↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 338 of 351 <123 ... 337338339 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
DSL

United Kingdom 
It does make a very pleasant change paying only £150 a year car tax for Skippy instead of £500odd that I was shelling out for the D3 and D4, and both for a few years. Mr. Green Mr. Green
Post #901877 7th May 2021 11:22am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Car buyers are easy targets. Just look at the new 'Malus' tax in France (an apparently 'eco/pollution/green' tax) which is set at a level that almost exclusively targets foreign premium brands/models. Most 'normal' french buyers will buy a 1.9l model from one of the big three (Citroen, Renault, Peugeot - or 3.5 if you include the pretend Renaults from Dacia) so will not be taxed at an exorbitant rate. A 1.9tdci Scenic will be hit for 350€.

Anyone who drives a 4cyl 2l engine or larger, the preserve of foreign premium or prestige brands, will be hit by a lump sum tax at the point of purchase, that could be as much as 30k€. Purely political decision, as a 3cyl 1.9 diesel will likely be dirtier and no more economical than its larger 4cyl petrol cousin. A basic model Audi TFSi 2l will be liable for a 7,000€ hit. Difference in emissions? 40g CO2/km more, but arguably cleaner petrol rather than dirty diesel.

In this example, the first 145g are being taxed at a rate of approx 2€/g whereas the next 40 are being taxed at a rate of 166€/g. Can the difference in emissions really be worth an extra 6,650€?

The new Def 90, which according to Parker's produces 228g CO2, will be charged 25k€. (The malus is capped at a maximum of 50% of the value of the car) Shocked

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #901880 7th May 2021 11:29am
Tim in Scotland

Yesterday I paid my 2nd year tax on the 110 2.0 D240 - £490, was expecting worse but still a wedge of dosh after the approx £100 pa for the Countryman PHEV Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #901887 7th May 2021 12:09pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Grenadier wrote:
Just look at the new 'Malus' tax in France (an apparently 'eco/pollution/green' tax) which is set at a level that almost exclusively targets foreign premium brands/models. Most 'normal' french buyers will buy a 1.9l model from one of the big three (Citroen, Renault, Peugeot

Interesting analysis of where top selling cars bought in France actually originate:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Car Industry Analysis (@lovecarindustry) Tweeted:

1/2: Nationalism and long heritage make consumers buy locally made cars. However, many of those cars might have the local badge on them, but they are not necessarily assembled at home. In countries like the UK or Italy, very few of the most popular cars were produced there.

https://t.co/9hCpp9Oz4k https://twitter.com/lovecarindustry/status...60835?s=20
Post #901922 7th May 2021 6:42pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Big market for the Nissan Qashqai in Spain then.
Took me a while to work out what it was as most of the jelly mould vehicles in the list all look the same.
Post #901926 7th May 2021 6:58pm
Tim in Scotland

We used to berth on a container terminal in Port Tangier Med1 next to the car export terminal - used to see what are Dacias to us also badged as Renault’s - I assumed that they were for the African markets in ex French colonies but maybe they weren’t, they were destined to France. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #901934 7th May 2021 8:03pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Supacat wrote:
Nationalism and long heritage make consumers buy locally made cars. However, many of those cars might have the local badge on them, but they are not necessarily assembled at home. In countries like the UK or Italy, very few of the most popular cars were produced there.

This is very true. Renault have plants in all those countries, Morocco, Slovenia, Slovakia etc, as do Peugeot in a couple. However, they will still see the brands as French and that if they pick up a Clio or 308, they're buying 'French'. Indeed, if you look at car magazines in France, the latest, best ever, all-singing, all-dancing, most beautiful, multi award winning Ferrari could have just been released (and would adorn the covers of almost all car mags in the UK) and a face lifted Twingo will take centre stage on the front cover and be the main article with pages of coverage. The French are extremely proud of their car industry, but when looking at some of what I see produced and where they're actually made, almost to the point of blindness. Even during the bland, dark and reliabily questionable times of the 70s/80s/90s. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #902094 9th May 2021 7:37am
J77

Scotland 
Removable seats in the 90, sorry it’s in Dutch. Makes it much more usable, why LR couldn’t have designed it with just the 2 rear seats is beyond me.

24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #902695 12th May 2021 3:32pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
I was going to say watch it with subtitles switched on but it seems googles auto translate doesn't seem to work or is drunk Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #902698 12th May 2021 3:54pm
J77

Scotland 
Yeah I tried subtitles, I think I understood the Dutch better Laughing 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #902699 12th May 2021 3:57pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I think it would look better in copper (coated so it doesn't go green!):
https://nielsvanroij.com/portfolio/rust-el...-defender/
Post #902700 12th May 2021 4:10pm
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green
https://news.sky.com/story/amp/jaguar-land...s-12309990

I think the dealerships are part of the problem lack of customer support especially with mine and I know plenty of others have complained about the service they have had or lack of it. Reliability has to be a big factor as well numerous years at the bottom of the charts is eventually going to damage the brand especially for the premium you pay. Add the parts shortages and it’s another loss making year. Will going down a more premium, reduced sales numbers route fix this? I don’t think so. For me I want good service and a vehicle that is reliable not one that’s throwing out warning messages on a monthly sometimes weekly basis and a service department that you can never get hold of and when you do they don’t fix it. New customers who are not LR die hards won’t put up with this service and the figures show this.
Post #903764 18th May 2021 6:45pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
J77 wrote:
Yeah I tried subtitles, I think I understood the Dutch better Laughing

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #903772 18th May 2021 7:27pm
J77

Scotland 
Digger2000 wrote:
https://news.sky.com/story/amp/jaguar-land-rover-warns-of-chip-shortage-struggle-as-it-posts-third-year-of-annual-losses-12309990

I think the dealerships are part of the problem lack of customer support especially with mine and I know plenty of others have complained about the service they have had or lack of it. Reliability has to be a big factor as well numerous years at the bottom of the charts is eventually going to damage the brand especially for the premium you pay. Add the parts shortages and it’s another loss making year. Will going down a more premium, reduced sales numbers route fix this? I don’t think so. For me I want good service and a vehicle that is reliable not one that’s throwing out warning messages on a monthly sometimes weekly basis and a service department that you can never get hold of and when you do they don’t fix it. New customers who are not LR die hards won’t put up with this service and the figures show this.

Autocar’s article

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industr...-recovery-£861m-loss-2020 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #903775 18th May 2021 7:40pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Hairy Dan wrote:
I was going to say watch it with subtitles switched on but it seems googles auto translate doesn't seem to work or is drunk Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Reminds me of this monty python sketch https://youtu.be/grA5XmBRC6g
Post #903778 18th May 2021 7:52pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 338 of 351 <123 ... 337338339 ... 349350351>