↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Santorini 90 Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Cake

United Kingdom 
So after 3 weeks of drying while I was I finally got to start.

Day 1:

Remove front grill, bumper and side steps.

Clean everything over and uncover yet more mud!

You wouldn't believe the catch areas around the rear cross member area until you remove the wheel and get right in there.

Remove all surface rust flakes.

Cover all rust in RC 900 and then leave for the rest of the day and night to cure.

Click image to enlarge
Post #545914 4th Jul 2016 11:24am
Cake

United Kingdom 
Day 2:

I did this all at home as my access to garages weren't too happy with underseal over spray so I had to get a little inventive and make cover the car and prevent overspray from getting to the neighbours cars so with some bamboo and dust sheets I created some beautiful looking walls.

Then cover the floor - more than you think as overspray really does go everywhere -I know I know have a nice square patch!

I worked from the back to front with the cavity wax, starting in the arches; spray on the cavity wax as a light coat, leave 40 minutes and then underbody wax.

I'm not a fan of being under a car while jacked up or on stands so I removed the one wheel at a time in the arch I was doing and worked around and forward.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Cake on 11th Jul 2016 12:56pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #545915 4th Jul 2016 11:31am
Cake

United Kingdom 
I was quite pleased with the outcome and it looks great under there now.

Everything was Dinitrol and I have used so far -

1.5 x RC900 (Rust Converter)
7.5 x 3125 (Cavity wax)
7.5 x 4941 (Underbody wax)

I thought It would be one of them jobs when you start you absolutely despise but working in sections you see your hard work making a difference so I actually quite enjoyed it despite starting at 8 and finishing at 6 on the second day.

The clean-up of myself wasn't too difficult either with Fairy liquid over my hands, arms, neck, face and hair; it come off after a 20 minute scrub.

At the end I got under and checked and rechecked under there ensuring I got perfect coverage.

Cavity wax in all the chassis rails I ensured were 100% filled moving along slowly seeing it come from the varying holes as I moved and a nice bit dripping knowing its covered everywhere inside.

Day 3 - all to come this weekend, where I will being the inside bumper, headlights, bulk head and doors.
Post #545918 4th Jul 2016 11:41am
nitram17

Are you planning to take the doors apart to spray them?How olds your truck cake it looks great undermeath...your rear tub wasit painted black or is that the dino......mine is a black 90 and the tub was grey im wondering if its just the undercoat and they forgot to paint mine!
Post #545921 4th Jul 2016 11:49am
Cake

United Kingdom 
nitram17 wrote:
Are you planning to take the doors apart to spray them?How olds your truck cake it looks great undermeath...your rear tub wasit painted black or is that the dino......mine is a black 90 and the tub was grey im wondering if its just the undercoat and they forgot to paint mine!

I sure am - I just couldn't warrant jamming the extension in there with everything that is inside the door.

This thread has how to remove the fronts and hopefully the back will follow most of it too -
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic47232.html

Its a 2012 and there was grey on the tub but I painted everything under there so its all one colour even if the underselaing does nothing for it, at least its all the same colour Smile
Post #545923 4th Jul 2016 11:58am
jk84

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
That is quite some work you've done there sir - hats off Bow down MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
MY16 Santorini 90 HT - sold
Post #545932 4th Jul 2016 12:28pm
nitram17

Cake wrote:
nitram17 wrote:

I sure am - I just couldn't warrant jamming the extension in there with everything that is inside the door.

This thread has how to remove the fronts and hopefully the back will follow most of it too -
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic47232.html

Its a 2012 and there was grey on the tub but I painted everything under there so its all one colour even if the underselaing does nothing for it, at least its all the same colour Smile

iI am on a weeks hols and i had planned a few jobs like wax l the doors fit glyn lewiss rear forward mud shield ,seal the windscreen ....but its bloody raining and the forecast is pants wish i had a garage Big Cry just got a sealey 3 ton trolley jack delivered ....its bloody big Censored !
Post #545947 4th Jul 2016 2:14pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
Exactly like me - rain forecast and then glorious sun all weekend so jumped straight into it.

When jacking up do it on the diff, slide in your axle stands and set her down; then you can do two at one time. I got mine about an inche off the ground so just enough clearance. You will find how insanely heavy those wheels really are!
Post #545977 4th Jul 2016 4:49pm
L110CDL

England 
As JK said, hats off to you sir, what a thorough job you are doing there Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #546679 6th Jul 2016 8:52pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
Thanks L110CDL and JK84 - doing what I can and really enjoying it Smile

More to come this weekend hopefully and then on to the next job Smile
Post #546754 7th Jul 2016 7:25am
Cake

United Kingdom 
Well day 3 come and went easily - Inside bumper, headlights, bulkhead and bottom of the doors sealed.

I didn't do all the door as the intention is to add sound proofing at some point Smile

Car is all back together and most of my efforts are now hidden again!

I replaced the drivers mirror arm following blistering of the paint (surprise, surprise).

I also wanted to replace the end tail pipe section with a shiny stainless system and someone kindly pointed out it is in fact stainless, so after some wire wool and Autosol with relatively little effort so far it looks fantastic!

I also put RC900 on the arm hanger and then coated it in satin black high temp paint to finish it off.

Before:

Click image to enlarge

After:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #547789 11th Jul 2016 12:52pm
jk84

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Blimey, that's shiny! I had to note that down - wire wool and Autosol. Looks great Thumbs Up MY15 Aintree 110 SW - for sale - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic82781.html
MY16 Santorini 90 HT - sold
Post #548080 12th Jul 2016 11:06am
Cake

United Kingdom 
No excuse now - costs about £6 or you can get a new tail pipe section for about £200 with a bit more of aPerfected finish.

I'm more than happy with the finish and effort required Smile

Will be doing it again a couple more times and see what I can eventually get it to look like Smile
Post #548173 12th Jul 2016 4:26pm
L110CDL

England 
Looks like new there Cake Thumbs Up Cant beat a nice shine Bow down 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #548293 12th Jul 2016 8:55pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
Thanks!

Now to think about what the next job will be in the future - Sound proofing or headlining...
Post #548440 13th Jul 2016 11:37am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 6 of 9 <123456789>