↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Santorini 90 Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
L110CDL

England 
Sound proofing first, coz you got to take the headlining out anyway Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #548871 14th Jul 2016 10:03pm
mcma1

Don't use Skinz on the roof.... Mine peeled off due to the heat. This was all I had left Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Re did it with dynamat, thinner and lighter.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Andy

2014 Fuji 110 SW LS3
https://www.defender2.net/forum/post751233.html#751233

2014 Corris 110 SW
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40056.html

My old Xtech 90 build..
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic15681.html

LS3 V8 build...
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic49051.html
Post #548895 14th Jul 2016 11:35pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
Wow! Now that is very surprising!

Thanks for the heads up.

If I do headlining then I will sound proof at the same time.

Will see if any offers for either over the next few months to sway me either way Smile
Post #549537 18th Jul 2016 1:40pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Nice polished pipe... Thumbs Up

From my own sound proofing I've noticed so far the biggest difference is the driver and passenger doors (for sounding better when you shut them)

Also the passenger and driver's seat boxes inside.

I've used 2mm Silent coat so far very easy to use and seems to go a long way, also 6mm closed cell foam on top.

I like the rustproofing, does that black finish stay like that after washes etc? that will be my next job after rust proofing

Thanks
Post #549558 18th Jul 2016 3:19pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
Ah yes I have been following your build thread and seen your epic sound proofing efforts Smile

You have won me over with silent coat and think I will be going the same route.

The doors really are terrible and made worse as you have to close them with a heavier hand compared to a 'normal' car. I really noticed the day when closing it with the window down.

The undersealing should remain black - it isn't rock hard like paint. It's a wax and feels like a soft oily candle is about the best i can describe it. I have heard reports of staining - basically dirt sticking to it to discolour it but not jet washing removing it; but something I am scared to try. Many say to use a standard hose and as strong as you like that way.

It's purposely like this so as stones etc hit them it reseals itself.

If you are Essex/Kent/London based you are more than welcome to have a look so you know what it's like.
Post #549576 18th Jul 2016 5:42pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
Not been on for a while following a new toy taking up all my time having fun, modding and of course adding extra security!

I had the big 4 year service at Taylor's of Dunmow who offered a great price and excellent customer service! I really can't fault them from beginning to end. All oils replaced including brake fluid and keeping her perfect.

Even found one of the wheel nuts started to swell (that's a new one for the defender!) and had that replaced.

Had the wheels balanced again and motorways are bliss, not one bit of vibration now Smile

While the 6 hour service went on I went into Dunmow and checked out the Sacens Jeff hotel which I'm using for our wedding guests next year so made the most of it Smile
Post #584369 12th Dec 2016 9:41am
Cake

United Kingdom 
Of course there always something to fix along get the way and my brilliant Parrot Asteroid Android powered head unit decided to get itself stuck on the clock and thought though it's helpful tonjave thenphone, I don't use the car a lot and I like things stock so I remove don't all my perfectly routed wiring and put the original head unit back and much prefer it!

A nice mess of wiring being removed -

Click image to enlarge
Post #584371 12th Dec 2016 9:46am
Cake

United Kingdom 
The final defenderism of the year - the heated seat stopped working on the drivers side.

Did all the checks and looked to be the rear heating element, so I called LRI and of course it being on the phone the said that would be the likely cause, talked me through how to replaced and had it with me 2 days later. All I can say is that their service and knowledge is excellent even if only spending a small of money with them.

First of all I wired in the new element with the old to prove the theory it would works bad it did Smile

So off with the seat cover and the old element - how on earth they removed it al LRI without damage is beyond me - I cut mine out in pieces to ensure I didn't rip the seat foam.

I also added a hole for the connections to sit in - I do t know if anyone gets the small bulge at the bottom to the back rest butbitbuse to really annoy me!

I got some spray adhesive and pu the new pad in, wired it up and cabled ties the cover back in and tidied all the wiring.

Took her out for spin and got nice and warm in no time Smile

Here's when i tested and fitted -

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #584374 12th Dec 2016 9:55am
Cake

United Kingdom 
I opened a new thread on this here - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic52035.html

But I want to update my build thread so here it is, my latest addition of a Vortex Exhaust system!

I covered everything in the main thread but basically, the axle back section I really liked because its not all bent, some sections are welded and for me it shows there a little more hands on craftsmanship. It moves the tail pipe slightly so it faces backwards and fits perfectly in the notch for the standard one. Then the resonator is replaced with an Eco-Flow Vortex - looks awesome and sitting in there and adds some magic.

I must say that while not earth shattering there is a difference felt in 3rd to 6th gear mid-range and pickup. I was utterly gob-smacked and kept then forcing myself to try again and ensure its not just in my head.

That for me was the best part, id didn't expect this thing to really deliver any performance benefits but it has and now I can cruise along and push my foot down and it actually does it with a bit more sense or urgency (its still a Defender though).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #595862 24th Jan 2017 1:16pm
Cake

United Kingdom 
So finally the big day came - i got hitched.

Of course theres no better car to go in than my own for the wedding so as we are on Defender2 heres a few from the wedding day and the honeymoon in the New Forest Smile

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #626754 25th May 2017 8:20am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Congratulations on your wedding! Let's hope this doesn't stop the spending on the Defender Whistle Wink James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #626814 25th May 2017 12:55pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Congrats! Thumbs Up

And just remember when spending on more bits, forgivness is easier to get than permission!!! YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #626822 25th May 2017 1:15pm
Theater

Italy 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
Congratulations !!! Marco

Defender 110 "SW" SE Galway Green MY 2009
Ex Defender 90 "SW" S Santorini Black MY 2010
Post #626872 25th May 2017 7:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cake

United Kingdom 
Thanks all!!!

Was a brilliant and a nice small trip away.

Defender spending will be down for a while due to other toys...
Post #626936 26th May 2017 8:13am
Cake

United Kingdom 
The car is in the perfect place for me at the minute - all perfect and all LR specification so i'm pretty happy.

Small things like mirror arms were faded so replaced them - a mirror too as I dropped it Evil or Very Mad

I'm quite heavily getting into my biking now and the track racing has kicked off this year alongside my father; so I can make a solid offer of towing the bikes to Brands Hatch.

On a side note i'm doing a massive track bike build soon!

So I have fitted a Land Rover Dixon Bate drop plate tow bar supplied by RST Land Rovers (great knowledge and communication).

One thing that has always bugged me is the tow electrics not being fitted in the correct place!

I soon found why, with it being double layered and a petrol tank in the way but after some modification I got the electrics through and mounted.

Every bolt was set to the correct torque - but my god some were pretty difficult for my weak arms!

Click image to enlarge

So now on to get the new bike built and racing the end of the month hopefully!

Also a service this month with Taylors of Dunmow - their service was fantastic last year and their process cant be beaten either (though still a lot).
Post #648426 5th Sep 2017 12:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 9 <123456789>