↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 202 of 351 <123 ... 201202203 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I seem to recall LR having a previous issue with dashboards disintegrating over time. Was it on the first Conran designed Disco 1 interior or perhaps early FL1?
Post #836392 10th Jun 2020 6:59pm
Tim in Scotland

Just had an email from the HQ of the dealer group I use -Pentland, which is part of the John Clarke Motor Group, letting me know that they have 48 New Defenders including base, S, SE and First Ed’s with various factory options and choice of colours - prices between £45k and £61k available for immediate delivery. This is a lot stock between IIRC 4 dealership locations around Scotland.
As of Friday they will have one less Pangea Green and Acorn First Ed in their stock! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 10th Jun 2020 7:25pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #836395 10th Jun 2020 7:12pm
Tim in Scotland

lohr500 wrote:
I seem to recall LR having a previous issue with dashboards disintegrating over time. Was it on the first Conran designed Disco 1 interior or perhaps early FL1?

it was D1 because my V8i ES had to have a new dash topper after both ends curled up to met the middle! About 2 years into its life - it was a warranty replacement thankfully, mine was one of the later D1’s Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #836396 10th Jun 2020 7:15pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Tim in Scotland wrote:

>
>
As of Friday they will have one less Pangea Green and Acorn First Ed in their stock!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy it Thumbs Up
Unless I've missed it... you may get to post the first 'My NEW Defender' post. I wonder whether we will get a new sub-topic for that under the Defender Replacement sub-forum?
Post #836400 10th Jun 2020 7:29pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green

Click image to enlarge

I think this invoice was featured in one of the Powerful-UK videos.
Whoever marked the the "government tax" surely missed the bigger picture.

The tax paid is £8691.67 vat + £2175.00 rfl (road tax) + £55.00 reg fee (additional tax on all new vehicles)

Total tax paid £10,921.67 or just over 25% of the actual vehicle price. Shocked
Post #836417 10th Jun 2020 8:34pm
eelpout

United States 
Procta wrote:

I saw this over on the Disco5 site. pretty brutal IMO. If you're coming from a D3, D4 or even D5, it would really make one have to pause over (cargo) utility.
Post #836443 10th Jun 2020 10:21pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
I hope the 130 ultimately arrives for the UK. In theory it should have a more comparable load space. If the leaked silhouette is anything to go by it has an underslung spare wheel which could pave the way for a upper tailgate or even split arrangement. I can but dream 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #836445 10th Jun 2020 10:32pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
^^ On a new Transit Connect it is £200 (+vat) option to select heated, glazed tailgate rather than un-glazed rear doors. So it can't be beyond JLR to offer both - if they wanted to. Especially if the spare is already taken care of.
Post #836456 10th Jun 2020 11:41pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
DSC-off wrote:

Click image to enlarge

The tax paid is £8691.67 vat + £2175.00 rfl (road tax) + £55.00 reg fee (additional tax on all new vehicles)

I'm not if anyone has done the maths, but the base price must include all labour costs, so if you factored in income tax and NI that must add between 5% and 7.5% to your figure.
Post #836461 11th Jun 2020 6:18am
Supacat

Naks wrote:
Autoweek review

Couldn't watch all of that ~ the reviewer's a real dick.

Isn't allowed to drive it off road by JLR, in case it breaks but says it will go off road really well because it's a Land Rover. Rather missing the point of a review!
Post #836463 11th Jun 2020 6:36am
Supacat

Naks wrote:
Autoblog review

Everything I had read up to now suggested that it's manners on road were excellent, not just by off road vehicle standards, but this looks like it rolls badly into the corner and pitches back badly as it exits. By badly, I mean no different from any other large 4x4.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #836466 11th Jun 2020 7:06am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Personally (and, before anyone wants to shoot me down, I mean personally), I no longer care about these reviews, because they’re not reviewing a worthy successor to the 75 year history of the Defender. It is not a Defender. And this is entirely separate to its looks, which I really dislike. This is about the essence of the Defender that so many of us understand and appreciate. An affordable, practical, modifiable, utilitarian and self-serviceable multi-platform vehicle which also (in the right hands) excels of road. All this could have been included in the new Defender, with added reliability, and improved comfort and ergonomics, but without going completely OTT as the current incarnation has. They have created a ‘ruggedised‘ luxury, expensive SUV. NOT a Defender in the ‘real’ sense.

So whether or not it is any good off road is immaterial as the vast majority (not all) will never be used in the extreme environments to which it pretends. The target owner, (who will likely also own 1000€ Arc’teryx jacket that may not have even skied a couloir in the French Alps, let alone been brutalised climbing a multi-pitch route in the high Himalaya), will never use it in testing off road environments. The people to whom it should have been targeted will also never use it as it is (primarily) too expensive, but also doesn’t offer the same benefits as I highlighted above.

So, personally, reviews are of no real interest, likewise its capabilities off road; at least not as a Defender. As a large, robust, family SUV, maybe. But that’s not what interests me, nor is it what maintains my passion for the current Defender. And dare I speak for others, that’s not what this site is about either. If you look at the various sections Martin has created on this forum, how many relate to the new Defender? Arguably, all of them, so flip it around and ask how many new owners will relate to the sections? Maintenance and Modifications, In-Car Electronics, Camping, Overlanding, Series, V8, Spotted, Pictures etc. I’d suggest very, very few new owners will be interested in any of those subjects, whether they’re on this site or a dedicated New Defender site. Which, I feel highlights by just how much McGovern has missed what the point of the Defender was, at least until it stopped being built 2016. Such a shame Sad Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #836467 11th Jun 2020 7:48am
nidge n

can't ague with any of that, as we say, a Discovery not a Defender
Post #836479 11th Jun 2020 9:11am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Supacat wrote:
DSC-off wrote:

I'm not if anyone has done the maths, but the base price must include all labour costs, so if you factored in income tax and NI that must add between 5% and 7.5% to your figure.

Don't forget that the money you're using to buy has also been taxed. Regardless of how much you earn, UK tax including NI and employers NI is a little over 40%.
Post #836484 11th Jun 2020 9:34am
diduan

Bulgaria 
I have no interest in buying one, but I follow this thread because as an engineer I am interested about the new tech that is build in the new defender. I really hope that JLR has made a better offroader than the classic defender. I am sure that engineers at JLR already know the weak parts in our vehicles (1.24" axle shafs, differentials, pinion offset, bewel gears, CV joints and so much more). Jeep has addressed most of this topics by introducing the nextgen Dana axles with higher spline count, bigger ring gears, thicker axle tubes etc. This tech info was main part of their ads and was introduced to the public before Wrangler JL was officially launched.

JLR keeps all of this tech info for themselves. They focus on software, but I couldn't even understand what is better on TR than the simple TC in my classic defender. Does the sand mode give the driver a message to get out and deflate the tires? Or ideally would be if the software adjusts tire pressure for rocks, sand etc.

All I see in all revies are cars splashing water and spectacular shots that help nothing. Of course this is just me, no offend to anyone here.

Be safe! Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #836486 11th Jun 2020 9:40am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 202 of 351 <123 ... 201202203 ... 349350351>