Home > My Defender > Santorini 90 Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
Cake

United Kingdom 
Santorini 90 Defender
So time to start showing the Defender journey Smile

Early this year following the shooting season and unbearable traffic I decided that my car at the time being a Nissan 370Z (a 3.7 litre V6 sports coupe) was pretty useless to me driving over speed bumps and sitting in traffic and no longer having time or the courage to take her track anymore.

I always wanted a Defender and even come close to getting one but was put off by family by the usual it's too big, slow, rusts and he'll to drive (yes they were wrong).

So in February I decided a Defender would get the use throughout the year for shooting, offer another two (cramped) seats and carry anything I could throw at it - so time to get one!

Options had to be - a 2010 onward 90 station wagon with low miles and preferably grey or silver.

It took 6 months and several viewings to find one mechanically sound, low miles and no rust. But in the end I found the perfect one.

The drive home was quite different but I quickly realised once above 30 they move very well indeed!

One huge thing people say is the noise - I would disagree, it's not that noisy and no where near as bad as people say.

Of course pictures and lots of updates to follow Smile
Post #475864 24th Nov 2015 7:04pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Congratulations! We do of course insist on lots of photos!
Post #475865 24th Nov 2015 7:11pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
So before I could even get a nice picture I got her straight out to fulfill her purpose of being used more often Smile

The shooting season started and I loaded her and gave her the first taste of mud she has ever had.

I must say I purposely christened her with mud but my god I will not be so hasty again! 4 jet washes later and an off colour driveway and she was back to being clean again!

Where other cars slide and bopped the defender glided over without announce of trouble Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #475974 25th Nov 2015 8:57am
Barney12

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Nice looking 90 Thumbs Up
Can we see some clean photos please Mr. Green
Post #475980 25th Nov 2015 9:16am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Nice. That's ripe for some major (expensive Whistle ) upgrading.....if you so choose of course!! Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #476000 25th Nov 2015 9:50am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Perfect photos! I'm so going to have to take up shooting just as an excuse to get off road!

** 6 seat shoot wagon available for hire ** Rolling with laughter
Post #476001 25th Nov 2015 9:50am
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Congratulations on your first Defender, and joining the brethren....
Your intro describes some of the typical pre-judgement, and how it somehow looks different from the inside. For example, everyone expects a Defender to be noisy and harsh riding. They just arenīt, particularly if you come from a sports car such as your 370 Z. The 90 SW is, however, the quietest of all the Defender versions, as it has a relatively small cabin and a few comfort features as standard (Iīm talking about carpets and a roof liner, for heavenīs sake). It is at a disadvantage on some road surfaces with itīs short wheelbase, but a great improvement on most sportscars in many other situations.

I look forward to more pics and early impressions.

Stephen 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #476011 25th Nov 2015 10:22am
Cake

United Kingdom 
Barney12 wrote:
Nice looking 90 Thumbs Up
Can we see some clean photos please Mr. Green

I have some on their way Smile

I have always cleaned my cars weekly and if I don't and there is dirt even from wind or rain, it drive mad; however with this car it looks completely perfectly clean, slightly dirty or covered in mud Smile

Grenadier wrote:
Nice. That's ripe for some major (expensive Whistle ) upgrading.....if you so choose of course!! Thumbs Up

Oh she has had plenty spent already - more than double I have done with any previous car and only had her a few months!

JOW240725 wrote:
Perfect photos! I'm so going to have to take up shooting just as an excuse to get off road!

** 6 seat shoot wagon available for hire ** Rolling with laughter

Its a perfect excuse - just make sure you keep the dogs out - I have to keep fighting them off Smile
Post #476050 25th Nov 2015 1:20pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
Wild Card 90 wrote:
Congratulations on your first Defender, and joining the brethren....
Your intro describes some of the typical pre-judgement, and how it somehow looks different from the inside. For example, everyone expects a Defender to be noisy and harsh riding. They just arenīt, particularly if you come from a sports car such as your 370 Z. The 90 SW is, however, the quietest of all the Defender versions, as it has a relatively small cabin and a few comfort features as standard (Iīm talking about carpets and a roof liner, for heavenīs sake). It is at a disadvantage on some road surfaces with itīs short wheelbase, but a great improvement on most sportscars in many other situations.

I look forward to more pics and early impressions.

Stephen

I completely agree - 1st gear is appalling but once she's moving then its a pleasure, especially motorways I was so shocked how well it cruises and the torque propels it well enough.

The change in cars hasn't affected me in the slighted, while 0-60 is an additional 10 seconds and not quite as comfortable its a fantastic car to drive - prefect view being high up and square so you can see all corner, as well over the top of traffic in front and the driving position is quite nice despite the centre cubby being low rendering useless as an armrest - a change soon to arrive Smile

All in all the preconceptions and reviews I find harsh - if you sit in any car and look for issues you will find them and yes this isn't a perfect daily driver but no where near what reviewers say. Road noise is no worse than my previous and better than other family cars I have been.

One thing this has that trumps all the others is character, all the little niggles and need to care for the car make it something special that can only go on by giving it plenty of attention and of course a little money.
Post #476054 25th Nov 2015 1:27pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
Next - Security, security, security!

Works out to expensive but much rather that than lose the car.

I don't how others are when they buy their defender but i did find myself waking up in the night and having a check!
Post #476057 25th Nov 2015 1:38pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
The next part of the build is quite boring but she was due a service and also the Oil pump recall, so armed with that information i felt I was due discount in the service as half is carried out under this recall.

You would think it would be easy to negotiate a discount on the price seems as they will be paid by LR for most materials as part of this - think again! it was very difficult.

So after several days of calling round all the big names finally Beadles gave in after going through their service department and managers we finally agreed a price to be carried out their dealership in Sidcup - I had done my research and these look to have a good reputation.

I dropped the car off and I must admit their customer service is far better then others I have been to (Honda and Nissan) as well as the dealership itself.

I even got a taxi to and from the station for free Smile

Despite taking a little longer expected I cant fault them, if they rushed then something might go wrong and its best done right and in the end they did a perfect job and I knew my was in safe hands.

While there i put in a corrosion warranty claim against the windscreen covers and the windscreen corners just above them and the covers where just starting to corrode - not unsightly but give them a year and they would be blistering. While these don't meet the corrosion requirements the worst that can do is say no and i will have to keep an eye and get them done out of my own pocket at some point.
Post #476058 25th Nov 2015 1:41pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
So where next?

I want this to be absolutely perfect - every car i have owned has had a small mark or scratch that niggles at me and is too much to fix reasonably.

So with this car i'm not having it!

First of all a new bumper ordered - just standard - just how i like things.

Second the front air con grill has corroded, shockingly corroded so i ordered an RDX satin black one. Rivets drilled out and new on fitted - perfect!
Post #476061 25th Nov 2015 1:49pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
I'm not a fan of the rear tow bar and have no use for it so off that comes off.

The rear cross member has small bits of rust and started to dull so should be painted, nothing major in anyway but i want this car to be utter perfection.

Hmmmmm the rear cross member needs painting and i want it done right - there's really one choice - Chris at CSK.

So if it goes there its going to be economical to have other bits done at the same time...

So

Rear cross member painted and undersealed sealed
Front grill and headlight surrounds painted Santorini black
Defender bonnet badge added
Rear defender bonnet badge added
Front and rear supercharged oval LR badges added

All i can say about CSK is that i will be returning as they are fantastic, great people doing fantastic work. Chris went above and beyond what i asked to deliver my car exactly right and i will be returning shortly for more work to be carried out. I cannot say i can recommend anyone else highly enough to work on your pride and joy.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #476066 25th Nov 2015 2:03pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
Also i got a ride in this to the station, its only a shot trip but how can you not!

The attention to detail is unreal and the actual drive of it is so much smoother! If you want to know what a map feels like despite everything here that should undo a smother ride, jump in this!

Post #476069 25th Nov 2015 2:07pm
L110CDL

England 
love the thread, cake, look forward to the updates , good looking 90 Thumbs Up
Post #476234 25th Nov 2015 11:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>