↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 190 of 351 <123 ... 189190191 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
J77

Scotland 
AdrianCR wrote:
sorry to say.but new defender is ugly as hell.

Nah, looks great!

Click image to enlarge

Seem to be a few out and about with customers

Click image to enlarge
Post #834594 1st Jun 2020 2:30pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
What is interesting about this chap is that he's going to spend the time comparing his new and old Defenders Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #834595 1st Jun 2020 2:32pm
PaulMark

South Africa 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Alpine White
J77 wrote:
AdrianCR wrote:
sorry to say.but new defender is ugly as hell.

Nah, looks great!

Click image to enlarge

Seem to be a few out and about with customers

Click image to enlarge

Really like the matte finish! Thumbs Up
Post #834612 1st Jun 2020 3:44pm
spudfan

Ireland 
When Land Rover brought out the Puma, they achieved what I thought could not be done. They made the existing Defender into a smooth, quiet, comfortable responsive vehicle and kept all of the old attributes intact.
To my mind I do not see how the new incarnation can improve on this. The outgoing model was always perceived by anyone who had not been in one as difficult to drive. Why?
Anyone who has been in my Puma loves it. They cannot get over how smooth and quiet it is on the road. It is extremely capable in the rough as well.
Now if Land Rover had put a little effort in getting the message across to people who never considered a Defender as to how user friendly a Puma is, sales could have been pushed forward.
I know people have said that the shape "had" to go as it was not pedestrian friendly. I cannot understand that with existing technology and materials we could not have continued with the existing shape and design and met the regulations. Where there is a will there is a way.
The new incarnation does not fill the space left by the outgoing Defender. It fits a space they hope will exist. The space for the old Defender is still there waiting for someone with a bit of common sense to fill it. Post C19 it will be easier to sell something like a basic 90/110 than the new expensive model. A guaranteed income could have been maintained had a more sensible approach been adopted.
To anyone who likes the new model and will buy one, enjoy it. If you get as much pleasure from it as I do the Puma you will be doing well. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #834622 1st Jun 2020 4:26pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
spudfan wrote:
I know people have said that the shape "had" to go as it was not pedestrian friendly. I cannot understand that with existing technology and materials we could not have continued with the existing shape and design and met the regulations. Where there is a will there is a way.

Look at the scores for the D5 vs the current Wrangler in terms of pedestrian safety:

D5
Head impact = 15.5 points
Pelvis impact = 4.1 points
Leg impact = 6 points

Wrangler
Head impact = 13.4 points
Pelvis impact = 6 points
Leg impact = 4.5 points

More points means safer.

Hardly poles apart and proving the frontal design of the Wrangler does not mean much in terms of pedestrian safety.

D5 is 5 stars and the Wrangler is 1 star.

Just to add, the current G class has a higher pedestrian score than the D5, is also 5 stars and so again proves a slab fronted vehicle would have been perfectly acceptable...
Post #834628 1st Jun 2020 4:45pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
spudfan wrote:
When Land Rover brought out the Puma, they achieved what I thought could not be done. They made the existing Defender into a smooth, quiet, comfortable responsive vehicle and kept all of the old attributes intact.
To my mind I do not see how the new incarnation can improve on this. The outgoing model was always perceived by anyone who had not been in one as difficult to drive. Why?
Anyone who has been in my Puma loves it. They cannot get over how smooth and quiet it is on the road. It is extremely capable in the rough as well.
Now if Land Rover had put a little effort in getting the message across to people who never considered a Defender as to how user friendly a Puma is, sales could have been pushed forward.
The new incarnation does not fill the space left by the outgoing Defender. It fits a space they hope will exist. The space for the old Defender is still there waiting for someone with a bit of common sense to fill it. Post C19 it will be easier to sell something like a basic 90/110 than the new expensive model. A guaranteed income could have been maintained had a more sensible approach been adopted.
To anyone who likes the new model and will buy one, enjoy it. If you get as much pleasure from it as I do the Puma you will be doing well.

I love my Puma and I’m no fan of the new Defender, but there is no way on earth anything but a blank sheet redesign could have made the old one acceptable to most buyers of modern vehicles. Too cramped, hard work to drive, noisy, leaky and with practically zero crash worthiness. I know there were niches where it was still selling but they were dwindling. Land Rovers fatal mistake was leaving so long, it should have been on its 3rd or 4th generation by the time production stopped. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #834630 1st Jun 2020 4:51pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Just another point. The old Defender was and is regarded as a basic model, yet we have numerous posts on the forum on main dealers making a hash of warranty repairs and sometimes work in general. I wonder how dealers will cope with warranty work on the new model? 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #834631 1st Jun 2020 4:56pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
+1 to spudfans post the original is a fantastic vehicle that can never be replaced in my eyes, the last ones very refined considering its basic construction. I remember driving a nearly new puma back in 2010 at LR Experience day I couldn't believe the difference to my (then) 300tdi 90, but it was still an authentic Land Rover. Cool

I am now past caring about the new one, or any other possible replacement as I will continue to run "classic" Defenders. The new one is what it is, a premium SUV trading on the old Defender recent found trendiness, nothing more. If I wanted this I would have stuck with Discoverys.

But good luck to all the new owners, each to their own and all that Thumbs Up
Post #834632 1st Jun 2020 4:59pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
J77 wrote:

Nah, looks great!

Click image to enlarge

It IS ugly as hell, but he who is used to the Range in the back is ok with it. Btw, they made the New Freelander 3 named a Range, so why the hell didn't they call this thingy a Disco or a Range, why abusing the Defender name? Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #834650 1st Jun 2020 5:48pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
I have a test drive booked for Thursday, if all goes well and it passes the fit the dogs in the boot test a deal should be done. I am really liking the green the more i see it. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #834674 1st Jun 2020 7:39pm
J77

Scotland 
Lucky you, I can’t get my hands on one yet. Enjoy it, look forward to your thoughts.
Post #834675 1st Jun 2020 7:41pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Yep they taxed their demonstrators today. Quite looking forward to it, I'll let you know my thoughts. Our main concern (as usual) is the boot space and if the Dogs all fit in. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #834678 1st Jun 2020 7:46pm
J77

Scotland 
NinetyTD4 wrote:

It IS ugly as hell, but he who is used to the Range in the back is ok with it. Btw, they made the New Freelander 3 named a Range, so why the hell didn't they call this thingy a Disco or a Range, why abusing the Defender name?

I assume you’re referring to the fact I own a Velar? Yes I am used to it but I haven’t always owned a Velar.
Post #834682 1st Jun 2020 7:53pm
spudfan

Ireland 
RDR wrote:
I have a test drive booked for Thursday, if all goes well and it passes the fit the dogs in the boot test a deal should be done. I am really liking the green the more i see it.

Don't forget to take the dogs along for the test drive just to check that they fit in the boot comfortably....and to see if they like it. Whistle 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #834683 1st Jun 2020 7:55pm
J77

Scotland 
RDR wrote:
Yep they taxed their demonstrators today. Quite looking forward to it, I'll let you know my thoughts. Our main concern (as usual) is the boot space and if the Dogs all fit in.

I’m surprised how small the boot in the 110 is. I don’t carry passengers much so the 90 will do me, when the dogs need to travel I’ll fold the seats down. If they ain’t happy with that they can dip their paws into their pockets and pay Laughing
Post #834686 1st Jun 2020 7:57pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 190 of 351 <123 ... 189190191 ... 349350351>