↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 84 <123 456 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Couldn't get any Dinitrol, but managed to get some Fertan (A1 Motor Stores in Padiham for anyone in the area Thumbs Up) and even managed to get the pressure washer going, so gave the chassis a good going over with that, rubbed down the surface rust and gave it a going over with the fertan. Hoping to get home early tomorrow afternoon so I can finish it off and drown it in waxoyl.

Even managed to rust proof a small section of the drive thanks to a giddy labrador playing fetch with herself Evil or Very Mad

Cheers for the advice and help chaps! Thumbs Up
Post #134620 26th Mar 2012 9:10pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Warren,

Your welcome for the advice. Did you dampen the area with water before applying the Fertan? It aids penetration. Thumbs Up You can also reactivate what you have already applied by respraying with a water spray bottle with water.
24 or if you have the patience and time 48 hours then treat with coating of your choice waxoyl etc... Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #134629 26th Mar 2012 9:40pm
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
K9F wrote:
. Did you dampen the area with water before applying the Fertan? It aids penetration. Thumbs Up

There's a double entendre in there somewhere LOL, but I did wet the areas before putting the fertan on. Thumbs Up

It was actually quite therapeutic. There were a couple of awkward spots, but got the worst of it.

Quite shocking how many rust patches are showing through on a car that isn't even three years old yet, but hey ho, that's a Defender, and I do have myself to blame I guess as I didn't keep on top of it...
Post #134643 26th Mar 2012 10:21pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Cheers Mal, just come across Fertan, 250ml £11.95 from my Chandlers Thumbs Up Will give it a go and get it cheaper somewhere else Whistle Chandlers prices Rolling Eyes
Post #134718 27th Mar 2012 9:13am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

Welcome Zag! Usually we (in the marine industry where I work) use the Fertan and then give a coating of Rustoleum or International branded paint. I did the anchor I salvaged Boxing Day and it's come up a treat. As explained it stands up to the rigours and harsh seawater environment very well. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #134823 27th Mar 2012 6:05pm
Phil VM2.5

Belgium 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
thanks
hi,
I will tanks very much for the time and works that it have take for this Corrosion Prevention Guide !
I try always to protect my LR when new, my last one is a rrc from 1992 and 475.000 km and I will be the owner of the last model of defender , approx 2 or 3 months to wait Big Cry
regards,
Philippe current : defender 110 sw 2.2 puma 2012 and 230.000km today and
again my Range Rover VM2.5 engine from 1992 and 528.000km today.

One ten 1988 to 1992
1987 BMW GS80
One Ten from 1984 to 1987
One Ten from 1983 to 1984
Serie 3 109 from 1980 to 1983
from 1974 Jeep CJ3B and CJ6
Post #135063 28th Mar 2012 2:48pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Welcome to the forum Philippe Thumbs Up The wait will soon pass Wink Nice to look forward to it Very Happy

K9 I'll marry her next time around, barefoot and pregnant and all that, well barefoot anyway Wink Laughing
Post #135076 28th Mar 2012 4:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
K9F

Zagato wrote:
K9 I'll marry her next time around, barefoot and pregnant and all that, well barefoot anyway Wink Laughing

You'll regret it I promise! But I'll still give you the £50k either way you'll need it!!! Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #135114 28th Mar 2012 5:39pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
scamp wrote:
I have already ascertained that there are far more intelligent members on this forum Bow down so please treat me kindly if my question appears a little stupid. Whistle

Has anyone ever tried using a sacrificial anode to prevent / reduce electrolytic (galvanic) corrosion of the aluminium panels?

Not me, but would be worth looking into. I found a lot of interesting info about that sort of thing on the net when looking up rust prevention a few years ago.

I seem to remember a company in Aus doing it, but I think it might have been for steel rather than ali. There was an electronic box to buy IIRC

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #135129 28th Mar 2012 6:26pm
50H

I've used OGL (open gear lubricant) from these people:

http://www.chemodex.co.uk/store/index.php?...eyword=OGL

who also do various waxes. The OGL won't wash off and DO NOT trail it into the house, this instantly brings on lumpy head syndrome. Embarassed

H.
Dinosaurs still rule the World.
Post #142103 27th Apr 2012 2:09pm
K9F

Rot!

I had both cappings stripped, treated and repainted 12 months ago under warranty. 12 months later the rot has returned and I have bubbling paintwork. Initially Westover Land Rover stated that paintwork has a three year warranty and I wouldn't be covered. I then sprung the fact that their bodyshop had done the rework once already less than 12 months ago and the paint would not be bubbling were it not for the fact the capping is rotting from within. Well I then visited their workshop and spoke with Steve the manager. They are very tied by Land Rover by what they are and are not allowed to do with regards to an effective repair. Several things sprung to mind, the rust treatment they use is automotive and rubbish, by shamfering off the sharp edges and possibly filling after treatment the paint would have more to adhere to, the air, moisture and dirt wouldn't get in and hopefully the repair will last a bit longer. Whilst not wishing to sound smug or explain to him how to do his job we have 'reached a compromise' where I shall supply the rust treatment, he will do a more effective repair and I shall pay a 'goodwill jesture' for getting it done right! I like compromise.....especially where both provider and customer are happy. Pinched your picture Zag....Thank you.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #153784 5th Jul 2012 6:24pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
i thought it was 6 years corrosion warranty Sad
Post #153789 5th Jul 2012 6:48pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
It's bare metal under the capping's from new unfortunately Rolling Eyes All of the 60 plate ones from new in the dealerships I looked at had brown rust staining already. Mine was sorted with ACF-50 and Dinitrol Very Happy Although a PITA the cappings can always be taken off and galvanised (but ACF/Din does the job), it's the front bonnet hinges where they are welded to the bulkhead to keep doused in ACF-50, if they go it's a major messy job Shocked

Steve look at LR main site about the 3 & 6 year warranty difference - not worth bothering with Rolling Eyes
Post #153796 5th Jul 2012 7:02pm
K9F

bpman wrote:
i thought it was 6 years corrosion warranty Sad

It is....6 years corrosion....3 years paintwork.... Thumbs Up That's why if you see bubbling it is important to get it assessed before the paint comes off. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #153814 5th Jul 2012 8:04pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I am looking at replacing the shabby LR door bolts, cross member bolts, bumper bolts etc with stainless steel fittings. I am guessing that there are varying quality stainless fittings available on the market. Last thing I want to do is remove the LR bolts and put on someting of poor quality or not fit for the job. Anyone got any recommendations for top quality fixings?

I was looking at these from Flatdog http://www.flatdoguk.com/search.asp?types=...+Bolt+Kits

Any tips and advice gratefully received Bow down Proud owner 110 Utility XS
Ex RR Sport HST V8
Ex Td5 90
Post #158959 31st Jul 2012 5:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 84 <123 456 ... 828384>