↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus Discussion/Advice/Assistance Thread (Part 2)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 22 of 35 <123 ... 212223 ... 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
seriesonenut wrote:
Hi. Be assured I am not making any criticism of anyone and we cant expect a near normal service. I am just interested after reading of the more severe lockdown Pickles described in how it has also impacted the wider health services.

Good morning Series.
Well as far as our health system operated, all elective (non urgent) operations in hospitals was originally cancelled because it was thought that all hospital bed space could possibly be needed for virus cases, and this was the case for several months. Elective surgery has now resumed. Our dental visits were postponed by our dentist, and have been for over 6 months, we would expect to visit soon. Doctor's surgery visits for us were as normal, but wearing masks & maintaining distancing rules. These rules were, & still are, mandatory.
It should be remembered that whilst Aussie is a big place, there are seven States, all of which operate separately, and all of which had differing rules for the Virus, but ALL States had very strict distancing/isolation RULES, and travelling between States was forbidden for several months, and is still controlled.
Victoria has had the strictest Virus "Rules" because of the Victorian Labor Governments terrible "shambolic" quarantine debacle where infected travelers were let out into the community. Over 800 people died as a consequence, but we are now, hopefully, starting to get things under control,...but we are all still wearing masks & maintaining social distancing, which is SO important, as is washing/disinfecting your hands.
Masks, Social distancing, & various other restrictions will remain in place until a vaccine is found. It has been said that many things will change, a major aspect being that some people will never return to work "in the city", they will continue to work from home.
So, the main message from me is, MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING (DON'T GET CLOSE), WEAR A MASK, AND REGULARLY WASH YOUR HANDS, DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE WITH YOUR HANDS WHEN YOU ARE OUT.
Pickles.
Post #864874 1st Nov 2020 10:01pm
Doc P

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
A view from the UK front line today.

It feels like the NHS is teetering over the edge of a bottomless precipice this week. What the public don’t yet know is that the hospitals are (by and large) full - as are most intensive care units as I write.

Our Trust has over 50 more COVID patients than it did at the peak of occupancy back in April (310 now vs a peak of 246 in mid-April) and both of our ITUs are over capacity - with theatre and ward staff being drafted in again to help. There’s still planned (elective) surgery going on in our separate (from COVID) treatment centre, but staffing it is proving difficult because of a high level of staff sickness too. We’re kidding ourselves if we think it’s business as usual.

They’re stopping face to face clinics now and all elective surgery at the main hospital will have to cease. There’s no beds to put folk in as there’s nowhere ‘green’ for them to be any more. This virus is really good at turning everywhere ‘red’.

As a result, I spend my days in full PPE, which is miserable, even to anaesthetise ‘green’ patients (self-isolated and swab negative) for elective procedures as we are never sure of the risk of being faced by ‘false negatives’ with doing ‘aerosol-generating procedures’ like routine airway management - which we of course do with every general anaesthetic we give. It slows everything down, makes it feel like you’re playing the piano in boxing gloves and detaches your senses and wits from the reality. You can’t be your best and so I bet it detracts from patient safety. I really hope we find a way out of this mire.

Still, I drove home in Florence (my lovely Defender) tonight - and she always makes me feel something special (even if I couldn’t hear the radio and I pinched my finger in the Disklok) and to cap it all we’re just polishing-off a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape 😜. Happy days.
Post #867002 12th Nov 2020 10:30pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
^^^ Your work and commitment (and that of all our health care professionals) is very much appreciated Doc. Thank you Thumbs Up
Post #867013 13th Nov 2020 3:42am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
As what Rockster57 says Thumbs Up

Thanks Doc P

Sometimes a reality check from the front line is what is needed to wake people up.

I was encouraged by the Pfizer statement last week, but if people think this is done and dusted, it isn’t. We are still far from a jab. From reports in the press it allowed one of its big wigs to off load a quantity of his shares after they rose after the announcement Rolling Eyes
Post #867017 13th Nov 2020 6:38am
Doc P

Might be plateauing again - the number being admitted is dropping a little at the end of this week (as are the ITU admissions).

We've seen a few more deaths too, which has had the macabre benefit of making space on ITU.

Maybe the 'soft' lockdown is working?
Post #868757 21st Nov 2020 11:30am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Good news Doc. Top man.

Since the first lockdown Mrs G has been trying to get a product in the NHS, it’s basically a 100% safe product (no breathing equipment or special clothing required...) that eradicates Covid 19 on contact and continues to do so for at least 5 days after.
It works like the air-fresheners in public toilets, it just sprays a mist and thats that. You could drink it it’s that safe.
Totally tested by a lab in Canada on Covid 19.
The problem is that they’ve been treading through the NHS ‘treacle’ and not getting anywhere.
Imagine ambulances not having to be deep cleaned for 6 hours plus, after carrying a patient. It could save the NHS £millions.
Post #868761 21st Nov 2020 12:18pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Doc P wrote:
Might be plateauing again - the number being admitted is dropping a little at the end of this week (as are the ITU admissions).

We've seen a few more deaths too, which has had the macabre benefit of making space on ITU.

Maybe the 'soft' lockdown is working?

Thanks for your posts Doc P - as an over 65 I find it hard to believe the news output from B.B.C. and other "news outlets", I expect to be Governed not Managed by our government.

I find it easier to trust another Defender driver.

Please keep it up.
Thumbs Up Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #868771 21st Nov 2020 1:13pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
A sad first for me, attending a double funeral next Friday for both my god-parents. The Husband died of COVID about a month ago and his wife followed about 2 weeks later. Both in their mid 70s, one with some health issues, but the other fit and well. It’s not a pleasant peaceful way to go either.

Until the vaccine is ready, it’s a terrible dilemma for older people and those with older relatives. COVID is very serious for them, but remaining locked away and isolated is no quality of life. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #868773 21st Nov 2020 1:20pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Hello Bluest, I am very sorry to hear your news.
Here in Victoria we are just starting to emerge from a very severe 6 month lockdown, details of which I have previously provided in this thread. I've noticed how the British Govt is "handling" the Virus, & IMHO the measures they are taking do not go far enough.
The only way this Virus gets beaten is by keeping people away from each other, and pics that I've seen in the UK of crowds with no masks, no distancing, etc etc, will not defeat the virus,....I believe the "numbers" are showing that.
For the life of me, I do not understand why Boris is not going in a LOT harder.
We're in the state of Victoria, but our neighboring State, South Australia thought they had the beginning of an outbreak last week, and they IMMEDIATELY shut down the whole State, Stay home, isolation, shut down all shops, pubs,etc etc....but it works.
But, once again, I'm sorry for your loss.
Pickles.
Post #868880 21st Nov 2020 9:55pm
Bluest

You are right in that physically isolating people does stop the spread, but that comes with the attached side effects which are many, and not insignificant, both economic and public health wise. Also, without a vaccine, lockdown is just a stalling tactic, once you lift it the virus will return at some point and your back to square one again. All hope is pinned on the promised vaccines becoming a reality soon.

I don’t know how the UK is performing compared to others, there’s many variables and the news doesn’t seem to bother much with what’s going on elsewhere anyway. They’re too interested in reporting US politics for some reasons. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #868883 21st Nov 2020 10:18pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Post #868907 22nd Nov 2020 7:55am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Bluest wrote:
You are right in that physically isolating people does stop the spread, but that comes with the attached side effects which are many, and not insignificant, both economic and public health wise. Also, without a vaccine, lockdown is just a stalling tactic, once you lift it the virus will return at some point and your back to square one again. All hope is pinned on the promised vaccines becoming a reality soon.

I don’t know how the UK is performing compared to others, there’s many variables and the news doesn’t seem to bother much with what’s going on elsewhere anyway. They’re too interested in reporting US politics for some reasons.

Well, I can tell you that nearly all the mistakes/learning/actions/correct decisions/wrong decisions/illogical decisions/number of cases/lack of PPE/full ICUs/number of deaths/target audience/spread profile/r-rate etc etc, that you have seen in the UK, we’ve seen here in France. Don’t think that Boris, Hancock, the UK Govt, SAGE et al are unique in how they’ve approached Covid. Indeed, the French judiciary has started and independent enquiry into how the last PM (who left office over summer) and his Health Minister handled the first outbreak in Spring.

And many of the questionable decisions that you have suffered, we have too. For example, I can go to the supermarket tomorrow and spend from opening (0730) until closing (2000) wandering the isles, yet during those 12+hrs of lingering am not allowed to buy slippers from the clothing aisle which is taped off. Or a comic book. Etc. So I can mix with hundreds of people throughout the day, but cannot enter certain sections, why?

And before the current full lockdown, like in the UK, bars were required to close at 2200h. It doesn’t seem to register with the powers that be that in France there are no strict opening times, so I could arrive at my local bar at 0700 and stay until closing without once leaving. That’s a 15h marathon drinking session that falls entirely within the rules. So what difference does closing at 10pm make, I’d be paralytically drunk by 10am.

Either close everything or leave everything open. Half baked seems to make absolutely no sense, and as pointed out is just stalling the inevitable until a vaccine arrives. Allow the vulnerable to self isolate with guarantees and protections from the government (job security, benefits, housing, healthcare) and allow those not as risk to continue. And, as my parents in their late 70s have said, if they want to chance going out (so they can lead a normal, social life and maintain contact with their family during their twighlight years) they should be allowed. Being cooped up in a small box is no life. And we wouldn’t stop them doing other things harmful to their health, such as riding a motorcycle, skydiving, cliff jumping, smoking, eating high fat food, so why are they stopped in this instance? Surely they can make an informed judgment and decide what to do accordingly? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #868913 22nd Nov 2020 9:06am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Just on you last point, I think the issue is doing something that's harmful to other people's health, i.e. spreading the disease. Injury through skydiving, etc. doesn't tend to be catching. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #868929 22nd Nov 2020 10:15am
Bluest

And that’s why haven’t been seeing people. Not to protect myself really, but I couldn’t live with myself if I spread it to my parents for example. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #868935 22nd Nov 2020 10:38am
Doc P

My condolences, Bluest.
Post #868999 22nd Nov 2020 5:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 22 of 35 <123 ... 212223 ... 333435>