↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 84 of 84 <123 ... 828384
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Question about painted steel wheels. How do I prevent corrosion starting the joint between the rim and the centre? I’m think squirt ACF50 in and wipe off the excess after washing/cleaning. But, I won’t be able to thoroughly dry the joint, so will this trap moisture in and make it worse? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1020838 11th Jan 2024 7:50pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
What about something like captain Tollys to fill the void, then acf50?
Post #1020888 12th Jan 2024 7:16am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
It's a really tricky problem for all unless you can acid dip them EFFECTIVELY which is why you see the rust coming back through on steel wheels within a year or two. Most blast but as you say you cannot get into the seams properly and the blast material of your choice can get jammed in the crevice. ACF-50 is no good for this application as you cannot paint over it and if you wipe it off the area, it will carry on corroding. An acid rust converting application of your choice after getting as much rust off as possible is your only real option. I wouldn,t recommend any hard coating that claims to stop rust, it doesn't, it just traps it underneath whilst continuing to rot. I have a wheel rim here off an old SAAB which has completely rotted through Shocked in one area and it was being driven on the road until I bought it as 40 year old cars don't need an MOT Rolling Eyes

Picture of one of the holes whilst the rim was separating from the inner wheel!

Click image to enlarge
Post #1020901 12th Jan 2024 11:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bluest

In my case it will be brand new wheels I want to treat. I have a 2 year old car (10k miles) and the dealer has just agreed to replace all 4 wheels under warranty with new ones, that is due to corrosion on the original wheels originating in the joint between the rim and centre portion. It's likely the new ones will rust just as quick if left. What I was hoping to do is treat brand new wheels with something that will creep into the joint and slow or stop the rust before it develops.

All 4 wheels being replaced are like in the photo below.

Click image to enlarge
 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1020905 12th Jan 2024 11:57am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Yes ACF-50 perfect Thumbs Up Yes you must dry the seam first after washing. DO YOU NEED to wash it with water!? I cleaned my stripped down fourty year old SAAB and didn,t get water anywhere near it. It's taken years however, a grease remover and power wash was so tempting at times.

If your wheels are new then just wipe the area first then apply ACF-50. You could however put some white spirits or even ACF-50 on a clean rag then wipe clean! If you must use water then use your wife's hairdryer or fan heater but I wouldn,t.

If there is no corrosion Fuchs Pro Prep has a high silicon content which is why it is expensive compared to GT-85 etc and is clear and smart for other areas. Use ACF-50 on your wheels seam however.

As an aside I sprayed my brand new trailer sailer wheels, which get dipped in sea salt when launching in Dinitrol Clear Coat and they are still rust free. Don,t do this on your car wheels though! Not quite smart enough for a car wheel as it I should opaque.

Below pic... Cleaned largely with white spirits before the respray. Painstaking job over the years with picks, toothbrushes etc. It hasn't seen water in 14 years and hopefully never will.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1020906 12th Jan 2024 12:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bluest

Thanks Zagato. I'll give ACF50 a go. I'm not sure how I'll get on cleaning the wheels without water. Also, the car is kept outside and used daily, so it'll very often be wet just from the weather. I currently use Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels to clean brake dust off, but that requires a water rinse.

Just a thought, could I use WD40 to chase out the water, followed by ACF50? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1020914 12th Jan 2024 1:08pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Seam to have a stream of early Golfs coming in recently, good little cars.

Click image to enlarge

Also local works vehicles. Owners are realising the value in preserving what they have and avoiding the dis-proportionate cost of replacing with new!

Click image to enlarge

Nice to see Rob (Def 130 and his son), great, genuine guys, hard working and still carrying an infectious smile through life Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Apologies to 'AdamGT3' from here and others for missing pictures of your cars. Always nice to meet Adam Thumbs Up

Aluminium "floorpan" on these electric monsters, in for protection as it Is corroding already! Wink 80k new, client recently bought for 20k Shocked

Click image to enlarge
Post #1021501 17th Jan 2024 11:05am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
If you have a 110, buy a reinforcing bracket for the rear mudlflap (various types available - Google!) I am seeing a lot of rear wings chewed away by the existing bracket weak point.

Click image to enlarge

Also treat your wiper spigots with ACF-50 or similar regularly and replace worn rubbers as many coming into to me are now rusting!

Click image to enlarge
Post #1021512 17th Jan 2024 12:02pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I’ve found ACF 50, is an excellent product but doesn’t play well with rubber so just be careful it doesn’t get all over the place. In the right places it’s excellent, but do be careful with it.
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1021541 17th Jan 2024 4:44pm
L110CDL

England 
You don't see many of those Lexus SC 's around much nowadays, nice to see that it's being looked after Very Happy thank you for the pic's Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1021720 18th Jan 2024 10:24pm
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
I have been using this on my wolf wheels for past two years and seems to be holding back the rust.

https://bilthamber.com/product/atom-mac/

The best bit is it can be applied while the wheels are still wet after cleaning.
Post #1021777 19th Jan 2024 4:19pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Apologies to all. I have been very lapse about taking pics recently...

Two similar colour examples, one complete with period correct tapes and shell suit! Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Very nice example. Now protected throughout the body and inside/outside the chassis etc with quality Dinitrol products (not simple Lanoguard glue folks, don't be fooled! Coating rust in glue will NOT stop it. You have to treat the rust first properly, then apply quality products on top that will seal and last and not allow moisture to be trapped underneath in time!!).

Click image to enlarge
Post #1029127 24th Mar 2024 10:19am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1029128 24th Mar 2024 10:28am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Family Defenders, one out, one in. Td5 in VERY nice condition, hoping the same for the 110

Click image to enlarge
Post #1029803 30th Mar 2024 9:48am
Muddybigdog

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Zagato wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Zagato you are an artist, looks amazing Jumped ship to reliability - Mitsubishi L200
Puma 90 XS - Sold
D3 - 2.7 S x2 (both Sold)
Freelander 2 HSE - Sold
Freelander 1 - Sold
Disco 2 - Sold
Post #1029809 30th Mar 2024 10:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 84 of 84 <123 ... 828384