↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 309 of 351 <123 ... 308309310 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
Digger2000

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Other HT Tonga Green

Click image to enlarge

Defender mods posted this on Instagram first batch of 90’s arriving around Europe now.

I think the 19” wheels look good on it
Post #875309 30th Dec 2020 9:07pm
J77

Scotland 
The Black alloys don’t look too bad but the silver colour doesn’t do it for me.

Looking forward to actually trying a 90. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #875314 30th Dec 2020 9:21pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
Is that a real pic? Just seems wrong. Look at the tracks in the snow and their angles.
Post #875316 30th Dec 2020 9:23pm
J77

Scotland 
Yeah I think there’s been a bit of photoshopping when they’ve applied the on trend Grey look. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #875320 30th Dec 2020 9:26pm
Digger2000

Click image to enlarge

DSL wrote:
Is that a real pic? Just seems wrong. Look at the tracks in the snow and their angles.

It’s his photo, this is other side
Post #875325 30th Dec 2020 9:48pm
DSL

United Kingdom 
It looks real from that side, just looked odd to me. I might be wrong, it has been known. It was a Tuesday, mid afternoon and it was raining. Whistle Mr. Green
Post #875326 30th Dec 2020 9:53pm
725browning

United Kingdom 
110 defender 2020
I woneder if anyone else here has rejected their new defender. After the excitement of taking delivery of my new 110 hse I have very sadly come to the end and I'm going through the rejection process. I'm totally gutted Bec I love the car and had all the accessories fitted. My grandkids spend every visit deploying the ladder and climbing on the expedition rack and look forward to a few adventures . It was the perfect car for me and the family. I have rattling doors, the pivi keeps going blank, constant low coolant warning, adaptive cruise drops Out, the dash display goes black and reboots whilst driving and now the locking won't operate. In the last 4 weeks I have had to drive to my wife's work 3 times to pick her up Bec the fob won't unlock the car. I am used to JLR problems and have owned them from a young age but I am done with the brand. I kid myself every time I hand over the cheque that this is it and this one will be different but who am I kidding. It's so bad that I have always bought new or demo just so I can have the warranty and peace of mind. If the new defender was field tested it must have been round the factory perimeter rd and back. How can all these rattles and wind noise have been missed. I know it's trivial but I attached the dog hammock also known as a joke of a parcel shelf into its fitting last week and the hanger came apart in my hand. If you take a close look at a lot of the fitments they are unbelievabley cheap. Apologies for the rant but I love the look of the car, it's not as in your face as my range rovers and it was going to be our family run about for the length of its warranty. JLR, why do you constantly frustrate customers who have stayed with you for 30yrs then tel them that this is a first when we report faults like we are dumb. What makes it worse is that every 3 yrs I buy a Citroen berlingo van for my work. I thrash it up and down the country, i have it serviced when I get time if it's lucky, it gets a battering inside with heavy equipment rolling round and ends up with give or take about 120 to 130k on the clock. Never once lets me down, doesn't rattle and I can honestly say it must sigh with relief when I trade it in. I take no pleasure in putting this on a web site and I am not out to embarrass JLR but I think they should take a long look at other manufacturers and drop their elitist arrogant attitude Bec they are producing better products than you and it wouldn't hurt for you to see that. Apart from that all is well and happy new year to you all Rolling with laughter
Post #875341 30th Dec 2020 10:46pm
Digger2000

If I have half of those problems then I’ll be doing the same and asking for a refund. The brand seems to be getting worse not better.
Post #875349 30th Dec 2020 11:21pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
DSL wrote:

It's just been swung into the space and then the wheels straightened Confused Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #875351 30th Dec 2020 11:44pm
abpod

United States 
Digger2000 wrote:
If I have half of those problems then I’ll be doing the same and asking for a refund. The brand seems to be getting worse not better.

I haven’t received My 2021 yet. However my history with Land Rover is mixed. I had a range rover L322 for 8 years and it was a nightmare. I then traded it in for a brand new BMW. The BMW turned out to be a lemon. I then got back into Landrover with a brand new 2013 LR4. It was flawless aside from a water pump that broke relatively early in ownership years. I owned it for 7 years and sort of regret selling it. It is because of my really good experience with my LR4 that I stayed with the brand for my next purchase which is the incoming 2021 defender. I am expecting, not hoping, that my next experience with the 2021 defender will be just as positive as my previous ownership of the LR4.

I drove a demo several times over various surfaces and it also had the roof rack. There were zero, absolutely zero, noises from either the rack or the interior — and the demo had several thousands of miles on it. '21 L663 X-Dyn HSE P400 Carpathian
'13 L319
'03 L322
Post #875378 31st Dec 2020 3:55am
zilch

Australia 
our P400 SE has been stress free, a small glitch with the Traffic sign recognition being in MPH rather than
KPH which was fixed in a software update, but apart from that .. very pleased with its performance and reliability.
3 months into ownership

In comparison our MY10 RRS when we purchased it new was recovered twice in the first two weeks due to sensor
issues Laughing and then again a turbo actuator failure at 4 years, which i would assume age and tech wise is comparable
to your LR4 yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #875381 31st Dec 2020 7:24am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I’ve never owned a LR from new, and the only LR product I have ever owned have been Defenders, so some noise, rattles, water ingress etc in a utilitarian vehicle can be accepted (is to be expected if LR). But I know many, many owners of other models and whilst many ‘love them’, it’s always with a massive reliability ‘but’. And this is across the range, from Disco 1s through to Disco 5s, Velars, Freelanders, FFRRs, RRSs etc. Not ONE of them has had trouble free ownership. We’re talking ten people that come immediately to mind, I’m sure there are more out there.

No other ‘premium’ brand would get away with such bad QC. LR can count themselves incredibly lucky that they have produced models that for many years have been almost unique. What vehicle at its launch, could reasonably have replaced the Disco 3/4? Likewise the original Defender or the first few incarnations of the FFRR? Either because they were unique (Disco), Iconic British Heritage (Defender), or super luxury, yet still capable off road (FFRR).

But over the last decade two things have happened that have affected LR, yet during the same period they have been distracted by model evolution and ‘image’ rather than getting the engineering right, so no wonder their finances are struggling and their reputation has tanked. First, under the direction of McGovern, all their range has become ‘urbanised’, focusing more on handling and toys and leather and look than genuine ability and practicality, in other words they’ve become SUVs.

The second change is the phenomenal increase in the number of very capable SUVs that have come to market. 10+ years ago if you wanted a super luxury SUV you only had the FFRR to choose from, now you have RR, Bentley, Aston Martin, etc. Want a performance SUV? Used to be the RRS and X5M. Now you’ve got Mercs, Audis, Beemer, Maserati etc, and not just one model under each badge but a whole host of them.

So they’re no longer robust, nor unique, instead yet another SUVs in a sea of SUVs, which is my gripe with the new Defender, why did they need another one when JLR already had 8 SUVs in their stable? Indeed, can you really see any difference between the ‘Land’ and ‘Range’ models within LR? not anymore.

There seems to be a trend (led by German brands) to have cars that all look the same, but also across a huge range. 10 years ago there might have been 4-5 models in a range, now there’s 30 and 50% of the offerings are SUVs. Clearly Speth brought his countryman’s ethos to JLR but forgot the QC bit. I bet that if they’d stuck with just their classic offerings, distinctly different, robust, capable and (importantly) very, very well made, they’d be doing well, their brand image and off road ability with no genuine equivalent being unique. Instead they’ve spent a decade diluting the brand, diluting its purpose, diluting its ability and and making no effort to keep up with the other premium marques in reliability and QC, just worrying about ‘style’. I mean, a new Lambo SUV would be more reliable than a RR, who’d have ever thought that?

If ever there was an example of ‘style over substance’ LR in their current incarnation would be it. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #875385 31st Dec 2020 8:50am
zilch

Australia 
grenadier, as someone who has driven in the Army and owned in civvy street Landies for over 40 years,
i went into ownership with eyes clearly wide open on what to expect. Whilst in Oz considering options when
i bought our 2nd RRS i looked at reports on the Nissan Patrol GU's, they were classified on their own forums as
hand grenades, which Nissan washed their hands of and left many disgruntled owners with f'd 3.0 diesels, and
early 200 series V8 Tojo landcruisers that consumed oil as quickly as fuel and blew their engines.. it is not something
that is unique to LR..i just think some companies have a far better PR dept than LR. oh and 'Defender" was not
a name when i was in the Army, it was SWB or LWB in different variants.. and they were also diva's irrespective
if in FFR, snatch, utility or mine proof guise.. my point is, its not unique to LR.. some companies are better at
burying bad news

edited: apologies, in OZ it is 25 minutes before midnight locally, so happy 2021 to you all, hope the new year is
far better than 2020 Thumbs Up yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #875427 31st Dec 2020 1:19pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Anecdotes are interesting but you cannot ignore the hard truths ~ read JLR annual reports, investor presentations or even the words of the ex boss ~ warranty costs are huge and they have not been able to get a handle on them.

There's several threads on here dealing with this issue, not sure why anyone would downplay them, when JLR themselves do not?
Post #875430 31st Dec 2020 2:03pm
zilch

Australia 
you raise a fair point, however based upon the sheer number of units that Toyota and Nissan ship, especially in the
saloon,estates etc, it is far easier for them to absorb the problem child issue in the 4x4 space than Land Rover.
LR are and will always be on a loser as a one trick pony show (4x4/SUV) yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #875433 31st Dec 2020 2:29pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 309 of 351 <123 ... 308309310 ... 349350351>