↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Coronavirus Discussion/Advice/Assistance Thread (Part 2)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 35 <123 ... 151617 ... 333435>
Print this entire topic · 
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
I'll be happy to have the new vaccine, just as soon as it's had, say, 20 years to prove there's no long term side effects.
Post #850889 19th Aug 2020 12:47pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Very simple rule for social distancing in Iceland:

Click image to enlarge

"remember the 2 sheep rule"

https://www.saudfe.is/frettir/2722-covid-19-leiðbeiningar-fyrir-göngur-og-réttir.html

Could be applied to Wales, too Laughing

Or maybe as a sticker on the back of our Landys? Wink

Click image to enlarge
Post #852241 26th Aug 2020 9:25pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Pickles wrote:
Hello from Aussie "Lockdown" Melbourne, got just under a month to go,......if we are able to control the number of infections?
BUT, on the News this morning, our P.M. announced that He had done a deal with a research company connected to Oxford University, to purchase a Vaccine, which He said He hoped would be available early 2021, He said we've ordered 25m doses, and that those over 65 & the frail would get priority?
So, I was wondering what you guys know about any possible vaccine, Of course Vladimir says He's already got one?
Regards from Aussie, Pickles.

I hope you are well, Pickles?

Reports that your lockdown is to continue?

Fairly large breakout for Norfolk at Banham Chickens in Attleborough where over 100 have been infected. Up until that, we had been a reasonably 'safe' area for Covid-19. We are now on a watch list Shocked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-54027905
Post #854566 6th Sep 2020 2:34pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
G'Day Rashers, yes, our "Lockdown" in Victoria is set to continue for sometime.
But there is some good news. Victoria is the only State that has had a REALLY bad outbreak, which was thanks to the Victorian Labor Government's shambolic inability to properly control quarantine matters. Every infection can be traced back the the quarantine issue.
But, to the Government's credit, & particularly under the Leadership of Labor Premier Daniel Andrews, it appears that we are very slowly getting the virus under control, but it's bloody difficult, the virus spreads like wildfire, and ya've got all those "Ferals & Boguns" who refuse to obey the rules, don't care about anybody or even themselves.
We are virtually confined to our house, except for an hour walk every day. Not allowed to drive anywhere basically, unless in an emergency.
How are you guys going?...I think I heard on the radio this morning that your numbers were increasing?
Pickles.
Post #854638 7th Sep 2020 12:25am
Rashers

Yes Pickles. Numbers are increasing and there is a higher proportion of ‘young’ people being infected now.

This isn’t really surprising as the Government are trying to kick start the economy and get every one out and spending money. You could also say that anecdotally, young people are acting as if they are invincible and are mixing with others more closely, going to parties, raves etc etc etc. No of course that is a generalisation and some will be playing by the rules, but there are many who think it will be like catching a cold and they will be fine after a few days. This could be true for some, but just as long as they don’t pass it on to their parents or grand parents I suppose?

There seems to be some disagreement between those in charge and the ‘experts’. Towns and cities are struggling with a large proportion of the office workers still working from home. Our Government has asked companies to bring people back to the offices and the experts feel this is too soon. Most people I work with are in no hurry to return back into the office and the thought of sitting on a bus or train brings no joy. The government workers in Whitehall are being encouraged back in. I have worked in the Palace of Westminster and it is not a set of buildings designed for social distancing.

My Niece went back to School last Friday after summer holidays. They are at home again today after a couple of teachers have either been diagnosed with C-19 or have the symptoms. I guess this is what it is going to be like for Schools for the foreseeable future?
Post #854648 7th Sep 2020 7:10am
Pickles

We, in suburban Melbourne, are still in lockdown & look like being so for several weeks yet, but there will still be substantial restrictions, masks, distancing for an unknown time after that. Regional/Country areas, upon reaching low infection targets, are now enjoying less restrictions, but "Melbournians" are surrounded by a "ring of steel" and are not allowed there. A $5000 penalty applies to those who try. Who knows when we'll get back to normal.
But I've heard on the radio that the UK has had a very large spike with thousands of new infections, with the prospect that Boris may impose lockdowns?
So are any of you affected by restrictions?
As I've said before, all we've been able to do for the last several months is an hour walk out of our house on a daily basis. We've been ordering all our food/groceries etc on line home delivered!
Pickles.
Post #856402 17th Sep 2020 12:15am
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
My mum's "village" (now a suburb) has the second highest infection rate in England, at 115 out of 100,000 tests.

My maths is rubbish, but as that's positive tests, not deaths, I do feel the percentages are not exactly frightening at present.

Having been back at work since 1st June, and effectively working normally again, I'm starting to wonder if there's a lot of people who are un-necessarily curtailing their normal daily lives out of fear rather than reason.
Post #856408 17th Sep 2020 6:42am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Joe the Plumber wrote:
My mum's "village" (now a suburb) has the second highest infection rate in England, at 115 out of 100,000 tests.

I thought they were measuring positive cases per 100,000 population not per 100,000 tests?

It's not just the absolute number but the rate of change/trajectory that's the worry.
Post #856410 17th Sep 2020 7:08am
Rashers

Joe the Plumber is not unique in his view, and I can see why he feels the way he does.

What concerns me (without wanting to sound like another conspiracy theory) but these restrictions are not in place just in my area, or just because Boris or Nicola think it’s fun to do so. A large proportion of Governments throughout the world are concerned enough to be doing the same.

Countries where the same restrictions have not been used are seeing large cases of infections.

It’s not about deaths. If we all carried on as we used to, and cases soared, this would be fine if we could just take to our beds, watch daytime TV for a few days and get better. Sadly in a lot of cases, people who catch this need to be hospitalised. The social distancing and other restrictions I believe are there to save our hospitals getting swamped. When the hospitals have no capacity, this is when things could get worse.

Surely, low cases show that the restrictions are working?

This is obviously just my opinion and based on nothing more than what I read
Post #856415 17th Sep 2020 7:36am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Looks like my end of the woods, is been put under curfew as of tomorrow. But that's what happens when people don't follow the rules etc. i can see the north east been mothballed like they did down south, its only going to be a matter of time.
I am thinking we will go into another lockdown across the board again before xmas. Rolling Eyes
At work we have had 4 had to isolate due to someone testing positive for it. But work never bothered to clean the areas the lad was working in, and are starting to get lack in keeping soaps topped up. I had to pull Health and safety, and she was not made a ware of it! so she jumped on it. Things are not been checked properly at all Rolling Eyes Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #856549 17th Sep 2020 7:22pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I wonder what is going ot happen as we go into "office party season" followed by "new year party season". In some ways I rather that there is another full lockdown.
Post #856561 17th Sep 2020 8:06pm
Pickles

Rashers wrote:
Joe the Plumber is not unique in his view, and I can see why he feels the way he does.

What concerns me (without wanting to sound like another conspiracy theory) but these restrictions are not in place just in my area, or just because Boris or Nicola think it’s fun to do so. A large proportion of Governments throughout the world are concerned enough to be doing the same.

Countries where the same restrictions have not been used are seeing large cases of infections.

It’s not about deaths. If we all carried on as we used to, and cases soared, this would be fine if we could just take to our beds, watch daytime TV for a few days and get better. Sadly in a lot of cases, people who catch this need to be hospitalised. The social distancing and other restrictions I believe are there to save our hospitals getting swamped. When the hospitals have no capacity, this is when things could get worse.

Surely, low cases show that the restrictions are working?

This is obviously just my opinion and based on nothing more than what I read

You have hit the nail on the head.
If you don't have the necessary level of restrictions, then it appears that infections will soar, and hospitalizations, ICU etc will follow in increasing numbers. The problem is that this virus is VERY infectious, symptoms are not immediately felt, and so infected people can go around unknowingly infecting others, who may, or may not, be seriously affected. You only need to look at the U.S. to see what can happen.
Victoria seems to be now on a downward trend, some of our recent figures,..infections compared to tests, & relative % infected,.....51/14805 .34%, 35/8937 .39%, 42/8803 .48%, we need to come down much lower than this, & it's taking a while.
Melbourne will be at the very severe stage 4 lockdown for at least another 5 weeks.
My advice to anyone who's interested is, be careful. Pickles.
Post #856601 17th Sep 2020 11:17pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Well,

Here in Chile, appears that the first wave have already end, but still we are in a 1,500 daily cases level (compared with the 8,000 in the peak).
Our area has eased the restrictions and now we can go out during weekends and use the outside part of the restaurants but still we have curfew during the nights. Still its not allowed to move to the 2nd houses. Schools, universities are working remotely, most restaurants, etc are still closed and no permission to make parties, etc.

Now we are starting the spring and have the independence day festivity (18th Sep). The government allows to invite no more to 5 persons to one house, so, we will see the effect in the curves probably at the end of September.

We are seen the news in Spain, France and the main concern here is that when the restrictions are eased the virus start again to propagate at an accelerated pace.

Our neighbors, Argentina, are maybe the counter example. They have been in complete lockdown since March and now they have more cases than us and with an infection rate of more than 10,000 infected per day and growing and with the economy completely destroyed. (The latinos, After 6 month of lockdown, probably lost its patience and go out).

Hope the vaccine will be soon and take care Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #856606 18th Sep 2020 1:11am
Pickles

Hello to all my UK friends,....again.
I've just seen some images from the UK on TV,...with people "mingling", no masks, no social distancing etc, and behaving as if everything is normal. Also heard that Boris is going to leave it up to the people to make their own mind up as to how they will conduct themselves during the Virus. He won't "lockdown". If this is the case, & He doesn't make some rules, then I would say that with the present level of infections that you have, then that level will very rapidly increase.
Stay safe, and be careful. Pickles.
Post #856635 18th Sep 2020 11:07am
Rashers

Van Morrison has released three records whose lyrics criticise the UK Governments rules over C-19 and restrictions to people’s liberties Rolling Eyes

It’s easy when you are a recording artist with pots of money. You can live in your Ivory Towers and pay Minions to do your dirty work whilst you write your songs. Van, you must be classed as a key worker. How could we survive C-19 without your inspiring songs Whistle

Try telling that to the NHS Nurses and Doctors who have to pick up the pieces of recklessness Sad

Thanks for your support Van Thumbs Up I for one won’t be downloading or listening to your offerings or increasing your royalties.
Post #856644 18th Sep 2020 11:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 35 <123 ... 151617 ... 333435>