdoorsy, but it’s not going to be bog-basic because that’s not the market it’ll aim at. And this is where people really are getting Bond wrong.

‘Oh no,’ they wail, ‘it’s going to be a “lifestyle” off-roader.’ Well, yes. ‘But,’ they cry, ‘it should be for proper Defender drivers like the army and farmers.’ Now come on people, pay a-frigging-ttention here. The army only bought Defenders because they had to, and now they’ve decided they don’t like bullets coming into the cabin they’re relieved to be ordering more bespoke machines, just as Land Rover is relieved not to be dealing with the arse ache of government tendering processes. As for farmers, they switched to Mitsubishis and Toyotas years ago because they’re more dependable and more affordable.

You can have a Hilux for 20 grand, ex-VAT. The new Defender will not cost that. ‘Well it should,’ splutter Bond-wrongers. Yes, yes, yes, but it can’t. The cheapest model in the current Land Rover range is the Discovery Sport, which starts at a little over £30,000. The new Defender, which will be bigger and built on a fancy platform meant for Range Rovers, can’t undercut that. And why should it when the market for this new car is not a mythical throng of utility workers and cattle herders but, whether you like it or not, suburban families who currently have Discovery 4s and dream of Mercedes G-wagens?

After all, they’re the sort of people who have 45 grand to spend or, more likely, can run to the chunky monthlies on a PCP scheme. This is how Land Rover will survive in these tricky times, by making an expensive car that sells to well-heeled people for more than it costs to make, not by delivering on some deluded 1950s yeomanry fantasy for PC-bound pundits who aren’t going to buy one anyway.

I know nothing about the actual spec of the new Defender, but I’m going to say with confidence, it won’t be cheap, it won’t be basic and it won’t like it at all if you turn a hose on the interior. If you’re holding out for any of that you’re ignoring what will make it sell and what will keep the company making it alive.

So please, come on, for the love of God, stop getting Bond wrong.
 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #792331 12th Sep 2019 7:20am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
That side ladder looks, um... "sturdy".... especially if you were carrying say a jerrycan at the same time.
Post #792332 12th Sep 2019 7:21am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 105 of 351 <123 ... 104105106 ... 349350351>