Home > My Defender > Lizzy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
steveww

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Bronze Green
Dinnu wrote:
Just in case you want to consider exhaust temperature and dpf soot load ☺️
I think on a 2.2 the exhaust temperature can be a bit alarming during regen... but I know that for a diesel it is the ‘life’ of the engine. Dpf soot load would interest me as I do regular short trips as no motorways locally, but from soot load would know when I need to take corrective actions either in driving habit or to consider an forced regen before it gets too late.

Looks very promising Thumbs Up

EGT should be easy enough, there is an OBD PID for this.
DPF soot load is a bit more challenging, my research into the PID for this has been sketchy.
Post #944561 4th Mar 2022 12:48pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Thank you for your reply. Regarding soot load, I have used Car Scanner through a cheap wif ELM327. I could read my dpf load at 40%. I do not know how accurate that was.
But your solution is so much better, because I never want to go through the trouble of connecting my phone to the ELM327 for the sake of using a dashboard. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #944569 4th Mar 2022 1:56pm
steveww

Changed the engine oil this afternoon. I've done this before on previous classic cars I've owned. One bonus with the Defender is I don't have to jack it up to get at the sump plug and filter. I was expecting the rush of oil when removing the sump plug, I caught all of it except one small dribble. I was not expecting deluge when removing the filter, which took at lot of effort to unscrew; fortunately I have a special tool for this. After refilling, it's very difficult to read the clear oil on the dip stick. So far 6.3 litres is on the centre.

I have discovered another essential tool for working on Defenders. Being of average height this comes in very handy.

Click image to enlarge

Work is progressing slowly on the ODB display. Real work is getting in the way. I'm waiting for a display and case to be delivered to finish the prototype. Stay tuned...
Post #946661 22nd Mar 2022 7:41pm
L110CDL

England 
Yes that last tool helps alot Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #946931 24th Mar 2022 9:03pm
steveww

A great weekend camping in the Cotswolds.

Click image to enlarge
Post #954039 30th May 2022 8:18am
steveww

Following on from https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic48682.html I decided to give it a go. I don't find my Defender too noisy apart from the rattle of the diesel. I purchased https://www.dodomat.com/collections/sound-...-pro-black and https://www.dodomat.com/collections/thermo...-liner-pro and set to work.

Click image to enlarge

Lots of cutting and sticking and the dead mat was installed. Next up I trimmed to acoustic liner to size and fitted it.

Click image to enlarge

As you can see I took the bonnet off the car and worked on the bench in my workshop. Much easier than trying to do everything upside-down. While I was in there I also added dead mat to the heater intake. When it's tapped it rings like a bell and it goes straight into the cabin. I wanted to do this on the bench too but an AC pipe gets in the way of removing it. However, I managed to work around this and completed the job with it in place.

Click image to enlarge

I did a test run this morning. The top of the AC pump and an AC hose rubs slightly.

So the big question does it make a difference? Yes it does. While it's still not at Rolls Royce levels of refinement the engine noise has been reduce from a clatter to a rumble. I can't believe how much difference it makes given that it's outside the cabin. Of course I can now hear the tyre roar and transmission whine more clearly now. I'm just waiting for Wrights Off Road matting to do the rear of the cabin, it has factory fit front matting.
Post #955676 16th Jun 2022 10:56am
steveww

To save the AC clutch cable I've routed it under the cowling.

Click image to enlarge
Post #955723 17th Jun 2022 8:54am
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Thanks for the soundproofing info, I'm getting a bit obsessed with quieting mine which is a bit foolish considering it's a defender!

Have got the engine bay next on the list and had not considered the air con inlet.. So the list just got a bit longer!
Post #955765 17th Jun 2022 5:32pm
steveww

A quick, low cost and easy to do sound upgrade.

With Lizzy being not quite as noisy, I've done a quick tweak to the sound system. She has an Alpine CD head unit, I'll be swapping this out for a DAB unit later, with Rockford speakers and matching Alpine Sub. Rather than swap out the speakers, which I think are OK. I've done a little mod that I've used on others cars to good effect in the past.

I purchased a couple sheets of https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/acoustic-insulation/8814557
Other similar products are available, I have a trade account with RS. Each sheet was cut in half length ways. Each half was folded to 1/3 size. Remove the four screws holding in the speaker then stuff the folded padding into the speaker hole and give it a bit of a fluff. Replace the speaker.

Good results. The damping of the space behind the speak sharpens up the sound. Ideally the panel that the speaker mounts into should be made stiffer but... It's a Defender.
Post #956190 22nd Jun 2022 9:32am
steveww

Now that I've improved the soundproofing with the bonnet, next up is the cabin. I did not want to go with the usual multiple layer system of damping pads, closed cell foam, rubber mat/carpet. My Defender is a regular dog taxi for my two Labradors. I want the ability to remove everything so I can clean out all the cr@p, dog hair and other random detritus. I decided to go with http://www.wrightoffroad.com they supply 8' x 4' sheets which can be cut to size as required. I will need 2 sheets to do what I want.

Last night I did the rear passenger foot well and the rear load area. I used the old thin rubber matting as a template and cut the new sheets with a Stanley knife with a new blade. It's tuff stuff requiring several passes with the knife to cut through. It's surprisingly heavy stuff.

Click image to enlarge

Next up is the wheel arches. I'll use the old thin matting to cut up for templates before cutting the rest of the matting.

I'll post an update with the results.
Post #958120 13th Jul 2022 9:01am
andy2111

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Would love to hear what difference this makes to noise levels and the booming sound that can come from the rear of the truck
Post #958254 14th Jul 2022 7:47am
steveww

I had to pop out and pick up some feed yesterday afternoon. The new matting has made a difference, not as big as doing the bonnet but it's definitely quieter now. There's a lot less transmission noise and a reduction in engine noise. The main noise now is tyre roar, I'll be doing the rear wheel arches soon which should cut that down quite a bit. Of course the penalty is that I can hear all the rattles now.

Note: In the rear load area on top of the mat I have a soft closed cell rubber mat about 10mm thick, then a cotton floor mat on top of that. My dogs need their comfort and the cotton mat traps a lot of water, remember I have Labradors; they love a swim or a muddy puddle.
Post #958255 14th Jul 2022 8:28am
steveww

During the recent heatwave we had 38C here. I went into the garage last night to start making the templates for the soundproofing on the rear wheel arches. Unfortunately the high temperate has caused a tin of wood preserver to explode all over the front of Lizzy Censored I must admit a little tear did form when I first saw it. Rather than making templates I spent 4 hours carefully scraping off wood preserver from the paintwork. Fortunately the product is designed to soak into wood so it just sat on the surface of the paint, it did not really adhere to it.

I've now got most of it off, I'm sure I'll be find little spots I've missed for many months to come.

My wife had a very philosophical view, she said "On Tuesday evening somebody won £192M on the lottery, you had a tin of wood preserver explode on the Defender, other people lost everything in a wild fire and there's still a war in Europe".
Post #959103 21st Jul 2022 2:13pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
steveww wrote:
Changed the engine oil this afternoon. I've done this before on previous classic cars I've owned. One bonus with the Defender is I don't have to jack it up to get at the sump plug and filter. I was expecting the rush of oil when removing the sump plug, I caught all of it except one small dribble. I was not expecting deluge when removing the filter, which took at lot of effort to unscrew; fortunately I have a special tool for this. After refilling, it's very difficult to read the clear oil on the dip stick. So far 6.3 litres is on the centre.

I have discovered another essential tool for working on Defenders. Being of average height this comes in very handy.

Click image to enlarge

Work is progressing slowly on the ODB display. Real work is getting in the way. I'm waiting for a display and case to be delivered to finish the prototype. Stay tuned...

Re reading the dipstick. See https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic79934...t=dipstick
Post #959132 21st Jul 2022 5:33pm
steveww

Even though it's summer and we have light evenings, I've fitted some new LED headlights to Lizzy. When I purchased her she already had LED headlights, the dip beam was not too bad but main beam was just a slightly brighter version of dip; there was not much distance to the beam. They were E marked but no branding on them, I'm guessing some Chinese clones from fleaBay.

I've now fitted Vision X Vortex units from TMD.

https://tmdtuning.com/shop/defender-led-he...full-halo/

Click image to enlarge

Much better beam pattern on dip with a wider spread than before. Main beam now has a proper range. Roll on those dark winter evenings.
Post #959602 26th Jul 2022 4:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>