↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 264 of 351 <123 ... 263264265 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
So are LR leaving all the Defender SVO stuff to Bowler.
Post #850746 18th Aug 2020 6:23pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Best JLR leave the performance stuff to folks who know what they are doing.

SVO can then kit them out like a tarts boudoir. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #850748 18th Aug 2020 6:29pm
Stuff

Bowler for the SVO road-biased stuff and perhaps for the race-biased extreme stuff? Perhaps they look to Bowler for the halo effect?

I am watching the Grenadier with interest. If I want a rugged light utility offroad-capable vehicle to tour North European wilds in the years between retirement and confinement to whatever might pass for home, the Grenadier seems likely to fit the bill.
Post #850751 18th Aug 2020 6:37pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I'm missing where the Bowler involvement is coming from?

And reading: "sources tell us that JLR’s Special Vehicle Operations (SVO) division isn’t directly involved with the Defender V8 project. Instead, it’s an offshoot of the existing Defender engineering operation."

Confused
Post #850756 18th Aug 2020 6:50pm
MrEleven

Scotland 
Had to get the off road tyres and classic mud flaps after seeing tims and added the decal last week.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

What would be a fair price to sell the pirelli scorpion tyres it came with ? They have 2k miles on them set of 5
Post #850780 18th Aug 2020 8:34pm
zilch

Australia 
J77 wrote:
A few pics of the Dame Edna Everage glasses

Click image to enlarge

[

my preference would be for a full bar and winch with under body skid plates, as fitted to my RRS.
Designed to deflect the "hazard" or push it under rather than onto the bonnet and into the cabin
Be interesting to see what the after market companies bring out

Click image to enlarge
 yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #850842 19th Aug 2020 3:55am
zilch

Australia 
MrEleven wrote:
Had to get the off road tyres and classic mud flaps after seeing tims and added the decal last week.

Click image to enlarge

Wrangler AT's or Duratracs ?? yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #850843 19th Aug 2020 4:01am
MrEleven

Scotland 
Duratracs
Post #850850 19th Aug 2020 7:41am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
zilch wrote:
my preference would be for a full bar and winch with under body skid plates, as fitted to my RRS. Designed to deflect the "hazard" or push it under rather than onto the bonnet and into the cabin Be interesting to see what the after market companies bring out

It will be interesting. The strategy you describe is counter to the ECE pedestrian-friendly design strategy of throwing them - sorry, guiding them - onto the bonnet, which is considered to improve the chance of survival in the case of low-speed pedestrian impact. I can see that many suppliers (and presumably JLR) may be reluctant to go the other way.

That being said, it may be that a local manufacturer who understands the requirement may come up with something.

What rules do you guys have on pedestrian-friendly front-end design?
Post #850860 19th Aug 2020 9:28am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
redneckwilly wrote:
Grenadier wrote:
this does the Defender lineage no justice what so ever from a purely looks/heritage point of view

You say that like it's a bad thing. If you prefer a shoebox design and low powered rigs, more power to you! Not knocking your opinion, "beauty" is in the eye of beholder and all that. Very Happy

It's more of a heritage thing. Surely if you want to embrace the icon status of a model, you'd at least try and make it look like one.

e.g. the JL Wrangler is clearly a Wrangler and clearly draws its root lineage from the original Willys. Very strong design traits and language.

Let's be honest here. Regardless of what the new Defender does well or not. What JLR have done is slap a name on something that is really just KL Cherokee type of vehicle. Both are good vehicles, but I'm sure most Jeep fans would be bitterly disappointed if the JL didn't exist and all they had was a Cherokee with a Wrangler badge on it.

History has generally not been kind to this sort of marketing ploys... anyone remember or desire a 1980s Dodge Charger..... no didn't think so.

Post #850874 19th Aug 2020 11:20am
redneckwilly

United States 
Rolling Eyes To be honest, the old defender is closer in looks and performance to that old Charger, so I am not sure what your point is. I think we all can agree that the new Defender's design is a piece of artwork, inside and out, coupled with modern technology and superior performance. If all someone cares about is boxy looks there are plenty of other vehicles to choose from, new and used.

Big Cry We all understand that the haters reaction to the new defender is based on emotion and not rational thought. That is ok. The venting is good from a psychological standpoint. And it's often entertaining. Those with an open mind realize the new Defender is a great machine. The unbiased, professional reviews online are overwhelmingly positive. And even those who had negative thoughts initially have changed their mind.

I am sure we all wish JLR the best of luck with this new world class beast of a truck! Thumbs Up
Post #850879 19th Aug 2020 12:02pm
Ecco

Malaysia 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Galway Green
Quote:
I think we all can agree that the new Defender's design is a piece of artwork, inside and out, coupled with modern technology and superior performance.

..this concludes only that you have no idea about either art or performance..
Post #850881 19th Aug 2020 12:09pm
zilch

Australia 
blackwolf wrote:
That being said, it may be that a local manufacturer who understands the requirement may come up with something.

What rules do you guys have on pedestrian-friendly front-end design?

Not sure what the rules are to be honest, but if it avoids a large roo joining me in the front of my vehicle
at a closing speed of 100KPH+, then i am happy with the Australian after market approach Whistle

edited: a quick check of the NSW regulations state it is a "Vehicle Front Protection System" , sharp edges,
obscuring lights and extensive extrusion is frowned upon, but not much else it would seem

https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/st...-bars.html yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #850882 19th Aug 2020 12:20pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
redneckwilly wrote:
Rolling Eyes To be honest, the old defender is closer in looks and performance to that old Charger, so I am not sure what your point is. I think we all can agree that the new Defender's design is a piece of artwork, inside and out, coupled with modern technology and superior performance. If all someone cares about is boxy looks there are plenty of other vehicles to choose from, new and used.

Big Cry We all understand that the haters reaction to the new defender is based on emotion and not rational thought. That is ok. The venting is good from a psychological standpoint. And it's often entertaining. Those with an open mind realize the new Defender is a great machine. The unbiased, professional reviews online are overwhelmingly positive. And even those who had negative thoughts initially have changed their mind.

I am sure we all wish JLR the best of luck with this new world class beast of a truck! Thumbs Up

lol, the only "hater" seems to be you. As in your views on the past model and people who like them.
Post #850893 19th Aug 2020 1:20pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
redneckwilly wrote:

No, that remark is astonishingly insensitive and generally offensive. Most of the people on this forum who have questioned the new Defender or have expressed disappointment in its design are people who appreciate the old Defender for what it actually was, which, faults and all, is an incredibly versatile light utility vehicle, and who lament that fact that the new one is nothing of the kind. There are many on this forum who bought the old Defender as a leisure vehicle and for these the new is probably a genuine replacement, but for those who use the classic Defender for its original intended purpose the new is as much use as a chocolate teapot. This is not a statement based on emotion and does not lack rational thought, it is a simple statement of fact.

If JLR really needs another premium, complex, technology-rich, and generally indistinguishable "lifestyle" vehicle in its already overpopulated line-up, then it is the right design choice, however the indications at present are not that encouraging.

As far as your last sentence is concerned, personally I don't really care at all whether this vehicle is a success or not, since JLR no longer makes any vehicles that interest me. I would be sorry if the company failed, mainly because it employs many people whose livelihoods would be endangered, but that is the limit of my concern.

If you want to find an example of a view based on emotion and not rational thought I suggest you look closer to home. With a post count of 4 and with the general tenor of your posts, I detect a whiff of troll.
Post #850896 19th Aug 2020 1:34pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 264 of 351 <123 ... 263264265 ... 349350351>