↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 77 of 84 <123 ... 767778 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
My Defender is predominately on road but I live out in the sticks so in the winter the roads are just awash with mud. It does occasionally got up a farm track or across a field but not serious green lanes.

Currently the chassis only has light surface rust in a few places. I'd like to keep it that way.

I've used Dinitrol before on a road car but I did not keep it long enough to know how well the coating lasted.

Surely any of the coatings all have the same problems? They mask any corrosion, eventually wear off, trap cr@p against the chassis causing more corrosion, are very difficult to remove, etc.
Post #964157 6th Sep 2022 12:53pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
i will have to respond properly later Steveww, I wish I could call you to explain once again and hopefully make it clearer, typing is so time consuming whilst trying to work. It sounds that you want to put something on that will solve the problem for many years. Your ACF-50 won,t last long without a protective layer. I suggest if you only have slight surface rust which is great news use Corroheat Clear on top as already mentioned. Marvellous stuff. If you prep it, treat it and coat it there is nothing more you can do. With 'clear' you can keep an eye on it and re treat when necessary. As said its not rock hard permanently trapping in corrosion/moisture and it will wear away naturally as said but is not hard to remove if you need to. It doesn't get better than that I'm afraid. LR chassis simply have a porous mat black paint directly over the steel, no primer, so you cannot stop it completely BUT you can slow it down for decades without any serious rot at all. The chassis was rusting before the body was put on!

I have examples I did over ten years ago from new with slight surface rust from new that are still in the same condition. These however are road only vehicles. Going off-road/lanes, long grass etc and filling up the chassis with crud, water etc will take its toll on the chassis and it will need attention I would suggest every 4-5 years in areas. Pays to do it long term.

Good luck. Thumbs Up
Post #964159 6th Sep 2022 1:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the offer of a beer and chat Steveww. Steve is going to use Dinitrol Clear Thumbs Up

When ever is see a Defender, I have to talk to the owner. This one was on my school run a couple of years ago and has finally come in with no previous treatment. Still good as it's only done 27K and just sits in a farm yard and is occasionally used to tow a harrow. These 65 plate white ones are a mystery, once again no bubbling/corrosion in all the usual places on the body despite being left outside. She is mint body corrosion wise BUT sadly neglected. Crying or Very sad not even a polish to protect her paint which is becoming chalky . Crying or Very sad

Click image to enlarge
Post #964741 12th Sep 2022 1:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Minch90

United Kingdom 
Steve
Was in your position a couple of years ago, gave mine a vv good clean, let it dry and then Fertan’d anything with any rust and inside the box sections. When that had dried it was coated in Lanoguard, which gave it a satisfying black finish. Quick top up each year and all looks fab. So this has worked for me with a similar use to you 👍 2.4TDCI 90 - everyday brilliance
S3 V8 Lightweight - in the garage being ignored #newchassistime
S3 lightweight - 2nd car 24V fire risk with a full tilt and the windscreen down
S1 80" - first car fun - 75mph in neutral downhill once #wobblesallround
Post #964748 12th Sep 2022 2:10pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
A selection of vehicles done with Dinitrol clear coat and black 4941 Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

More to come with underside pictures of clear coat... mycomputer is on strike!
Post #971296 16th Nov 2022 11:18am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This was very nice. Jon has owned this from new Cool

Click image to enlarge

This is his daily drive... also very nice.

Click image to enlarge
Post #971300 16th Nov 2022 11:29am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Transporter with upgraded suspension as it will live in the Highlands of Scotland with Dinitrol clear coat.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

More Opaque than clear... excellent stuff, your not just spraying a glue!! Everything covered here and can go on anything really hot, including common rails. Don't be fooled by clear products currently getting massive misleading advertising exposure! Excuse the drips, classic and new cars are coated more carefully, this is plastered on for endurance not appearance.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Zagato on 16th Nov 2022 12:05pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #971302 16th Nov 2022 11:32am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
As an aside look at the corrosion on the wheel arch of this three year old Maclaren... shocking. Two cars the same on the wheel arches.

Click image to enlarge
Post #971308 16th Nov 2022 11:45am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
This has presence with "banded wheels", air lift, re map, soundproofing, cameras, etc, and then there is the interior Cool

Click image to enlarge
Post #971803 20th Nov 2022 3:28pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Exported to Australia this proper expedition vehicle gave me some nice red sand for my tomatoes! It's in really nice condition due to the climate in Oz, was previously undersealed in Germany, has come to me and now it's owner is taking her up Scotland to extend its travels. Oh and that is a GPS location gizmo on the snorkel.

Click image to enlarge
Post #973441 5th Dec 2022 10:41am
Bazarre13

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Indus Silver
Thanks for bringing his (Gandy's) underbody rust protection up-to-date Chris and very nice to meet you.

Looking forward to putting some miles (kms) on him around the UK and Europe. Scandinavia, Faroe Islands and Iceland are also on the menu, as is a 4WD driving course to ensure I know how to use all the extras (fitted and still to come). Gwyn Lewis full mud shields being my first installation.

I'll also get a page setup to introduce him to the forum properly and will inevitably be asking for a lot of advice as a Defender newbie.

Cheers
Barry Bazarre13
Learning to live with a Defender in London
MY2016 110 XS SW Black Pack in Indus Grey
Post #973444 5th Dec 2022 11:02am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Best wishes on your travels Barry Thumbs Up

Couple of Discoveries fighting the minus temperatures this morning Very Happy

Click image to enlarge
Post #974833 16th Dec 2022 10:13am
Waiteu2

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Had my 2015 90 for about a year and notice the underside has deteriorated in that time.
Previous owner looks to have used Waxoyl or something similar.
Looks to be surface rust only but cant really be sure until the waxoyl is off.
Whats the process for removal? Just get it on a lift and power wash or something more industrial.

Goal then is to get it booked in for the full treatment!

Regards.
Craig
Post #975890 28th Dec 2022 6:08pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Hi Chris. Have you done a new defender yet and if so any recommendation on products to use?
Post #977532 11th Jan 2023 6:59am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Hello mate Thumbs Up

Most definitely Dinitrol Corroheat 4010 as shown on the brand new VW Transporter a few posts back... (but without the drips as explained in the post ((plastered on thick for the Highlands not appearance)) and of a new Jimney below.

Corroheat does not bubble, peel, go yellow and is not just a glue, like a product being advertised widely at the moment which in time in an absolute ###to get off!

Corroheat has been used for many years now on new cars, classics, and even on the outside upper bodies of road gritters, airport plane steps, marine engines, trailer wheels that get dipped into the sea etc as it is a clear, smart opaque finish that dries hard and is tough.

There are many pics of mint classic cars, mint Japanese imports and brand new cars on here which I have done. Once done it also lasts a very long time. It's not cheap BUT there is a reason for that... it is excellent.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #977542 11th Jan 2023 9:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 77 of 84 <123 ... 767778 ... 828384>