↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Corrosion Prevention Guide!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 70 of 84 <123 ... 697071 ... 828384>
Print this entire topic · 
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Come on James. Get it booked in Whistle

Nice update Chris. It’s always good to see what you are doing Thumbs Up
Post #903370 16th May 2021 9:42am
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Thanks for the write up Chris Very Happy I've always tried to keep as much of the original/stock look as i can and not stray away to far Shocked
looking forward to having her back on the drive this weekend Very Happy and prep for the upcoming Adventure Overland Show and hopefully overland trip Mr. Green
although she looks pretty happy with some of her own kind on your drive.

James, Chris knows his onions and from what I've seen does an awesome bespoke first class job, which is the reason i travelled almost an 8 hour round trip to drop it off Bow down 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #903428 16th May 2021 4:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I will second that bear100. Took mine from Norfolk to Chris couple of years back. Couldn’t of been happier with the service or results Thumbs Up
Post #903433 16th May 2021 4:34pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
+2 as I am very happy that Chris has done my two Pumas - one from <1k miles and the other had been used a little more at about 17k miles and he used a slightly different process on each after discussion and very happy with both - would use again even though it's a significant round trip for me Thumbs Up Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #903438 16th May 2021 4:54pm
Andy T

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
Yes I've just booked my 3rd one in with Chris. Wouldn't trust anyone else Very Happy 2011 2.4 White 110 CSW LHD
1998 300TDi Wolf TUM
2015 2.2 Corris Grey 90
2009 2.4 Alaska White 110 Commercial - gone
2006 TD5 Barolo Black 90 - gone
1995 TD5 Green 90 - gone
1984 2.25 Marine Blue 88
Post #903462 16th May 2021 7:56pm
L110CDL

England 
[quote="Rashers"]Come on James. Get it booked in Whistle

I'm with Rashers on this one James Wink 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #903648 17th May 2021 8:45pm
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Great to meet you earlier Chris, will be in touch shortly to book her in Thumbs Up
Post #913675 22nd Jul 2021 10:21pm
BRUNEL1

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Fuji White
ACF-50
I was about to buy some ACF-50 when I came across this test of it against various competitors done by Bennetts Bike. Worth a look:

Post #922374 22nd Sep 2021 3:01pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Yes this old video does crop up from time to time, I am a biker so know Bennetts and the "journalist" from their review videos. Just come back riding in Scotland which is why this is a late reply, apologies. This is a test on blockers, ACF-50 is also a rust stabiliser for existing rust!!

Apart from this being a test done unscientifically in a blokes shed he is comparing ACF-50 and other products purely as a rust preventative blocker I.e. A simple barrier against water and worse salt. ACF-50 although it comes out well in the test actually stabilises existing corrosion for a year,(and that is the whole point for Defender owners)and it does this it could be argued better than acid converters e.g. Ku-rust, Fertan, Jenolite etc (these all have a similar ratio of acid 6-9% roughly in either a water based solution, glue epoxy solution or gel solution). As said so many times before acid converters only work if you get the rust off back to good metal, I.e. Every little rust worm etc. Acid converters do not soak into rust and on Defenders the rust in the welds, in between seams etc can be tricky to get at. Once the Acid convertor is dry it's done. With ACF-50 the rust is actively attacked and stabilised for a year and then it just REALLY slows any rust action down.

So as a barrier against corrosion there maybe tougher products that will stick and stay on that have a different make up. ACF-50 is an active ingredient designed to block the action of electrolysis between two different "metal/alloy" types on planes. It was found it was really effective against stabilising corrosion also. I have put some on my old SAAB just the once and it has stabilised that rust completely and the clock continues to count on year seven when I did it. This however is under the bonnet and not open to the elements. I say to all my clients to spray ACF-50 in all the relevant places like under the rear tub cappings (those horizontal strips under the rear windows or panel if you have a hard top. Are your weld points rusting yet, most will be) at least once a year to stabilise any rust underneath unseen (they are bare metal, no primer even on assembly) your GT85, WD-50 etc will be pretty useless for this purpose. The test you see is relevant to bikers as a blocker but not Defender owners, you have Dinitrol etc for that, what you need to control is the rust that was on Defenders from new from the factory. ACF-50 is ideal for this 😉

As a biker who rides through winter, the best thing to do with ACF-50 is apply at least three layers, don't paint it on, plaster it on and allow a day inbetween each coat so it goes on thick and builds up. I don,t wash my bike every time I go out in the rain it's just not practical to do three or four times a week when I see my mates for morning coffee. The bike may look disgusting but underneath all that muck is a nice clean, shiny bike protected by ACF-50 😉

As an aside forget GT-85 it basically WD-40 with a tiny amount of silicone in it, horrible stuff, gets everywhere and stinks... it' cheap for a reason BETTER is FUCHs Pre Prep, 3 times the price but has a high silicon content so it lasts and is great to use and live with. A very good barrier for your bike 😉 FUCH's on your shiny bits and ACF-50 underneath where it doesn't show so much.
Post #922872 26th Sep 2021 4:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BRUNEL1

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Fuji White
Thank you for such a comprehensive and informed reply Chris, it’s much appreciated
Post #922877 26th Sep 2021 4:57pm
ForeignCartographer

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Arles Blue
Hi Chris,

Thanks for all the detailed info. When you rust-proof someones Landy, how many years is that good for? And do they just need to top up with ACF-50 once a year or so?

Cheers
Ben
Post #924264 3rd Oct 2021 5:19pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
According to Dinitrol, as a very rough guide 4941 lasts between 2-4/5 years depending on use. This is similar to other products like Bilt Hamber. E.g. If you are wading a lot, going over thick scrub etc it will wear down quicker. It also depends on how rusty the vehicle was prior to use. The Defenders I have done from new and have just been used on the street are still good after 6 years. A couple of times a year on the body parts is fine for ACF-50 to answer your question.

I continue to read that some products like Raptor, some hard Buzzweld products etc stop rust, they don't, they just trap it in. I recently called one company that has a new high profile at the moment who insisted that there products stop rust, ( a trailer being painted with the product in the rain as an advert and say it stops rust. IT DOES NOT... of course it just stops rust coming through. It was designed as a rock hard covering for the rear of flat bed trucks!) The worse thing you can do is cover your vehicle in these rock hard products, they just trap it in and make it near impossible to re treat the rust in the future. I have seen corrosion brown staining coming through a Raptor product within 8 months of being treated by another VERY well known company who quoted £600 for the job but wouldn't let the vehicle go unless £1000 was paid because they said it need more work. No prep was done at all! If you Google enough the sharks are easily uncovered!! Just because they blanket advertise in magazines, social media etc and have glamorous websites, it does not represent professionalism but rather their desire to make money as quickly as possible and simply cover up the necessary work. It's a real shame as these products are ruining vehicles that could have survived many years with the proper work ethic and treatments.

Apologies but so many people are being taken in by websites and a sales pitch. The truth is you cannot stop rust in seams, welds etc and nooks and crannies where you cannot get tools into which the Defender chassis has many of BUT if prepped and treated properly you can really effectively slow the corrosion down and importantly have access in the future to re treat particular areas as they won't be covered in a rock hard coating.

Another curse that I am seeing a few of now is a thin clearish product, sprayed on in a patchy amateur way. I don,t want to say what is is but you may guess. It is advertised as being effective for a year and cost effective. The trouble is, it largely leaves a residue of glue that has a patchy rough surface with bubbling pockets behind and you cannot get this damn stuff off easily, it simply hinders future treatments. Sorry a real rant but there are so many corrupt people out their making easy money out of naive customers and the real shame is that they are wrecking vehicles in the process. They just don't care about the vehicles.

Some happy pics to change the vibe Wink these vehicles have the body parts protected not just the chassis, VERY important on a Defender!

Williams 190bhp!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Zagato on 3rd Oct 2021 7:36pm. Edited 4 times in total
Post #924274 3rd Oct 2021 6:30pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Once again apologies for those I have not taken pictures of...

Click image to enlarge

Getting them done from new is the real key to all this...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #924276 3rd Oct 2021 6:41pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And something electric Shocked

Click image to enlarge
Post #924278 3rd Oct 2021 6:52pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Jimney anyone...in clear coat Dinitrol.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I will take some pictures of the underside of the current Defender I am working on tomorrow 👍
Post #924281 3rd Oct 2021 7:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 70 of 84 <123 ... 697071 ... 828384>